Sunday, November 15, 2015

#hairoftheweek: Khaleesi | French Lace Duo

Stepping out of the box wasn't the intention for this week's #hairoftheweek but that's what ended up happening. I wasn't sure about this one because it's so different from what I've usually done for #hairoftheweek but I have some wonderfully supportive friends that inspire confidence in me and reassure me that different is okay.

The Process:

I went into this hairstyle with one element in mind: lace braid. I had a very vague idea of what I wanted out of it so I messed around until I ended up with something that reminded me of a dragon. Turns out I wasn't far off. Sometimes I need to workshop my originals so I'll send "drafts" to a single creative consultant (to prevent spoilers from spreading) so when I let Amy review this braid, the first thing she said was that it looked like Khaleesi's hair from Game of Thrones. I'm not too familiar with the show but I knew enough to see the similarities.

The Tutorial:

Grab a small elastic and jump right on in! (1) Part your hair in the middle. This was one of the elements that made this hairstyle different from what I usually do. (2) Take some hair from the front of one side and start French lace braiding. This is the same as French braiding except instead of adding hair on both sides, you only add hair from one side. In this case, it'll be the bottom side. Tip: when adding hair in, try to keep the line straight as you're braiding back so it looks cleaner. (3) Continue lace braiding until you've hit the center of your head. It doesn't have to be exact but you want to have equal amounts for both sides of your head. It's also wise to ration out your hair as you're braiding so you don't end up with one fat chunk and two sickly ones. (4) Finish the braid without adding anymore hair and tie it off. (5) Repeat steps 1-4 on the other side. However, you don't have to tie the second braid if you want to skip a step. Simply hold on to the end of your loose braid while you untie the first braid (holding the loose ends of that one as well) and move on to step 6. (6) Carefully unravel the regular braid you've made without loosening up the lace braids at the top. As you're doing this, be sure to combine the two braids by separating the individual strands. The two strands closest to each other (where your lace braids end) from each braid becomes the middle strand of the new tail braid. The remaining hair from the two braids will be their own respective strands. (7) Braid these three strands as you would normally and tie it off with that small elastic when you've reached the bottom.

The Result:

11.9.15 khaleesi inspired french lace duo (x)
I love how this hairstyle came off my head like it was 3D. Don't forget to give it a like on Instagram if you haven't already!

The Verdict:

I wasn't sure if this hairstyle was going to be well-received because it was so different from what I've done in the past but it looks like a little mixing was all that was missing to put a little excitement back into #hairoftheweek. The Game of Thrones reference didn't hurt either. You can't really tell from the angle but because the lace braids were French braided, they didn't lay flat against my scalp. It gave the hairstyle some depth and sets it apart from other hairstyles that are two French braids combined into one. It'd look even more authentic if you had waves or loose curls in your hair like Daenerys does. Overall, this (retroactively) Khaleesi-inspired hairstyle is a really cool one and surprisingly easy to recreate so give it a shot!


Finding nice lighting and a good angle were not the easiest tasks but thankfully I had the help of my lovely roommates. If you missed last week's #hairoftheweek, read about it here and follow me on Instagram to stay up to date on the newest #hairoftheweek! As always, follow xo, Yvette on all the usual platforms (in the sidebar!) and tell me what you think about this hairstyle in the comments below!


Talk to you soon!

xo, Yvette

6 comments:

  1. Mhysa! I can totally picture a dragon perched on your shoulder in that pic.

    The hairstyles in the show are always on point. I fully support another GoT inspired #hairoftheweek. (You could do one inspired by Margaery Tyrell and then you'd have two Natalie Dormer looks!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh that'd be fun! I'm sure if I were in cosmetology school something like that would work as my final project or something. An exploration of Game of Thrones via hairstyles.

      Delete