Wednesday, March 22, 2017

#hairoftheweek: {Bonus} Hourglass Loop

Every season I look forward to Bonus #hairoftheweek because that means I get some time off of school. Winter's Bonus only grants me a single week but, even so, the tension in my temples and shoulders have all but disappeared. Miracles do exist.

The Process:

There were a few factors that came together for this Bonus #hairoftheweek, but you all know by now some of my past hairstyles have had some fairly complicated backstories. Since my spring break is only one week and I don't have much time between the Fan Favorite and the Recap, I typically do my hair the previous summer and hold on to it for this very occasion. I did not do that this past year. Fortunately, you may know that every year my family hosts a Christmas party for our family and friends. In the last couple years since I started doing #hairoftheweek, I have been able to make the Fall Bonus #hairoftheweek my Christmas party hairstyle. However, the date of the party this past Christmas did not line up with the #hairoftheweek schedule. Now I can bring it full circle -- the hairstyle I wore for our family Christmas party in 2016 is this season's Bonus!

The Tutorial:

I cannot get over how sweet this half-up do is. So soft and lovely.
(1) Brush your hair.
(2) Section off the top of your hair using the arch of your eyebrows as a guide.
(3) French braid this top section, adding in hair for a few stitches. You should stop incorporating more hair at the crown of your head.
(4) Braid the rest of the way regularly and tie it off with a small elastic.
(5) Gather about an inch of hair by your temples on either side of your head and bring them together UNDER the braid.
(6) Tie this ponytail together with a large elastic but on your last loop only pull the hair halfway through. This loop can be as large as you'd like but there are a couple things to keep in mind: 1) don't go past the small elastic on the braid and 2) leave enough of the tail to wrap around the elastic, which, coincidentally, is the next step.
(7) Take the leftovers of your ponytail and bring it to the side of the pony that it naturally wants to go. Do not fight the flow. Gently twist the tail and wrap it around the elastic as many times as necessary. Tuck it into the elastic under the ponytail.
(8) Make sure the hair in the loop is not covering up the braid and you are good to go!

The Result:

3.22.17 #tbt hourglass loop (x)
Winter turns to spring... 🌷☃🌻 Don't forget to give it a like on Instagram if you haven't already!

The Verdict:

It's been a while since I'd worn this hairstyle but I remember like it was yesterday. The French braid gives you a bit of volume at the top and the gently pulled back hair gives the hairstyle such a soft look. My hair is quite stiff and stubborn so it is a miracle that I was able to wrap it around the elastic. That feat itself makes this hairstyle a guaranteed winner in my book. I wonder if I could recreate it with shorter hair... My current length would be considered medium but that tail might not be long enough to stay put around a ponytail, alas. Honestly, I wore this hairstyle for a Christmas party (have I beat you over the head with that enough yet?) but I think it would be absolutely perfect for spring. This hairstyle paired with a floral sundress? The most Instagram-worthy #ootd ever.


That's a wrap! The last thing we need to do to close out Winter 2017 is the Recap, which will be coming ON TIME on Sunday! Let me know what you think of this hairstyle in the comments below! Also if you have any ideas for future hairstyles for #hairoftheweek, please don't be shy! I am open to suggestions. As always, follow me on Instagram to stay up-to-date on #hairoftheweek!


Talk to you soon!

xo, Yvette

2 comments:

  1. The little knot reminds me of a soft pretzel, probably because I'm hungry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That must be it. We could all do with a soft pretzel.

      Delete