Sunday, May 10, 2015

#hairoftheweek: Rope Accent Fishtail

Happy Mother's Day! Give your mom a big hug from me! I hope you get to go outside and enjoy this sunshiny day with your family. I'll be stuck inside (for most of the day) studying for the tests I have coming up this week. Even though these are only midterms and a lot of my other friends on semester are already done, the end is near and soon I will be free. Just gotta push through this final month. Until then, we can relish in #hairoftheweek.

The Process:

You know how I love hairstyles with a subtle accent and I couldn't let this season go by without one. I've also been missing my fishtails. Winter 2015 was fishtail-heavy for a reason. Because of this, I went out in search of a unique fishtail braid when I came across this one by Princess Hairstyles. I was instantly intrigued. What's not to love? It's all my favorite things. Plus, falling in love with a hairstyle makes my life so much easier. I don't have to keep hunting and you are probably going to love it as well. There are no losers.

The Tutorial:

This one is really simple to do, but I did have a little trouble keeping the fishtail braided over the rope braid from loosening up. The only difference between this braid and a regular fishtail is that you make a rope braid in the middle before you begin fishtailing. To begin, you start fishtailing as you normally would, then eight stitches in (four on each side), bring the rope braid to the top and continue fishtailing underneath the rope braid for another eight stitches. Repeat this process until you run out of hair. I found that this created a bobble-like look to the fishtail as some parts were tighter than others. It'd look cool to leave it but I opted to pancake the tighter parts, which may not have been the smartest choice. I found this Rope Stitched Fishtail Braid tutorial on Princess Hairstyles' blog.

The Result:

5.7.15 rope accent fishtail (x)

Lots of flyaways, but otherwise, I have no complaints. Don't forget to go give it a like on Instagram if you haven't already!

The Verdict:

This particular fishtail had a lot more strays than other fishtails I've done previously. I think if I had just left the braid alone it would've been more interesting and may have prevented some of the flyaways. Overall, I really liked this hairstyle it's subtle enough to pass for a regular fishtail but those little details make it really unique. After the initial jailbreak of stray hairs, I didn't encounter any further problems. I actually thought it would fall apart based on how messy it got within the first hour but it actually held up until it was time for bed. I don't know if I'd go as far as to say this would be good for sports but it'll be able to handle an active day.


I hope you enjoyed looking at this one much as I did wearing it and if you try it out, definitely let me know! Don't forget to follow me on Instagram and check back on Wednesday at 4pm PDT for a new type of book talk!


Talk to you soon!

xo, Yvette

4 comments:

  1. Again, collarbone game so strong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very unique, I like it. I'm intrigued about this new type of book talk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoy it. I'm excited to write this new type of book talk. ;)

      Delete