Sunday, April 2, 2017

#hairoftheweek: Three Rose Updo

Welcome to Spring 2017! I am feeling fresh and ready to tackle another season of #hairoftheweek, despite not having any idea about what types of hairstyles I want to do. Maybe spontaneity will be the theme of this season. It's worked out so far, but with a track record of one, we'll have watch this season's progress closely.

The Process:

Coming up with this hairstyle was quick and painless compared to some of last season's. I had no idea where I wanted to start and since I would be hanging out with my one and only Mikaela, I asked what kind of hairstyle I should do. Half up? Updo? Halo? Obviously the title has given it away by now; we decided on an updo. After that it was a matter of quickly searching on Pinterest to see if there was anything feasible. I found a tutorial that I never would have been able to do on my long hair and thought it was worth a shot.

The Tutorial:

This hairstyle is so easy, you'll want to keep it in your arsenal for any occasion ever. It's that pretty.
(1) Brush your hair and part it to the side with two thirds of hair on one side and one third on the other.
(2) Divide your hair into three equal sections at the nape of your neck. This is where having even part distribution comes in handy.
(3) Use a small elastic to tie three small ponytails at the nape of your neck.
(4) Braid each ponytail regularly as far as you can go. Tie them off.
(5) Pancake each braid as much as you can without compromising the integrity of the braid.
(6) One by one, wrap each braid around the base and use bobby pins to secure as needed, tucking away those loose tails.
(7) Now is a good time to make sure each "rose" is shaped nicely and that there are no gaps.
(8) Give your head a gentle shake to make sure everything will stay in place. Reinforce with bobby pins where necessary.

The Result:

3.31.17 three rose updo (x)
I bought this tie dye shirt because the colors reminded me of the "make it pink, make it blue" scene from Sleeping Beauty and since her name is Briar Rose, the hairstyle worked really well with the outfit. Don't forget to give it a like on Instagram if you haven't already!

The Verdict:

Before I had tried this hairstyle, I was unsure if my hair would cooperate. Small buns aren't a friend of my hair, but braiding it first really did the trick. I wore this hairstyle for nearly 12 hours. First Mikaela and I spent half a day in our new IKEA, then I chilled at home until it was time to go out for a family dinner with some visiting family friends. The buns stayed put all day and it was very comfortable to wear. Sometimes I'll get some hair pricking me or the bobby pins will end up jabbing my scalp but not this time around! I love that this updo is so elegant and can be dressed up or down. I may even consider wearing it to a wedding I'm attending this summer... It would certainly match my dress!


Let me know what you think of this hairstyle below! I really liked it, especially because it now carries a bunch of happy memories. If you have any hairstyle suggestions for the rest of the season (for my birthday hair, perhaps?) please feel free to leave them in the comments! As always, follow me on Instagram to stay up-to-date on #hairoftheweek and remember that the person with the most first likes at the end of the season gets an extra vote for Fan Favorite!


Talk to you soon!

xo, Yvette

3 comments:

  1. All this talk of buns and pancaking makes me hungry. Yay new IKEA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure I saw cinnamon buns on the menu at IKEA... Time to make another trip?

      Delete
    2. Yes! I think I had that the last time we were there. They're huge and only $1! (Unless that was a dream I had.)

      Delete