Sunday, February 5, 2017

#hairoftheweek: Messy Honey Bun

I spent the first half of my week preoccupied with my first exam of the quarter. There was not a moment or brain cell to spare to think about #hairoftheweek, but somehow that worked out in my favor. The quick thinking required of me lead me to a hairstyle that I was very, very happy with. More happy, even, than if I were eating a real messy honey bun. 😉🍯

The Process:

I was in the market for a long hair hairstyle because I wanted to take advantage of the length I had while I had it when I came across this tutorial by Confessions of a Hairstylist. It was gorgeous and, upon reflection, I realized that I had actually been doing this hairstyle as my go-to travel hair. The side Dutch braid is something I've been doing for my past couple trips (great for long flights) and it takes very little to level it up to this elegant updo.

The Tutorial:

Have you ever been short on time and had a bunch of bobby pins you didn't know what to do with? This hairstyle is perfect for you!
(1) Brush your hair and try to avoid a part line.
(2) Grab a small section of hair from the front and begin a side Dutch braid. Direct the braid to the side you prefer. For me that was my left side.
(3) When you're nearing the nape of your neck, guide the braid towards your other shoulder.
(4) Finish braiding and tie it off.
(5) Massage the braid and gently pancake it to give the hairstyle a softer look.
(6) Lay your braid in a circle at the back of your head along the nape of your neck and over the the Dutch braid. Tuck the leftover braid underneath the circle.
(7) Pin that braid! Use as many bobby pins as necessary, but quality over quantity.
(8) Give your head a gentle shake to make sure it's secure and if it stays put, you're good to go!

The Result:

2.2.17 messy honey buns (x)
I would like to thank Amreen for naming this hairstyle! It's much cuter than "Side Dutch Braid Updo" or whatever it would have ended up being named. Don't forget to give it a like on Instagram if you haven't already!

The Verdict:

Usually I struggle with updos because of my hair texture and weight but this one was very easy to wear and held up for the entire day. There were little wispy hairs escaping at the bottom of the style where the braid was rubbing against the hood on my coat but a bobby pin makes that an easy fix. I also loved that pancaking a Dutch braid naturally loosens the hair so if you braid tight and don't go overboard with the massaging, you'll end up with the perfect amount of volume and those little pieces framing your face will fall out on their own. 10/10 would recommend this hairstyle.


Something I didn't notice until Allison brought it to my attention was how this photo reminded her of Star Trek. The color of my dress and the way the sky bridge made it look like I was looking out over a hangar of some sort. I am very into that aesthetic. What do you think of this hairstyle? Would you recreate it? Let me know in the comments below! As always, don't forget to follow me on Instagram to stay up-to-date on #hairoftheweek! Also keep that extra vote for Fan Favorite in mind. We're moving into Week 6 and I have yet to have a repeat first-liker this season. Jump on that train while you still can!


Talk to you soon!

xo, Yvette

3 comments: