Sunday, June 19, 2016

#hairoftheweek: {Bonus} X-Bun

Happy Father's Day! I'd love to be in full celebration mode, but it's hard to when I have school tomorrow. School? In summer? Blasphemy. I'm grateful that it's online because I won't have to change out of my pj's, but I'm also worried I won't have a lot of motivation since it's online... Oh well. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Hopefully my productive side kicks in and I get stuff done. I've got a lot of things to get to this summer and I guess this class will just have to be one more thing on my list.


The Process:

This was originally going to be the final #hairoftheweek of Spring 2016 but I realized it would be perfect (and would give me a great sense of satisfaction) if I saved it for the day I saw X-Men: Apocalypse in theaters. I'm glad I had a backup. This hairstyle was inspired partially by Mikaela and partially by Kayley Melissa. I asked Mikaela to give me some ideas for hairstyles to wear to visit Alegado and she suggested I do something I hadn't done in a while and a bun was the first thing that came to mind. That's when I set out to find some inspiration. Kayley Melissa had just posted her Tiny Braid Hairstyles tutorial at the time and the bun really called to me.

The Tutorial:

If you want to see it in action, check out Kayley Melissa's video but I tweaked some things because we obviously have very different hair types (and apparently head shapes as well). (1) Brush your hair and pull it up into a high ponytail where you want your bun to be. (2) Before tying it off, pull some hair on either side of your neck at the nape of your neck. I do not have this down to a science so I don't have any tips for this because it was a frustrating step for me. On Kayley, her braids start a lot farther apart and I do not have the real estate for that. I think I took less hair than her and yet my braids still ended up very close together. (3) Clean up the sections and tie the high pony. (4) Braid each section regularly. Kayley braided hers normally (pointing down) but if I were to do that, there would be the biggest bump at the base of the braid. I braided mine up and diagonal for a little bit just to establish the base. After that, I brought it down and finished the braid normally and tied it off. Repeat with the other section. (5) The only nice bun I can make with my hair is a top knot so now is the time to do that. I guess retrospectively if you can do a messy bun right away, you can get this step done in Step 3. (6) Bring those braids up diagonally across your head. Wrap it around the base of the bun and tuck the tails into the elastic holding the bun. I found that I braided too far down and had to retie my braids a little higher up so the small elastics don't show in the final product. (7) Now's the time to fix up your bun (or mess it up) and make any other final adjustments. It doesn't take a mutant to shapeshift your hair into this bun.

The Result:

6.14.16 x-bun (x)
The entire film was punctuated by the sounds of my quiet whine and heavy breathing. I may or may not have gotten a little sweaty... Don't forget to give it a like on Instagram if you haven't already!

The Verdict:

I have to give a shout-out to Mikaela and Steph for helping me take this photo. It was borderline nightmare how uncooperative my hair was being. I mean, I could've tried to get it done before we watched the movie, but then we would've missed the beautiful moment when we walked into that gorgeously empty theater. Even if others filed in later, we still got to choose the best seats in the house. It's also a miracle that most of those wild baby hairs were phased out of that photo. It was honestly such a mess. Other than those personal issues, this was a pretty fun hairstyle to wear. Since my X is so narrow, it's more The X-Files to me than it is X-Men, but I'll take either. The braids were a little loose so the center of the X would shift up and down throughout the day. It's just like wearing a normal bun with a little extra flair in the back.


Make sure you give your dad a little extra love today! He certainly deserves it. Growing up, my dad shaped me to be the witty girl I am today so while wearing this hairstyle to see X-Men: Apocalypse did not take a lot of effort on my part, I still felt very clever about it and I have my dad to thank for that. You always find it in the little things. As always, follow me on Instagram to keep up with the happenings in my life. #hairoftheweek is on hiatus now but there's still much to enjoy in life and those are the kinds of thinks that I'll be putting on Instagram. Tune in next week for the Recap! It's got a lot going for it.


Talk to you soon!

xo, Yvette

4 comments:

  1. I know this is perfect because you saw X-Men but it would also be perfect if you watched X-Files js

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying I gotta stop making plans with people and doing homework and truly cleaning my room so I can hide away and binge X-Files

      Delete
  2. That wall enjoyed your checking it out for so long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that wall intimately. It's hard to walk past it now without acknowledging what happened between us.

      Delete