Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Visiting Voices: Christmas Movies

I wanted to do something special for Christmas and seeing as the big day is still two days away, there's plenty of time left to sit down and enjoy some Christmassy flicks. I've recruited my roommates to pitch in their all-time favorite Christmas movies for this post so you can get a taste of what our apartment will be watching this season. Under the read more there are three of our favorite Christmas movies (and why we love them) and we'd love to hear what your favorite Christmas movies are so let us know! Let's get to it!

Amreen's Pick: How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000), dir. Ron Howard

I've been borderline obsessed with How the Grinch Stole Christmas ever since I first saw it as a little kid. So much so, that I made my mom go buy the movie the next day just so I could watch it again. There are many aspects of this movie that I adore. For starters, you get to see why the Grinch is the way he is more so than in the cartoon version. He was picked on from the start for being different. People never game him the chance to show them who he truly was. He always had good in him, he just needed someone to have faith in him and to help him realize he was good. I love how this movie shows that almost every person deserves a second chance and an opportunity to be heard. As we grow older, it seems harder for us to give second chances to others due to the fact that we have seen what the world can offer but for younger children, who are still innocent, it's easier. Which is exactly why Cindy Lou Who was the one who saw the potential in the Grinch. The movie helped me see as a child that anything was possible to achieve and it didn't matter how small I was, I could make a difference in someone else's life. The story of the Grinch has many life lessons that not only a child can take away but also an adult. I feel like I will continue to love this movie no matter how old I get because of the positivity it brings and of course, Jim Carrey's portrayal of the Grinch WASWAS (thanks Linda) done so amazingly and with such comedic timing that left me in awe. If there is only one movie you are able to watch this winter break, I would highly recommend How the Grinch Stole Christmas.

Kayesee's Pick: Elf (2003), dir. Jon Favreau 

I have been watching Elf ever since I was a little kid, and I still continue to watch it today. Not only is Elf my favorite Christmas movie, it is my favorite movie of all time. Every scene in this movie will leave you with a smile on your face or a warm feeling in your heart. The best aspect of this film is that it teaches lessons to its audience, no matter the age. It articulates the idea of accepting others that are different from you, and opening up your heart to them. This is an important lesson for children to learn, and for adults to be reminded of. The comedy in this movie is fantastic, too. The main character, Buddy the Elf, has become a legend, and even has a Facebook page dedicated to his character with nearly 10 million likes. The world has fallen in love with this movie and I hope that you take some time this break to indulge in what has become a must-see holiday classic.

Yvette's Pick: Christmas Vacation (1989), dir. Jeremiah Chechik

Most movies become favorites when you watch them as children and mine is no different. Growing up, my family wasn't big on watching Christmas movies -- or any movies, really -- together so I don't have as wide a variety to choose from but one film that stands out is National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. When you hear the name "National Lampoon," your mind immediately conjures up the image of Chevy Chase as Clark Griswold and his family's antics in all their Vacation movies. At least, that's what happens to me. This movie has me rolling with laughter and there are some very iconic moments in it. Having last seen this movie years ago, I'd completely forgotten about the Chesters, the Griswolds' yuppie neighbors. Their recurring jokes had me laughing every time they came on screen. I could actually go on and list off every character in this film because each of them have their moments, leaving you with nonstop laughs. If you haven't seen this holiday classic yet, do track it down because it will be worth your time. Our family is constantly making references to Christmas Vacation and you're missing out on a lot of fun if you haven't seen this (or any of the other) Vacation movies. Hip, hip hooray, for Christmas vacation


We've got a good selection of Christmas movies here but I want to know your favorite! There are plenty out there and I can think of a handful that would easily be favorites for a number of people. It's only the day before Christmas Eve so there's still time to enjoy all these great movies! There really is no better time.

Thank you to Amreen and Kayesee for being awesome roommates and helping me write this post! (Diamond is awesome, too. So awesome that everybody wants her and she's stretched very thin this holiday season. Maybe you'll catch her in a future post... ;) ) I am clearly not qualified to write this post on my own so I am very grateful my lovely roomies were willing to lend a hand during this season of giving.


Talk to you soon and have a merry Christmas!

xo, Yvette

2 comments:

  1. I love Elf! Also, A Christmas Story. Christmas Vacation is one that I still need to see. I feel like they should play Christmas movies on TV at least all the way through New Year's. That way I can watch it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Christmas Story is a classic. I'm surprised that they don't. They seem to in the UK, based on the Vlogmas I've been watching.

      Delete