Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Book Talk: Stand Alone Recommendations

Recently I haven't been reading many stand alones but a conversation with Allison sparked my interest and I thought I'd compile a list of a couple of my favorite stand alones to share with you. These days, it feels like every new release is the first in a trilogy so much that I actually find it shocking when I finish a book that gives me closure. For this list, I tried to select books from a variety of genres, just to give you some options and to have no connections between these books beyond the singularity of their existence.

For more book talks, checkout my April Wrap Up and add me on Goodreads to see what I'm currently reading!


We Were Liars by E. Lockhart 


Published: May 13th, 2014
Pages: 225 pages

Ah, what an interesting read. I think I would peg We Were Liars as a mystery. For this reason, I won't go into the plot too much, as it's best to go into mysteries knowing little to nothing, but what kind of a blogger would I be to recommend you a book and not give selling points? One of the first things that hooks you is the poetic writing style. Within the first couple chapters you get metaphors so jarringly vivid that you might actually be taken aback. I had to go back and reread the page twice before understanding what had happened. This and an unreliable narrator has you confused and questioning pretty much every moment in the book. There are also themes of race and classism, as well as other topics that are too spoilery for this blog. While there are some problematic aspects (looking at you, execution of plan/climax which I cannot discuss), it's worth the read. It may also be worth a reread since it's so short and there are details you missed during your initial read. It's a little bit creepy (I'm thinking similar to Mara Dyer (even though I haven't read that yet whoops but if you know what I'm getting at you'll understand)) and the end is somewhat up to interpretation so that's always fun. Read. Enjoy (hopefully). Discuss. 

Cryer's Cross by Lisa McMann

Published: February 8th, 2011
Pages: 233 pages

Lisa McMann is one of my automatic read authors, and for good reason. It's been many years since I've read this one so I'm not solid on all the details but I can tell you that even thinking about this book still gives me the creeps. The description of this book makes it sound like there's been a kidnapping in this tiny, tiny town (population: ~200) or something but it is so much more sinister. It also sounds like it's a romance-heavy novel but, trust me, it's not. Cryer's Cross is similar to We Were Liars in that it's creepy (although they are different kinds of creepy) and short, but the similarities (probably) end there. (I didn't mean to put these two so close together but alphabetical order will do as it pleases.) Again, since this is a mysterious horror-ish book, it's best to go in without knowing much. But hey, it's only 233 pages. You've got nothing to lose.

V for Vendetta by Alan Moore & David Lloyd

Published: October 12th, 2005
Pages: 296 pages

If you recall from my January Wrap Up, I read this graphic novel for class. Usually assigned books are my worst nightmare but V for Vendetta was actually interesting. This book has a lot of dystopian themes that hark back to the Axis Powers in WWII with Nazi Germany and Fascist Italy. This graphic novel is so complex and has ties to the events occurring in England at the time of its initial publication. It also plays with the ideas of right versus wrong and makes it clear how bad society can become in the wrong hands. I personally have a fascination with the symbolism of the letter V (which is fitting seeing as I wrote one and half essays on it). If you read V for Vendetta, I'd love to hear your interpretation of the letter. Also, the fact that it's a graphic novel alone makes for a unique reading experience if you didn't grow up reading comics. There is a lot more to pay attention to and that really adds a layer of complexity that a text-only book wouldn't be able to achieve.

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

Published: September 10th, 2013
Pages: 433 pages

This next book is a cutesy contemporary (and also a coming of age) novel by Rainbow Rowell. Choosing between all of Rowell's books is actually a very difficult task because they all give you such intense feels. I decided on Fangirl because it was more lighthearted and happier than Eleanor & Park (although I recommend E&P as well). Fangirl is the story of a girl who basically lives on the internet and is now off to her first year of college. Oh yes, there is also a boy. Excuse me while I squeal over the thought of [name of book boyfriend that would be a spoiler if included so I guess you're gonna have to read it]. Another detail I love is that the protagonist, Cather, is a twin and her sister's name is Wren. Cather... Wren... Get it? There's also a Harry Potter-esque phenomenon going on in this world (but Harry Potter also exists? we don't really have an answer for that) that Cather is a fangirl of and that's where she finds her sanctuary in this new and slightly terrifying chapter of her life. If you want fluff and a story that'll make you squeal with adorable overload, this is the book for you.

The Chaos of Stars by Kiersten White


Published: September 10th, 2013
Pages: 277 pages

I absolutely flew through this book. Like, one day flew through it. I enjoyed it that much. This book is based on Egyptian mythology and I know your first thought is probably the Kane Chronicles, but it's nothing like Rick Riordan's world. The Chaos of Stars is a fun novel with romance and complicated family relationships (think soap operas on steriods), seeing as Isadora is a mere mortal and her family is literally the Egyptian gods. Since she's expected to live a normal life, she's shipped from Egypt to San Diego to live with her brother and his family. While she's there she learns things about her and her family that change her perspective on her life (and also, surprise, her family). The romance may be a little predictable but it's all good fun. (There also may or may not be a crossover of some sort...) The Chaos of Stars is a great book if you want to salvage your book count and add another to your read pile, but it's also perfect if you're in the mood for something light and cheery. 


There you have it! Five of my favorite stand alone novels. I never noticed how short the stand alone novels I've read are. None of these, other than Fangirl, break 300 pages. Despite their brevity, these are all really satisfying stories. I tried to include a range of genres but looking back at my list of stand alones, I haven't read very many, so a couple of the ones I've given to you overlap with each other. If there are any other themes or genres you want to see recommendations for, leave it in the comments! (Forewarning: I read primarily young adult novels so that's basically the extent of my book knowledge.)

As I mentioned in the intro, I haven't been reading many stand alone novels as of late so if you have any recommendations for me, let me know in the comments below! I am always looking for books that tickle my fancy and if it's one that's already on my to-read shelf, a good word from you will most definitely push it up the list.


Talk to you soon!

xo, Yvette

4 comments:

  1. When I was deciding on books to read for the Popsugar challenge, it was a struggle to find stand-alone novels. I didn't want to read the first in a series and feel like I was making a commitment to read the others. I've only read 2 stand-alones so far this year, so your list is appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I could help! Finding stand alones these days is definitely a challenge if you don't really know what you're looking for.

      Delete
  2. Cryer's Cross has been on my bookshelf for literally years and I haven't gotten to it. I'm pretty sure that's the same author that wrote the Wake series? (Have you read those?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and yes. The Wake trilogy was actually the reason why I picked up Cryer's Cross. That, and I was at a point in my life where I only read creepy books.

      Delete