Sunday, December 6, 2015

#hairoftheweek: French Fishtail Accent

Since #hairoftheweek's seasons last as long as my academic quarters, I'm always anticipating getting to Week 10. That signals the end of instruction for my classes so all that's left are final exams. That's not exactly something to be glad about but just think how close it is to being over... This time of the quarter is also exciting because I get to hear your feedback on the season! Fan Favorite is one of the best parts of #hairoftheweek because everybody gets to join in on the fun.

The Process:

There were two parts to coming up with this hairstyle. The first part actually happened early this year in Spring 2015. I had taken the front part of my hair and French fishtail braided it to the temple and continued the rest of the way with a regular fishtail. When I pinned it back or left it down, it always looked incomplete so it was put on the back burner and never made it to #hairoftheweek. Recently, I wore this hairstyle for my dad's birthday but instead of a French fishtail, it was a regular French braid. It also gave me an opportunity to use this headband, which I never had an outfit to wear with. The look of the headband with the French braid reminded me of the French fishtail I'd been playing with and this hairstyle was born.

The Tutorial:

Depending on where you like your headband, you may have to experiment with the placement of your fishtail. (1) Take two small pieces of hair to be your origin and make one stitch without adding in any hair. (2) Break a tiny piece of hair from the strands and add a small piece of hair in. You don't want to take pieces that are too big because that will result in a braid that looks too much like a regular French braid. Also, pay attention to how far back you go when you pick up hair from the side further from your face. Where you take your hair will determine where your headband will lay. (3) Continue to French fishtail braid until you hit your temple. At this point, stop adding in hair but keep fishtail braiding for another inch. Make sure you braid in the direction you want your fishtail to go so you don't end up with that frustrating bump at the corner. Another tip is to not go too far or you'll risk the elastic showing past the headband. I was lucky enough to estimate the perfect length for the headband to cover the elastic perfectly the first time. (4) Put on your headband! I made sure to position mine where it would cover my part and hide the elastic.  (5) Fix up any hair that's not where you like it (the hair around my ears always gets messed up when I actually put the headband on) and you're ready to go!

The Result:

12.2.15 french fishtail accent (x)
Another hairstyle that's perfect for everyday and the headband adds a pop of color. Don't forget to give it a like on Instagram if you haven't already!

The Verdict:

When I first wore this hairstyle with a regular French braid, I braided all the way down and let the braid blend in with my loose hair but when I untied it, the top of the braid stayed perfectly. While I'm sure the fishtail would've stayed put if I had undid the elastic, I didn't want to risk it with a fishtail (especially a French fishtail) that takes a lot longer to do. I wore this hairstyle for pretty much the entire day because I liked the fishtail accent so much. That's not much of a surprise seeing as I've been toying around with this hairstyle for months. You can't be stuck on something for so long without at least really liking it. This hairstyle is extremely wearable and you'll be looking cute as a button.


I cannot believe I actually made it an entire season consisting of only my originals. When I first decided I would try to go for the whole season of originals, I thought it would be a long shot but here we are. Granted, there's still the bonus #hairoftheweek, but I've made it this far, I can come up with one more for our Christmas party's sake.

Now is the time to vote for the Fan Favorite #hairoftheweek! Starting from the Variety Bun, all the way to this week's French Fishtail Accent, you can vote for your favorite #hairoftheweek! Check out all the hairstyles over on my Instagram. Just let me know your pick in the comments below or on Twitter or wherever. You only get one vote so make it count!


Talk to you soon!

xo, Yvette

6 comments:

  1. your headband makes me want to be a cuter person

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's nothing in this world that would make you cuter than you already are.

      Delete
  2. Wow that's amazing that you did all original hairstyles this season. Not only does that require a lot of creativity, but also a lot of talent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kayesee! I appreciate your appreciation.

      Delete
  3. Dang, I wish I could do 10 straight weeks of original baking recipes. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That could be a special some day! A bake-a-thon!

      Delete