Wednesday, March 15, 2017

#hairoftheweek: #tbt Fishtail Accent Four Strand

Perhaps I overestimated myself. While I did a great job at balancing everything else I needed to do, xo, Yvette fell to the wayside. If I'm smart with my time I'll be up to speed in a few days! Expect a lot of hair posts this week. Better hop to it then! Shall we?

The Process:

In seasons past I've given about five days for voting but this time around we had some scheduling issues. I'm not sure having more time this season would have made much of a difference anyway since there was a clear favorite. In all honesty, I was secretly hoping this hairstyle would win. As you may know, I cut my hair halfway through the season so I was going to have to figure out how to rework the hairstyles I did at the start to accommodate shorter hair. The Fishtail Accent Four Strand was the only one I had a plan for. On top of that, I made a mistake that was too costly to go back and fix so I was able to remedy that with this new version. Fate put all the pieces in place for me.

The Tutorial:

This version is largely the same as the original Fishtail Accent Four Strand but it takes much less time, as you can imagine.
(1) Brush your hair.
(2) From your temples, section off your hair by going back two inches and all the way to the top of your head, meeting at the middle. This will be your starting point.
(3) Divide this section into four equal parts. Skim a little bit extra for the fishtail section.
(4) The second section will be your fishtail section. Take this section and do a regular fishtail.
(5) When your fishtail has been braided as far as it will go and tied off, pick up those three other sections and pick up those other three sections and begin that four strand braid! Here is where you should murmur "over, under, over" to keep your place.
(6) Add in big chunks of hair every time you start a new stitch. Keep this as tight as possible! It is very easy to lose control with shorter strands.
(7) Once you've added in all your hair, pause for a moment and find the fishtail. Tug on the fishtail to straighten the accent braid.
(8) Tighten anything that loosened up before tying everything together.
(9) Use a large elastic to finish the braid at the nape of your neck. Make sure you've collected all of your hair in the ponytail because, speaking from experience, it's embarrassing if you don't.
(10) At this point you could release the small elastic you used to tie the fishtail, but I wanted that extra bit of security so I wiggled it into the ponytail to hide it among the rest of the hair.

The Result:

3.14.17 #tbt fishtail accent four strand (x)
This version of the Fishtail Accent Four Strand is very secure. The day I wore this hairstyle was the day I had to put all the sheets back on my bed. I broke a sweat but my hair didn't move an inch. Don't forget to give it a like on Instagram if you haven't already!

The Verdict:

What can I say about this hairstyle that I haven't said already? The Fishtail Accent Four Strand is a stay-all-day hairstyle and is gorgeous. If you have some time in the morning, a little extra effort will go a long way. I am so happy I had the chance to rework this one and try something different with it. I will definitely be revisiting this hairstyle in the future. I didn't invest all this time into it for nothing!


You know I love a good four strand and this is one good four strand. It's business in the front and party in the back, but far classier in my opinion. That should be the tagline for this hairstyle. The Classy Mullet. As always, follow me on Instagram to stay up-to-date on #hairoftheweek! We have one more hairstyle to cap off the season before we get to the Winter 2017 Recap so sit tight!


Talk to you soon!

xo, Yvette

No comments:

Post a Comment