Sunday, February 19, 2017

#hairoftheweek: Lollipop Pigtails

For weeks now I have been almost literally dying to cut my hair. It was spectacularly poor timing because Chinese New Year but now that has passed, I am free to chop off all the hair I want. Since I had been longing for this for so long, I've had more than enough time to come up with a perfect #hairoftheweek debut for my new shorter hair.

The Process:

Before we continue, I would like to advise you to not Google the name of this hairstyle. I always look around to make sure I'm not taking a name that is more apt for another hairstyle (and that I'm not stealing anybody else's idea) but I should have known better. Be wary of the search results. Most of them will be adult sites. Please stay here where it is safe and I am only talking about hair and space and Disneyland. Doesn't that sound much nicer?

There are a few factors that went contributed to the overall final product. First, I wanted to keep this hairstyle as simple as possible to keep the focus on the new length, but I didn't want it to be just a picture of the haircut. I could get away with it if it were a Bonus #hairoftheweek but there was no way I could wait until then. Second, Amy sent me this lovely Gemini necklace for Christmas (or my birthday tbh I can't be sure) and I wanted its debut to be with my NASA shirt. Because of Gemini's nature, I knew this hairstyle had to be pigtails. What other hairstyle shows off a shorter hair length and can be considered twins? I couldn't think of any. In the past I had done Double Inverse Fishtail but I also didn't want the two pigtails to be exactly alike. Real life twins are never perfectly identical. Everything was aligning perfectly for this hairstyle. On top of all of that, I also have been on such a HUGE Disney Parks kick these past couple weeks and I watched a couple vlogs that visited Candy Palace at Disneyland and you already know I spotted those lollipops in the background. I know your first thought is probably those big circle lollipops but I'm talking those twisted ones like these. I really thought this out.

The Tutorial:

Simplicity is the name of the game here.
(1) Brush your hair and part it however you like.
(2) Separate your hair down the back into two equal sections. Put one to the side.
(3) Divide the section you're still holding into two equal sections and rope braid them away from your face as tightly and as far as you can go. Tie it off.
(4) Repeat Step 3 for the other side of your head. Your twists should be going in different directions.
(5) Gently adjust any lopsided spots in your twists and you're ready for blast off!

The Result:

2.15.17 lollipop pigtails (x)
I asked around for some songs about horoscopes, astrology, and the like, but I didn't get any back with lyrics suited for the photo. Then I thought I'd do "I know a girl who's tough and sweet" but it clashed too much with the vibe of the picture. As you now know, I ended up using the saying on my shirt. Tried and true. Don't forget to give it a like on Instagram if you haven't already!

The Verdict:

I looked a little childish all day and my layers at the bottom of my hair made for rather delicate twists but I wouldn't have done any other hairstyle. I put so much thought into this one, it was too late to turn back. The childish look was actually quite fitting because this NASA shirt was given to me as a child. By some miracle I can still get it over my head and on to my torso. I can't say getting it off as as smooth a ride. Overall, I'm super proud of this #hairoftheweek even if it isn't very complicated.

What do you think of this hairstyle? Of my haircut? Were you expecting it? There was a lot of intent in this photo and I hope I explained it well enough in this blog post. It's been a long time coming and I feel free as a bird. As always, follow me on Instagram to stay up-to-date with all things #hairoftheweek and don't forget that the person with the most first likes at the end of the season gets an extra vote for Fan Favorite #hairoftheweek!


Talk to you soon!

xo, Yvette

2 comments: