Sunday, December 20, 2015

{Bonus} #hairoftheweek: Dutch Pigtail Wreath

This might be one of my personal favorite creations but that just might be because I wore it for our annual family Christmas party! I'm also quite chuffed with myself because I stumbled across this hairstyle on accident. Sometimes all it takes it just a bit of messing around to find what you didn't know you were looking for.

The Process:

This was actually going to be a different hairstyle. Not entirely different, but different enough that the look of the hairstyle would be noticeably altered. I won't get too much into the original version in case I decide to use it for a future #hairoftheweek so I guess now is a good time to start talking about the actual bonus hairstyle, right? One day my hair was really bothering me, falling in my face and all that, so I thought I'd try something new. I have a bit of a baby face so I wasn't sure if pigtails would work on me. I was afraid I'd look too childish but since I went for Dutch braided pigtails it looked more Tumblr-cool than second-grader, which is great news. I would've just left it at that but one side of my neck is extremely ticklish (just thinking about how ticklish it is makes it tickle... it's highly sensitive) (and I'm not going to name which side for my own safety) so I was playing with the pigtails to get it off my neck. I ended up creating this bun that looked really intricate but, in all honesty, would be a lot easier to create if my hair were a bit longer. So I toyed around with that idea for a little before I came across this hairstyle we have here.

The Tutorial:

(1) Part your hair right down the middle and choose which side you'll be working with first. Tie the other out of the way. (2) Take about an inch of hair from your hairline going along your part and start Dutch braiding. Be sure to have added in all hair by the time you've gotten to the nape of your neck. Tip: make sure the hair around your ears are pulled back extra tight because when the pigtails are relaxed, that section tends to poof out. (3) Braid as far down as you can go and tie it off. (4) Repeat Steps 2 and 3 on the other side. (5) Take one of your pigtails and bring it up towards the opposite side of your head, along the nape of your neck, and following the curve of the other pigtail. Bobby pin as you see fit. Try to complete the circle but if your hair isn't long enough, don't worry about it. (6) Do the same with the second pigtail. Make sure the two braids overlap and create a wreath-like shape. Bobby pin as you go. (7) Tuck in and hide away any tails and make sure you're happy with the shape. Also give your head a shake to make sure everything is solid. Once you like the way it looks, you're ready to go!

The Result:

12.19.15 dutch pigtail wreath (x)

The camera chose to focus on the wreath rather than the hair and I'm kinda annoyed but also lowkey offended. Was my hair not interesting enough for the camera?! Don't forget to give it a like on Instagram if you haven't already!

The Verdict:

I'm in love. I usually find updos difficult to do because they take a lot of pinning and hoping it stays put throughout the day. Trying to fight gravity isn't usually the easy thing to do. This hairstyle, however, seems to be the rebellious sort. I honestly did not expect the wreath to stay as well as it did. I was ready to have to take a break mid-party to pin things back in place but that was not necessary at all. Maybe it was strategic pinning, maybe it was the hair gods blessing me. For whatever reason, this hairstyle stayed put despite my finding bobby pins that have loosened throughout the night... What in the world was keeping this thing from falling apart?! (I'll be frank -- it is 3:30am while I'm writing this so everything amazes me at this point. It very well be a verdict if I write it beforehand!) The hairstyle itself was a hit among the family and friends in attendance it was perfectly glamorous for a holiday party. I would definitely recommend this style and it's so easy that even a failed attempt would be worth it.


Phew! I think this hairstyle was the most fun of the season to create, possibly because I knew so many people who appreciate my hairstyles would be able to see it in person. The braids give it a lot of dimension and people thought I spent a lot more time on it than I actually did. Not gonna lie, I'm probably going to end up wearing it again to hang out with my friends this break because I really don't want to take it down even now. This is truly the final hairstyle of Fall 2015 but stay tuned for the Recap that will be coming your way soon! Meanwhile, follow me on Instagram to see what I'm up to and so that you don't miss the return of #hairoftheweek in January!


Talk to you soon!

xo, Yvette

4 comments:

  1. Maybe the camera was just confused and thought the wreath was like some weird hat you were wearing and tbh if I thought you were wearing a wreath hat I would focus on that, too.
    This hairstyle is officially #yamy because of the dress js

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wearing a wreath as a hat is like the ultimate flower crown. #yamy

      Delete