Sunday, June 12, 2016

#hairoftheweek: #tbt Rapunzel Faux Braid

A large weight has been lifted off my chest. Not only has the pressure of school been (temporarily) relieved, there have also been a lot of exciting things happening since I walked out of my last final of the year. It's an all-around good situation. It feels good to be able to finally have some time to read and sleep and relax. Time is such a precious commodity. It always seems to be just out of reach when you need it most...

The Process:

As you can probably recall from the past week, I have been pestering everybody to submit their vote for their favorite hairstyle from Spring 2016. There were a lot of great contenders this season but one hairstyle pulled ahead by the slightest of margins. Just one vote pushed the Four Strand Waterfall Spume into second place and placed the Rapunzel Faux Braid at the forefront. People were slow getting their votes in this season so I didn't get a chance to practice before I had to do my hair for real. I mean, I was already stressed from finals, what's a little bit more from having to wing a #hairoftheweek?

The Tutorial:

This section will follow the original very closely, just sped up. More on that in the conclusion. In my rush, I made some mistakes, but you'll see that it didn't compromise the integrity of the hairstyle too much. (1) Divide your hair into a middle part then French braid the top of your hair on either side of the part. (2) Tie the two braids together halfway down your head and flip the combined braids like a topsy tail. Remove the elastics holding onto the individual braids. (3) Take a substantial section of hair from each side of your head and tie them together high enough to cover the elastic keeping the braids together. Flip it. (4) Take the tails leftover from the braids, add a little more hair from each side, tie it together under the previous flip, and flip it. (5) Repeat with the previous tails, adding in hair until there is no more hair to add in, all the way down to the bottom. (6) At the end, bring those tails up to the underside of the faux braid and tuck them into the elastics for a clean finish. (7) Tug on the faux braid to loosen it up and give it some more volume and you're ready to go!

The Result:

6.9.16 #tbt rapunzel faux braid (x)
It was a fight against fluorescent lighting to get a good photo of this hairstyle but I think it turned out alright. Don't forget to give it a like on Instagram if you haven't already!

The Verdict:

I had planned this out so that I would be wearing the Fan Favorite for Milgard's Celebration of Excellence, the School of Business's annual awards ceremony, where I would be inducted into Beta Gamma Sigma, the most prestigious business honor society. Hold on, lemme pick up all those names I just dropped. Okay, where were we? Right. The ceremony started at three and I didn't finish my final until noon. I had three hours in between to eat lunch, do two loads of laundry, pack up as much of the apartment as I could, and get ready. There is not enough time in a day. I got a lot of what I needed to do done, but I was cutting it really close by the time I got around to dealing with my hair. I misjudged and accidentally ended up with a really big chunk to work with which made the other section pretty measly in comparison. I also was working against the clock so I didn't have much time to spare to pay attention to detail. That plus my exhausted (from packing) arms resulted in some lousy craftsmanship. The bottom half of the faux braid was angled to the left and the tail did not want to stay in the elastics. It was a little bit frustrating, but it gave a the hairstyle a different look, which is what Fan Favorite is the perfect opportunity for. In fact, I think the end result of this hairstyle worked better for the occasion than the original would have.


Thank you for your votes! It's always so exciting to get feedback on each season's hairstyles and it's even more exciting when an original wins Fan Favorite. It was extra special being able to wear it to such a special event. As always, don't forget to follow me on Instagram! #hairoftheweek is going on hiatus for the summer while I work on collecting and creating some new hairstyles but my Instagram will still be active! I post other life things on my Instagram and you don't want to miss out.


Talk to you soon!

xo, Yvette

4 comments:

  1. The people who were slow getting their votes in was me I caused you stress I'm sorry!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You exposed yourself. *insert side-eye emoji*

      Delete
  2. I think you should also be inducted into another honor society for how much you did in 3 hours. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really did work myself to the bone that day. I mean, the fact that I could do anything after a calculus final?! I'm probably eligible for superhero status.

      Delete