Sunday, March 26, 2017

#hairoftheweek: Winter 2017 Recap

The beginning of this season feels like a lifetime ago. It's been one of my roughest quarters yet. Thank goodness it's over so we can start fresh after some much needed R&R. Before we jump into the next season however, let us enjoy the gallery of Winter 2017's hairstyles.

January

Hoth Leia Crown Braid

1.6.17 hoth leia crown braid (x)
What a way to start the season. Not only did I get to kick off the season (and the year!) by visiting my favorite teacher, Mr. Alegado, but I also was able to pay tribute to the late Carrie Fisher. It worked out perfectly since I'd been wanting to do a crown braid, I would've done a Star Wars hairstyle regardless, and Hoth Leia is my favorite Leia Look. And then there's the sunset! Everything to do with this #hairoftheweek has some sort of significance and those #hairoftheweeks, in my opinion, are the best ones. Read more about this hairstyle here!

Skills: Dutch braiding
Materials: 2 small elastics, many bobby pins
Difficulty: easy
Time: 15-20 minutes

Sleek Headband Braid

1.12.17 sleek headband braid (x)
For much of this season I was stuck in a rut and coming up with hairstyles to even try was more than half the battle. Luckily I had a small reserve to fall back on. Last year I went on a cruise and did my hair for dinner almost every night. They were all quick and easy hairstyles so, even though I hadn't planned on using them for #hairoftheweek, I whipped one out for one particularly desperate week (only the second!). Read more about this hairstyle here!

Skills: French braiding
Materials: 3 small elastics
Difficulty: easy
Time: ~7 minutes


Micro Braidback

1.20.17 micro braidback (x)
We all know I'm a Disney fiend and that includes Disney Channel (when I can get it) and DCOMs. One of the more recent DCOMs I've seen is Disney's Descendants, which spawned a spin-off mini series. These episodes are put up on Youtube every week but they're so short that I like to let them accumulate for a while before catching up again. This week I decided to binge (I use that term lightly, it took me all of 10 minutes to finish) the episodes I missed so I had Evie, one of the main characters, on my mind. Her signature hairstyle is ridiculously easy and perfect for a last minute #hairoftheweek. It was also an excuse for me to break out that blue sweater that I don't wear nearly often enough. Read more about this hairstyle here!

Skills: regular braiding
Materials: 3 small elastics
Difficulty: easy
Time: ~5 minutes

Upside Down French Braid

1.28.17 upside down french braid (x)
This one did not turn out as well as I'd imagined, but that was my fault for doing yet another last minute hairstyle. I did try practicing, but I didn't give it my 100%. Then I knew the day of would be busy so I rushed through it. Definitely could've done with some more care and deliberation. I do honestly believe this hairstyle would be easier to do on someone else. The handholds were just too foreign. At least the bun came out perfectly! Read more about this hairstyle here!

Skills: French braiding
Materials: 1 small elastic, 2 large elastics, a few bobby pins
Difficulty: medium
Time: ~10 minutes

February

Messy Honey Bun

2.2.17 messy honey bun (x)
It probably won't come as a surprise that the Messy Honey Bun was one of the most popular hairstyles this season. Just look a it! Fortunately this week I was able to spare some bandwidth for #hairoftheweek (after my exam, of course) and it paid off. Believe it or not, practice does make a difference. I love this hairstyle and I wonder if it'll still work now that my hair is shorter... I'm afraid to try in case it won't... No matter, that shouldn't stop you from trying the Messy Honey Bun! Read more about this hairstyle here!


Skills: Dutch braiding
Materials: 1 small elastic, many bobby pins
Difficulty: easy
Time: ~7 minutes (depending on how many adjustments you need to make)

Fishtail Accent Four Strand

2.9.17 fishtail accent four strand (x)
Going into this week, I knew I had to have a really good #hairoftheweek since it would be the last before my haircut. I searched high and low for a hairstyle worthy for such an occasion and worthy it was. Not every hairstyle gets to be Fan Favorite, after all. This hairstyle was made for long, thick hair and I am in love with it. Read more about this hairstyle here!

Skills: inverse fishtail braiding, four strand braiding
Materials: 2 small elastics
Difficulty: medium
Time: ~20 minutes

Lollipop Pigtails

2.15.17 lollipop pigtails (x)
At last! The long-awaited haircut! This was another #hairoftheweek with a bit of a story. I did have quite some time to build it in my head. I wanted to keep the hairstyle itself to be simple to show off the new length so I compensated for its simplicity in the rather complex backstories (yes, multiple!) for this #hairoftheweek. Read more about this hairstyle here!

Skills: rope braiding
Materials: 2 small elastics
Difficulty: easy
Time: 3 minutes


Half Up Top Knot

2.24.17 half up top knot (x)
Funnily enough, once my short was too short to put in a proper top knot, I was itching to put it in a top knot. Go figure. Thankfully there was a simple solution. Just do it with half the amount of hair! Well, in my case, it's actually a third or a fourth of my hair. But you get it. Add however much hair your want. It's definitely not a very serious hairstyle and it's a silly feeling walking around with a mushroom on your head but pair it with the right outfit and you've got a winner. Read more about this hairstyle here!

Skills: top knotting (?)
Materials: 2 large elastics, 2-3 bobby pins
Difficulty: easy
Time: 5 minutes

March

Bubble Pigtails

3.3.17 bubble pigtails (x)
This hairstyle was a long time coming. A few months ago Perrie Edwards from Little Mix wore this hairstyle to some sort of event (it's been a while) and Allison sent me pictures suggesting it for a future #hairoftheweek. I couldn't fit it in at the time, but I took the suggestion to heart and here we are! This would be a fun hairstyle to wear if you're going to have an active day and still want to look cute. Read more about this hairstyle here!



Skills: n/a
Materials: 10-12 small elastics, 1-2 bobby pins
Difficulty: medium
Time: 12 minutes

Tuxedo Fishtail

3.10.17 tuxedo fishtail (x)
Would you be surprised if I told you this was another last minute hairstyle? If it does catch you off guard, you surely have not been paying attention to this blog post at all. This week I stood in front of a mirror for a while before the Tuxedo Fishtail came to me. I had seen this style around a lot in the past couple months, usually in a tandem with some other element, but I figured why not just wear it alone? It's simple and gorgeous. Read more about this hairstyle here!

Skills: fishtail braiding
Materials: 1 small elastic
Difficulty: medium
Time: 10 minutes

Fan Favorite

#tbt Fishtail Accent Four Strand

3.14.17 #tbt fishtail
accent four strand (x)
I don't get a vote for Fan Favorite, but if I did, I would've chosen this one this season. There were a couple real contenders up there but it was this one that had the greatest potential for change. With my new length, I wasn't sure if I could do all the hairstyles pre-cut, but I had a game plan for this one. I also had made some simple mistakes the first time around that I adjusted for in the redo and it worked out perfectly! Even the nature of the hairstyle changed when I reworked it. It takes a bit of time, but it's worth every second. Read more about this hairstyle here!


Skills: fishtail braiding, four strand braiding
Materials: 1 small elastic, 1 large elastic
Difficulty: medium
Time: ~10 minutes

Bonus

#tbt Hourglass Loop

3.22.17 #tbt hourglass loop (x)
If you take a look at this hairstyle's blog post, you'll find a whole explanation about this look's history so I'll tell you a little more about the process of putting it on Instagram. I had no idea what I was going to call this hairstyle let alone what the caption should be. Per protocol, I sent this hairstyle to Allison for some inspiration/feedback and she told me it gave her a bookstore vibe. While I waited for her to reply, I was fiddling with filters and the like when I realized the hairstyle resembled an hourglass. Then add on top of that my recent viewing and listening of the live action Beauty and the Beast. All the pieces fell into place flawlessly. Read more about this hairstyle here!

Skills: French braiding
Materials: 1 small elastic, 1 large elastic
Difficulty: easy
Time: <10 minutes


I love writing Recaps because it gives me a chance to reflect on the season as a whole. It's also nice to have a compilation of the entire season in one place. Looking back on each individual #hairoftheweek transports me to that exact week. I can relive the events and thoughts that happened at the time just by looking at these photos. What a valuable thing to have. Please let me know what your thought of this season and what your favorite hairstyle was! We'll be back soon with some more #hairoftheweek on Instagram so don't forget to follow me there!


Talk to you soon!

xo, Yvette

2 comments:

  1. Whoa. Disney Descendants has a descendant. That's like... 16 descendants!

    Honey bun all the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so close to being Fan Favorite! Only missed out by a smidge.

      Delete