Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Movie Moments: Top 5 Movies in 2016

I'm a little late to the party with this post. It's February and I am just now getting to a round up of last year? My January was packed full with blog posts and to be fair, I've only seen one movie so far in 2017 so it doesn't even feel like my movie year has started. Is that a good enough justification? Regardless, I need no more excuses because the time has come! My Top 5 of 2016! Here we go!!!

Movies I saw in 2016:

  1. Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015), dir. J.J. Abrams 
  2. Deadpool (2016), dir. Tim Miller
  3. Eddie the Eagle (2016), dir. Dexter Fletcher 
  4. Zootopia (2016), dir. Byron Howard & Rich Moore
  5. Batman V. Superman (2016), dir. Zack Snyder
  6. Captain America: Civil War (2016), dir. Joe Russo & Anthony Russo
  7. X-Men: Apocalypse (2016), dir. Bryan Singer
  8. Finding Dory (2016), dir. Andrew Stanton & Angus MacLane
  9. Star Trek Beyond (2016), dir. Justin Lin
  10. Suicide Squad (2016), dir. David Ayer
  11. Doctor Strange (2016), dir. Scott Derrickson
  12. Moana (2016), dir. John Musker & Ron Clements
  13. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016), dir. Gareth Edwards
  14. Sing (2016), dir. Garth Jennings

If you're interested in my thoughts on each of the movies I watched in 2016, be sure to click on the titles because that will take you to their respective Happy Hubs! Now for my Top 5. Like last year, I have them in the order that I saw them in.

Eddie the Eagle (2016), dir. Dexter Fletcher

(x)

Okay, so we're all aware of my love of Taron Egerton and Hugh Jackman, right? If not, you have not held a conversation with me. If you did know, then this movie making it onto my Top 5 is no surprise. Of course, it takes more than my favorite actors to get a film onto my Top 5 list. (It certainly doesn't hurt, though.) Eddie the Eagle is so heartwarming and inspiring and silly and adorable. I don't watch many sports movies so this was something different for me but I can't imagine it was anything innovative in terms of feel-good sports movies. Oh yeah, it also takes place during the Olympics. That's another thing you'll know I love if you know anything about me. Honestly this film was a recipe for success tailored just for me. Just writing about it makes me want to go watch it again. You know what? I think I'll do just that. 😉 


Zootopia (2016), dir. Byron Howard & Rich Moore

(x)

Sometimes the universe simply needs something and Disney is there to deliver it. Zootopia was released at a ridiculously appropriate time in American history and it was a narrative we desperately needed to hear. What better way to tackle touchy topics like racial discrimination, bullying and, like, respect for others??? Outlandish, I know. Unfortunately that is the world we live in but Zootopia brought up these issues (and an appropriate reaction and/or response to them) in a very palatable manner. The message resonates with many and to have everything unfurl in a way that doesn't feel in-your-face. An overall delightful film with some important messages that should reach as wide an audience as it can. 


Star Trek Beyond (2016), dir. Justin Lin

(x)

I have one complaint about this movie. Only one. That motorcycle scene. Would it have killed the post production team to splurge a little more for something a bit more realistic? The VFX in that scene was enough to take me out of it for a moment, but otherwise this movie was phenomenal. It was refreshing in a way I can't quite pinpoint. I had so much fun with it and the fact that 2016 was Star Trek's 50th anniversary makes it all the better. I also have a hard time saying no to Chris Pine, believe it or not. (Actually, it's not that hard to believe. This is me giving you a free pass to Google "desert hooker." Enjoy.) Another thing I have a hard time saying no to is Hamilton: An American Musical and I can't help but think the whole movie is a tribute to Yorktown (The World Turned Upside Down). It makes sense if you've seen the film. Speaking of tributes, Leonard Nimoy and Anton Yelchin. My tears didn't even bother waiting for their cue. 


Doctor Strange (2016), dir. Scott Derrickson

(x)

I was expecting to love Doctor Strange, because I have high expectations for Marvel movies, but Doctor Strange blew my expectations out of the water. Having had some time to digest it, I can easily say it is my favorite first film to any Marvel Studios franchise to date. Certainly the best origin story. This movie took me on an emotional roller coaster that I was more than happy to endure. I am completely obsessed with the Time Stone and all the dimensions we could explore. Imagine the possibilities! I also am looking for a good shot of Kaecilius's hair because I'm really trying to do it for a #hairoftheweek. I'm into it. I love what this movie does for the MCU. Infinity War is going to be so good and I believe we have confirmation for a Doctor Strange appearance in Thor: Ragnarok. Don't worry if you aren't excited yet because I am more than happy to be excited in your stead. (If I start literally buzzing please call a doctor of some sort. They need not be Strange.)


Moana (2016), dir. John Musker & Ron Clements 

(x)

Moana. Need I say more? No, but I guess I should anyway. The characters! The music! The animation! The everything! I'm going to be real with you for a moment: if you aren't absolutely head over heels for Moana, you haven't seen it yet. I love everything Moana stands for as a princess. I love how listening to the soundtrack transports you to Polynesia. I love the familial relationship dynamics. I love Heihei. I love Lin-Manuel Miranda. Everything is top notch. I, myself, am not Polynesian so I cannot speak to the accuracy of the portrayals but the fact that all the voice actors were of Polynesian descent gives the film an authenticity that could be created in no other way. 11/10 would watch (and cry) again. 


The first draft of this list consisted of half the films I watched last year. That was a tricky situation. Deadpool and Captain America: Civil War did make it into my list of seven, but I figured everybody else was giving them so much love that I would give them a break and show some love to some less conventional picks (this comment is mostly @ Eddie). I also don't think having superhero movies accounting for more than half the list would be very fair. I had a solid movie year but I know I missed a lot. What movies did you see in 2016 that I missed? Anything you think I should definitely see? Are there any movies I saw last year that you think should've made it into my Top 5? Please let me know your thoughts in the comments! I'm looking forward to hearing from you and to having another great year in films!


Talk to you soon!

xo, Yvette

4 comments:

  1. 1) wow listen if you like zootopia you're gonna love the x-files
    2) Civil War didn't make it bc it was ruined for you...by someone....idk who

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly I forgot about that until just now you really just did that to yourself.

      Delete
  2. Desert hooker: Yes.

    3/5 I saw with you. Coincidence? Doubtful.

    ReplyDelete