Sunday, April 30, 2017

#hairoftheweek: Black Hole Bun

Am I going to pretend that this blog post is not eight days late? Yes. Time is but a social construct anyway. Is enjoying the summer preview we've been having recently good enough reason to postpone this post? Who knows how long the warmth and sunshine will last? Carpe diem! Considering how late this blog post already is, I shouldn't delay any longer. On to the hair!

The Process:

I promised myself I would do more updos this season and I am doing my best to hold myself accountable. It had been a while since I'd done an updo so when I started looking for hairstyles, I kept that criteria at the front of my mind. Luckily, I've been saving up hair tutorial videos for this very purpose. It didn't take long for me to find this updo from Ania from Hairs Affairs. I fell in love with the look and I knew it had to make it into this season. The brevity of the steps appealed to me and the reliance on bobby pins for support worried me, but I figured it was a challenge worth tackling.

The Tutorial:

While the steps themselves are relatively simple, you'll want to pay attention because the execution is not as easy.
(1) Section off the hair in your crown and tie it off with a small elastic. I smoothed out the top so that I had no part line.
(2) Make a hole just above the elastic and flip the ponytail towards your head and through the hole.
(3) I find that with my hair texture, it's better to massage the hair gently rather than going through and manually loosening individual pieces, so do that.
(4) Take the remaining hair above your ears and bring them back into a second ponytail. Tie it off just underneath the first elastic.
(5) Flip this second ponytail twice and massage gently.
(6) Adjust the elastics to make them as close to each other as possible. Don't worry too much about this step because the bun part of this hairstyle ended up hiding both elastics anyway.
(7) If you have some texturizing spray, now is the time to break that baby out. I generally don't use products in my hair because I am very lazy, but I really could have benefited from it in this case. If anything, you can backcomb your hair, which is what I ended up doing.
(8) Bring the remaining hair together, smoothing out the edges to make it sleek, and make your loop. This step is hard to explain with words but it's very intuitive in practice. I would recommend watching the video for this part.
(9) Make sure your base is tight before making the twist lest you end up with weird loose hair at your hairline that you'll end up having to awkwardly pin down.
(10) Holding on to your loop, use bobby pins to secure it to your head. Be generous with your pinning. It's the only thing holding this hairstyle together.
(11) Once the bun is secure and the shape is to your liking, I would recommend going to town with some hairspray for some power and punch. Again, I do not use products regularly so I didn't have any hairspray on hand, but it would have been a huge help. All I had to rely on was my charm and poise. 😕
(12) Go about your day carefully and carry extra bobby pins in case a chunk of hair falls out, but carry your head high because your hair is super elegant and any sudden movements will make it fall apart. 👍

The Result:

4.28.17 black hole bun (x)
A week ago you said to me, "Where is this week's blog post, Yvette Do you believe I'll never be too far?" Don't forget to give it a like on Instagram if you haven't already!

The Verdict:

This hairstyle is undeniably gorgeous but it has a half-life (on my hair) of about an hour. It doesn't stay long and I had to redo it many times throughout the day. Unfortunately, each time I redid it, it looked worse. I think the most difficult part of this hairstyle is getting it to stay, but if you can accomplish that, it's perfect for any dressier (and not so active) occasion. One really good point Mikaela brought up when I was asking around for name ideas was that this hairstyle and "leather" jacket combo reminded her of a spy in the 1920s or 30s. I couldn't agree more. I live for that vintage aesthetic and I live for spies so I was so happy she brought it to my attention. Will this be my first foray into vintage hairstyles? 😏


I apologize for putting this blog post up over a week late, but life gets in the way. I hope the wait only built anticipation! The most important thing is that, at the end of the day, it was published. (And here we see an Yvette in her natural habitat throwing major shade at herself. 👀) Let me know what you think of this hairstyle and how it goes for you if you try it out! I get the feeling this was a one time thing for my stubborn hair. As always, remember to follow me on Instagram to stay up-to-date with #hairoftheweek (especially in circumstances like these) and don't forget that the person with the most first likes at the end of the season gets an extra vote for Fan Favorite!


Talk to you soon!

xo, Yvette

2 comments:

  1. One of my colleagues was singing this in the office today, what a weird coincidence. (or is it??) I appreciate all the scientific references in here like black holes and half-life. And yes to vintage hair styles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I understood more science so I could have really gone to town with the puns!

      Delete