Sunday, November 8, 2015

#hairoftheweek: Chain Rope Accent

Whenever I think of autumn, there are two versions that I picture. The sunny, deceptively crisp days and the brisk, windy, soggy days. Most of this week was the former. I wouldn't mind some more of the latter, though. I need every excuse to break out my sweaters (and to splash in puddles but that's a whole different issue).

The Process:

This week I wanted to pay homage to the very first #hairoftheweek, the Chain Rope Braid. I wanted to do some more with Chain Rope Braid because it hit me that it's such a cool technique and I haven't even touched since the very beginning. I wanted to keep it simple this week and focus on the accent so I left it clean and straightforward.

The Tutorial:

Knowing how to rope braid is integral to this hairstyle so this might be a good one to test if you've got a good handle on it. (1) Section off the hair you want to include in your accent. I parted my hair to the side and took about two inches of hair. (2) Take all the leftover hair and tie it out of the way before beginning your rope braids. (3) Split the section in two equal pieces. It worked best for me when I divided it diagonally starting from the corner of my part. When I split it going adjacent to my hairline, there was an obvious bald spot and we don't want that. (4) I chose to start with the back section because it was easier to ensure I wasn't accidentally taking any hair from the other section. Divide that piece into two and start rope braiding, twisting as you go. It doesn't matter which direction you twist in as long as you go the same direction for both rope braids. Don't stress about remembering which way you twisted -- your hands will remember for you. I'd suggest braiding all the way down just to be sure you'll have enough to work with. When you make the chain the braids will get even shorter. (5) Rope braid the remaining hair in the same direction! (6) Take your two rope braids and rope braid them together in the opposite direction. You'll know it's working when the rope braids fit in together all snug and they start forming links like in a chain, hence the name Chain Rope Braid. Don't worry if you went the wrong way the first time. No damage has been done just untangle the braids and try the other way. (7) Tie the two braids together and remove the two extra elastics. (8) Free the hair you tied up earlier and pin the accent where you want it. Cover the end and the bobby pins with hair and you're done!

The Result:

11.4.15 chain rope accent (x)
I love that this braid isn't so thick that it leaves a big bump in your hair. Looking at it now I can think of at least two more hairstyles I could incorporate the Chain Rope Braid into. Don't forget to give it a like on Instagram if you haven't already!

The Verdict:

I don't know why I'm so amazed every time the two rope braids come together and link up. I know this braid works. I came up with it a little over a year and a half ago. I also love running my fingers down the length of the braid because it's so soft and bumpy. Sometimes with accents like these the braid is too thick so when you pin it under your hair you're left with a bump and a not very well hidden elastic and bobby pins. It's not the best look. My favorite part of all my hairstyles is that it kept the hair out of my face and looked cute while doing it.


Sometime in the last week or so, I decided I'm going to make my best effort to make this whole season entirely originals. It'll be a challenge but well worth it, I think. I just have to keep my mind open to inspiration and my creative process. If you want to keep up to date on #hairoftheweek, follow me on Instagram and turn on my notifications so you have a chance at winning that extra vote when it comes time to vote for Fan Favorite! As always, follow xo, Yvette on all the usual platforms (in the sidebar)!


Talk to you soon!

xo, Yvette

4 comments:

  1. This would look so great with a FLANNEL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I want to run my fingers down this braid too. Why can't computer screens come with a button you push that allows you to feel a certain texture? Or smell?

    ReplyDelete