Sunday, June 5, 2016

#hairoftheweek: Multistrand Pull Through

The end of the school year is coming up real fast and I am being bombarded by pretty much everything. In a time when I should be shutting myself in my room to study, I've got presentations to prepare, award ceremonies to attend, and high school teachers to visit. I'm not complaining, it's just a lot more stimulus than I'm used to. All that on top of the super summery weather we've been having (especially after that chilly May) makes for a very unfocused Yvette. Finals aren't that important, right? Scratch that. They totally are. Time to get my head in the game... after I talk about the season's final #hairoftheweek.

The Process:

It's been a weirdly short week for me and my mind hasn't been on finding a new hairstyle for #hairoftheweek since I was so focused on my birthday hair last week. Thankfully I didn't have to look too hard to find this one. I was scrolling through Princess Hairstyles and came across their Multistrand Pull Through Ponytail tutorial. It was so unique that I had to give it a shot. The final result ended up looking very different from what I've seen from the tutorial as well as on Instagram (x, x) but I know I followed all the steps. That's what makes this hairstyle so special. It'll be different for each person. This is even more so the case when the tutorial and all the other photos you see online are done on someone else. I had to make some changes in order to recreate in on myself, but it was well worth it and very easy as well!

The Tutorial:

As I said before, this is my own spin on it to save my arms and it's also probably the best way to DIY this hairstyle. Feel free to tweak the steps to adapt to however you're doing this braid. (1) Bring all your hair over one shoulder and brush it. No tangles allowed in this hairstyle! (2) Divide your hair into two equal parts horizontally. You should have a top and a bottom chunk. (3) The first "bubble" is the hardest so if you can control all the pieces in this part, you're set for the rest of the braid! The size of each strand you take is entirely up to you (this is where you can do some experimenting because different thicknesses create different looks). Take a strand with one hand from the top and hold it in the other (there is a specific handhold (the only one that feels natural) and that's with the top pieces clamped between your index and thumb, and the bottom pieces between your middle and index). (4) Bring a strand from the bottom to the top. (5) Repeat this all the way across the hair until everything is included. I let the final strand be a bottom (to top) strand. (6) Once you've moved all the top hair to the bottom and vice versa, tie up your new bottom section. Make sure you leave out that final top strand! (7) Repeat these steps as many times as you can. Every other bubble or so, pause and fluff out the strands if you so desire. The longer you wait, the harder it will be to get those strands moving. (8) Once you've completed your last bubble, you can tie both sections together, but you'll find that (if you're not truly at the ends of your hair) the ends will stay just fine on their own. This way, it looks like you haven't used any elastics. It looks like it's held together by some form of magic.

The Result:

6.3.16 multistrand pull through (x)
No easy love could ever make me feel the same... Don't forget to give it a like on Instagram if you haven't already!

The Verdict:

I forgot to mention this earlier, but I pinned back what would be my bangs before dividing my hair into two chunks. That kept the baby hairs out of my face and provided a little something something up top. This was a very comfortable hairstyle to wear and it caught a lot of people's attention. I'm sure they were wondering how it kept its shape when there were no elastics in sight. One minor issue I had was with my hair deflating every so often but that was probably my hair texture more than the hairstyle itself.

I was thinking about giving this hairstyle a more creative name, but the thing is, the look is completely different depending on your hair texture, the size of your strands, how much you pancake it, and a plethora of other variables. Before I came to this decision, I asked my friends to help me brainstorm and I got responses such as a string of pearls, a woven texture, or a fluffy caterpillar. All very creative and fitting, but this hairstyle is so personalizable and can vary so drastically that it's best to stick with a generic name.


Can you believe it's already time to vote for your Fan Favorite?! Times seems to have moved fast and slow at the same time. It feels like it was only yesterday that I created the first hairstyle of the season and yet it also feels like an eternity has passed. If you could recall, the first Spring 2016 #hairoftheweek was the French Four Strand Accent. Now that means any hairstyle from that to this is fair game for Fan Favorite! Be sure to cast your vote! Any way you wish to contact me is fine. An Instagram comment, a Tweet to me, or even a comment on this post. I can't wait to hear from you!


Talk to you soon!

xo, Yvette

4 comments:

  1. "....it caught a lot of people's attention" do I need to fight someone for looking at my wife

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have at it I'm not gonna stop you but now they have at least four hours advance notice if you get on a plane right NOW.

      Delete
  2. This hairstyle still mesmerizes me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it! Every time I look at it I think of how it felt like I had a pillow against my neck all day.

      Delete