Sunday, March 19, 2017

Book Talk: March Uppercase Review

The theme of this month's box was timing. Had I stuck to my original plan and actually blogged, this box's arrival would have aligned perfectly with the amount of time I had to prepare this blog post for publishing. Unfortunately, I did no such thing, but I did get to see Beauty and the Beast the morning this box arrived! You'll see why that's coincidental under the cut. 😉

sticker & print

First things first: LOOK AT HOW AMAZING. The book hoarder sticker is the cutest thing and the book print is the most gorgeous thing. The matte sticker is an illustration of a red dragon guarding a whole cache of novels from Alexis Lampley, who does Nerdy.Post! I only wish I could afford half as many books as this dragon sits on. As with all other stickers I receive, I have no idea if I will ever stick it anywhere but it will always be stuck to my heart. 

After taking these photos I realized I had the book print sideways the whole time. It should look like a stack of books, not a bunch of crooked books on a shelf. My bad. Either way, the gold foil is absolutely gorgeous. I gasped when I pulled it out of the bag. This is by Bella Adele Co and would make such a lovely gift. Everybody could use a little more art in their lives. 

socks & bookmark
The last goody in this box is a pair of Jane Austen socks from SockSmith. My current sock situation is a mess. I've got a bunch of socks that are losing elasticity. As if that weren't bad enough, they're all no-show socks so by the time I get to class my socks are down by the arch of my foot. Neither cute nor comfortable. A taller pair of new socks is just what I needed and the color combination is so beautiful? I'm here for it. 

Now we're moving into book territory! The book this month is Hunted by Meagan Spooner and Uppercase has so kindly included a quote bookmark from the book. The bookmark is a mirror image of the cover, which features a girl looking like she may be looking forward to spending a few days in the sun, and it reads, "She had always wanted not so much a thing as everything, something, beyond naming, something more than." Reading this quote, I can't help but think about Beauty and the Beast, the film I saw in theaters prior to opening this box. Why is that important, you ask? Hunted is actually a Beauty and the Beast retelling! I am rather fond of retellings and for all this Beauty and the Beast stuff to be happening within hours of each other is quite serendipitous.

signed, of course.
On top of all that, Meagan Spooner is one of my favorite authors! She co-wrote the Starbound trilogy, a trilogy I will sing praises for until the day I die. I am ready to jump on board with anything she writes. Most retellings have a little "something more" to keep things interesting so, like our protagonist, I am hoping for something more than. I may hold off on reading this book, no matter how excited I am for it, because I want to live in the magical world Disney built with its remake a little bit longer. I have a feeling this one may not be as ✨ as the film. 


days in the sun will
come shining through (x)

We got a good box this month! I'm actually impressed by the timing of this box and my movie-going experience (if not my lack of timeliness when it comes to blogging). I need to find a place to display that stunning print. Maybe looking at it will inspire me to read some classics! Of the seven I've only read one. Whoops. And The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe is not as thick as the print would suggest. I am not off to a good start. What part of this box is most exciting to you? Let me know in the comments below! 


Talk to you soon!

xo, Yvette

2 comments:

  1. I think that's the only one in the stack I've read too. Hunted sounds good! What a coincidence! (If you believe in coincidence that is.)

    ReplyDelete