Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Book Talk: April Uppercase Review

Is there any better feeling than receiving an email that says your package has shipped earlier than expected? Probably, but it was just what I needed last week when my Uppercase box arrived. I'm not going to say this was the best box yet, but... It's a stiff competition.

hoggy warty hogwarts

Right off the bat, I was shocked by how thick the package was. (Make of that sentence what you will... 😉) My first thought was that Uppercase had sent me a tome. I wasn't far off, but the addition of this Hogwarts notebook definitely contributed to the bulk of this month's box. I'm in love with the shiny gold foil and the intricacy of the Hogwarts crest. Definitely a high quality item. It's even fancy enough to have one of those strips of fabric built in to use as a bookmark! The pages are nice and thick and feel like heaven. I live for stationary and this notebook fills my heart with joy.

the lovely pages
yin & yang

The next item I pulled from the box was this lovely Lord of the Rings-inspired watercolor bookmark from Ink and Wonder Design. It's paper thin so I thought it would literally be paper until I got a good look at it. I guess I wasn't wrong... I just got a little ahead of myself. It's pre-paper. Not only is this bookmark gorgeous, it's also an Uppercase exclusive! Nothing like an exclusive item to feel like your investment is worth it.

We also had a bonus goody directly related to the book itself and that is this hefty magnet! It was the big reveal for the month's book and I literally screamed. I send unboxing Snaps to my cousin and she can testify. I started reading the words on the magnet when I noticed the name of the author. I don't think you were wearing headphones but regardless, I apologize, Lauren, if I damaged your ears. 

beautifully swoopy
Ah yes, Claudia Gray. One of my favorite authors. If I'm honest, I was not aware that she had a new release. I know. I'm a bad fan. But in my defense, my ignorance only made my surprise all the more genuine. Just like the books I get in Uppercase, it's best to go in blind. So far the only science fiction books by Claudia Gray that I've read are in the Firebird trilogy (now that's what I call a trilogy!) but I know she's been branching into sci-fi a lot more recently what with her Star Wars novels. I'm excited about my previous months' books, but Defy the Stars (Is this the first time I mentioned the title? Whoops...) just might have to jump the line.

look at how those colors pop! (x)

I have to say I fully support having bigger bookish items in the box with the book because it protected my novel's poor corners. I was shocked by the perfect condition when it arrived. More often than not there are crushed corners but sometimes even the damage goes as far as tears in the covers. It's heartbreaking, but it's mine. Thankfully, I don't need to experience any heartache with this baby! Let me know what you think of this month's box below! I might not be getting them for much longer so we'll see how that works out... How will I ever survive without receiving new books every month??? If you have suggestions on how to cope, they would be helpful and appreciated.


Talk to you soon!

xo, Yvette

4 comments:

  1. Did you drool when you saw that notebook? I think I would've drooled anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It came in a sleeve of bubble wrap so the reveal was extra dramatic!

      Delete
  2. I love reading your uppercase reviews and its seriously making me want to subscribe to some sort of monthy book club.

    ReplyDelete