Sunday, May 31, 2015

#hairoftheweek: Half Loop Braidback

We are closing in on the end of the quarter which means Spring 2015 is coming to an end as well. Worry not! There are three more #hairoftheweek posts (four, if you count the Recap) before the end. Gotta make 'em count! For now, we can enjoy this #hairoftheweek together.

Don't forget to follow this blog either via email or on bloglovin and follow me on Instagram to keep up with #hairoftheweek!

The Process:

When this hairstyle was first posted to Cute Girls Hairstyles last year, I thought to myself that there as no way I could do that by myself, but here we are. I thought this one was unique because a majority of hairstyles in the same vein as this usually are placed closer to the top of the head. Recently, I was going deeper into the archives of some of my favorite hair blogs to find some inspiration and I could not pass this up. It was such a refreshing thought to think, "Hey, I could probably do that!" and have your next thought be remembering how you thought it was out of your league not even a year ago.

The Tutorial:

If you're familiar with the feathering technique (and have toned arms), the Half Loop Braidback should be a breeze. I would highly recommend doing this hairstyle on wet hair (similar to the Feathered Braid from Winter 2015). Unlike the Feathered Braid, however, you're only feathering one side of the braid. It's definitely wise to part your hair closer to the middle, if you don't already, so that you don't end up with one hunky and one wimpy braid. Trust me, even the hunky one starts getting wimpy towards the end and you do not want to expedite that process. I have a straight hairline so I pretty much sectioned off starting from where my hairline ends straight back to about an inch and a half. I wanted to leave some hair over my ears and I also didn't want there to be a bump when I pulled the hair back to tie it together. Once you do tie it together, you'll want to check that it's centered because it probably isn't. Be patient when fixing it because you don't want to pull too far in one direction and ruin a loop. I like to keep my tails tied until the very very end when I know for sure I won't be needing to adjusting it any further before releasing the unused braid.

The Result:

5.27.15 half loop braidback (x)
I definitely could have smoothed out my hair a bit before taking the picture but a couple hours in Bath & Body Works will make anybody forget how to properly perform cognitive functions. Don't forget to give this hairstyle a like on Instagram if you do! (Like it, that is.)

The Verdict:

I absolutely love this hairstyle. Wearing this hairstyle was a very different sensation. The braidback landed on my neck, and I don't think I've ever had a hairstyle on that part of my head. It looks really cool and I got a compliment or two throughout the day. As I mentioned earlier, it is so much easier to manage if you do it on wet or damp hair. It controls the flyaways as you pull out each of the loops and gives them some definition. I love how this hairstyle makes it look like you have a halo, especially if your loops aren't too defined, I say as I contradict myself. It really depends on what kind of look you're going for but any way you style this one, it's going to turn out beautifully. Although you may want to make sure the hair that's supposed to be laying smoothly doesn't cramp your style (or ruin a picture).


Only one more #hairoftheweek until voting begins for the Spring 2015 fan favorite! Check back on Wednesday for my May Wrap Up (it's a good one) and next Sunday for our final #hairoftheweek! Let me know what you think in the comments and if you ever try this hairstyle, give me a nudge because I want to see it!


Talk to you soon!

xo, Yvette

4 comments:

  1. "I say as I contradict myself" is my favorite line. Also, you look like a princess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your words are kind, Amy. Thank you. (I reckon you could do it on your hair.) (Or have someone else do it.)

      Delete
  2. Ditto to Amy's princess comment. It's really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Steph! I was trying really hard not to lean against it too much in when I was the movie theater.

      Delete