Sunday, December 27, 2015

#hairoftheweek: Fall 2015 Recap

Now that we're officially done with the season, it's time to consolidate everything into one post for your viewing pleasure. It's like a gallery of sorts. I'm really proud of Fall 2015 because I came up with all the hairstyles myself so each of them have an extra special place in my heart. It's been a memorable season and everybody seemed to be enjoying it as much as I have. Click on that "read more" to see all of the hairstyles from Fall 2015!

September

Variety Bun

9.30.15 variety bun (x)
The hairstyle to kick off the new school year. I was really excited for this hairstyle because I thought it was unique and customizable, not like much I've seen around the internet. It's versatile and looks great with anything. The Variety Bun may take a little more time than your average hairstyle but it's so worth it. I've worn it on multiple occasions since and it adds a little something extra to any outfit. Read more about this hairstyle here!




Skills: Dutch braiding, French fishtail braiding, topknot
Materials: two large elastics, two small elastics
Difficulty: hard
Time: 15-20 minutes

October

Half Up Snake Accent

10.7.15 half up snake accent (x)
The Half Up Snake Accent has also become one of my go-to hairstyles. It's actually very very similar to my everyday hairstyle but that accent changes the entire game. The texture of the snake braid alone is enough to kick any hairstyle up a notch. Read more about this hairstyle here!

Skills: regular braiding
Materials: two elastics, one bobby pin
Difficulty: easy
Time: 5 minutes

Swoopy Half Up

10.14.15 swoopy half up (x)
My favorite part of this hairstyle is how simple it is. It's so quick, in fact, that it seriously can be done as you're walking out the door. (I may or may not know this from experience.) There are no harsh lines and it requires minimal materials. It requires the same amount of materials as my everyday hairstyle (if you take the minimalist route) but it's such a step up with the makeshift headband made of braids. Read more about this hairstyle here!



Skills: regular braiding
Materials: three elastics (two are temporary)
Difficulty: easy
Time: < 5 minutes

Faux Half Shave

10.21.15 faux half shave (x)
The Faux Half Shave was so much fun to wear. This was the first hairstyle that came to mind when I got my first ear cuff for my birthday this year and I have been waiting to execute it for such a long time. The day I wore this hairstyle I felt like such a bamf. I even wore my spikiest ear cuff to complete the look. I also love how my hair on the other side of my face makes my silhouette so defined. Read more about this hairstyle here!

Skills: Dutch braiding
Materials: one elastic, bobby pins
Difficulty: easy
Time: < 5 minutes

French Twisty Bun

10.26.15 french twisty bun (x)
This hairstyle actually came to be because of my outfit that day. I wanted to wear one of my sweater dresses since this one had a high neck, I had to come up with some sort of updo. The objective was to keep it simple (which allows the attention to stay on the dress) but also create an interesting hairstyle that wouldn't be plain or boring. Mission accomplished, I'd say. Read more about this hairstyle here!




Skills: rope braiding, topknot (optional)
Materials: two large elastics, one small elastic
Difficulty: medium
Time: 10 minutes

November

11.4.15 chain rope accent (x)

Chain Rope Accent

This hairstyle's a bit of a throwback in #hairoftheweek history. I wanted to bring back a little something from the original #hairoftheweek into this season. Admittedly, I was kinda stumped on what to do for this week but I'm in love with this look. There's so much you can do with Chain Rope Braids so you can definitely expect to see it again in the future. Read more about this hairstyle here!

Skills: rope braiding
Materials: three small elastics
Difficulty: easy
Time: < 5 minutes

French Lace Duo

11.9.15 french lace duo (x)
Personally, I think it's pretty clear that this hairstyle was inspired by Khaleesi from Game of Thrones but it didn't start out that way. When I came up with this hairstyle, I had one element in mind: lace braids. I spent a lot of time standing there in my bathroom trying different ways to turn my hair into a cool lace braided hairstyle when I just backtracked and did something simple to see where it would take me. Thank goodness I did because that's when inspiration struck. With the help of my beloved Amy, we worked towards this final product that I have also worn on many an occasion. It's also super comfortable -- your scalp doesn't get sore -- and it's looks great because hello volume. Read more about this hairstyle here!

Skills: French braiding, lace braiding
Materials: three small elastics
Difficulty: easy
Time: < 10 minutes

Dutch Lace Bun

11.18.15 dutch lace bun (x)
After such a successful foray into the French lace braid scene, I thought I'd flip it and try to come up with a Dutch lace braid hairstyle. Since my hair is now the perfect length to be making topknots, I had to take advantage and pull this all up in a bun.  It was another sweater dress day so everything fell into place. It was fate. Read more about this hairstyle here!

Skills: Dutch braiding, lace braiding, topknot
Materials: one small elastic, two large elastics
Difficulty: easy
Time: < 10 minutes

Fishtail Flip Crown

11.23.15 fishtail flip crown (x)
We've braided and twisted our way to Thanksgiving week and thankfully I was smart enough to think of this hairstyle weeks ahead of time to minimize stress in cramming all the last minute things I had to do before break. One less thing to worry about. The concept for this hairstyle came from me thinking how much I love these crown hairstyles (the everyday hairstyle I keep referring to is a crown) and how interesting fishtails can look. After pulling the fishtails apart a bit and making the crown, I flipped the crown twice (flipping is also part of my everyday hairstyles) and I was left with a gorgeously interesting hairstyle. I was thinking about how cool fishtail braids look and how much more dimension they'd have if they were twisted as well. Read more about this hairstyle here!

Skills: (Dutch) fishtail braiding
Materials: three small elastics
Difficulty: medium
Time: 15-20 minutes

December

French Fishtail Accent

12.2.15 french fishtail accent (x)
The week before was my dad's birthday and this was the hairstyle I wore for his birthday dinner. I had to use the hairstyle I'd reserved for Thanksgiving the week of so this hairstyle was pushed another week, even though I'd been workshopping this hairstyle for far longer. I'm always looking for an excuse to wear headbands, especially this one because of the colors, so I seized the opportunity. Read more about this hairstyle here!

Skills: French fishtail braiding
Materials: one small elastic, one headband
Difficulty: easy
Time: 5 minutes

Fan Favorite

#tbt French Lace Duo

12.9.15 french lace duo (x)
It was surprising how close the race was for Fan Favorite. For a while no hairstyles had gotten more votes than any other. Near the end, there was a two-way tie for both first and second place before there was an influx of votes that tipped the scale, making it a three-way tie for first. The anticipation just kept on building because, even though I was collecting more votes, they weren't for the hairstyles in the top three. It was a fun competition and some people got very passionate about their choices and that made me all the more excited. Read more about this hairstyle here!

Skills: French braiding, lace braiding
Materials: three small elastics
Difficulty: easy
Time: < 10 minutes

Bonus

Dutch Pigtail Wreath

12.19.15 dutch pigtail wreath (x)
I was really excited for this hairstyle because it was for our annual family Christmas party and the hairstyle suited the occasion so perfectly. I hadn't intended for it to look like a wreath because it started out as a different hairstyle so this was all just a happy accident. This is a really nice updo for the holidays and a great alternative to a bun if you want all your hair swept up to show off your dress. It looks a lot more intricate than it actually is so you're going to leave a lot of people impressed by your super complicated updo. Read more about this hairstyle here!

Skills: Dutch braiding
Materials: two small elastics, as many bobby pins as you need (four minimum)
Difficulty: easy
Time: 10 minutes


Having been in the habit of coming up with new hairstyles every week for three months, it might be hard to go back to recreating tutorials. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited to get to a bunch of the tutorials I've saved in these past couple months but my mind is constantly looking for inspiration to draw from for future hairstyles. Don't miss next season, Winter 2016 (!!!), on my Instagram! Follow me over there to stay up-to-date and remember the more first likes you have, the higher chance you have of winning that extra vote for Fan Favorite at the end of the season!


Talk to you soon!

xo, Yvette

5 comments:

  1. I'm beloved <3

    "if you want all your hair swept up to show off your dress" I KNOW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did you do your hair when you wore your dress today?

      Delete
    2. I curled it and pulled the sides back bc that's pretty much all I can do my guy

      Delete
  2. I think Mochi's tail is long enough that I could practice some of these on it. (If he stayed still long enough.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually can see that happening. (The tail being long enough to braid not the staying still part.)

      Delete