Sunday, November 22, 2015

#hairoftheweek: Dutch Lace Bun

Long time no blog! I mean, I only skipped one post but that's enough to throw me off my game. There was so much going on this week and so much deviation from my usual schedule that nothing really felt right. Looking on the bright side, Thanksgiving is next week and it won't be long until the quarter is over and I can finally let myself relax. Sleeping in past ten without guilt?! Paradise.

The Process:

Keeping on the lace braid trend, I wanted to show how they would look if you Dutch braided them rather than French like in last week's Khaleesi-inspired hairstyle. When lace braids are French braided, they tend to stick up but Dutch braiding them will keep them classier. I knew I was going to be wearing this hairstyle to a school function so this week wasn't a good one for anything too outlandish. I worked around my outfit and the event to come up with a simple but interesting hairstyle.

The Tutorial:

Classy has never been this easy. (1) Section off the hair you want to include in your Dutch lace braid. (2) Pick up a small section and divide it into three to start it off. Begin Dutch braiding but instead of adding hair on both sides, only add hair on one (the side that's further from the part, if that makes sense).  (3) Continue Dutch lace braiding all the way the crown of your head but be careful about how much hair you're picking up with each stitch. You don't want to end up with too uneven of a braid at the end. (4) When you've reached the crown, stop adding in hair and braid normally for an inch before tying it off. (5) Before creating the bun, go back and pancake the braid to give it some oomph. (7) Undo the small elastic on the braid and whip everything up into a high ponytail and bun as you normally would. I gently tease it with my fingers before twisting it into shape. (7) Pin the bun to the top of your head and give yourself a pat on the back because you now have a subtly voluminous hairdo.

The Result:

11.18.15 dutch lace bun (x)
If I had done the Dutch lace braid tighter it'd be easier to differentiate from a regular Dutch braid but you can still tell if you look hard enough... Don't forget to give it a like on Instagram if you haven't already!

The Verdict:

The hair on the side closer to my part isn't as flat against my head as I would've liked it because I had trouble with the bun so it's not as neat as it would've been if I had gotten the bun down on my first try. If that part would have been tighter, it would be easier to tell it was a Dutch lace braid, not just a regular Dutch braid. I made sure to keep the braid to the side rather than going down the middle of my head just to make a little different than what you'd normally see in a bun or ponytail that has a braid going into it. Of course I didn't keep it to one side -- it followed the curve of my head so there was a little more to look at. It did last the entire day because this bun stayed on my head throughout the school day and then to dinner for our wonderful Friendsgiving evening.


As you're all probably aware, Thanksgiving is coming up this week and usually my monthly Happy Hubs are posted on the last Wednesday of the month. Since the last Wednesday of this November is before Thanksgiving, I'm going to shake up the posting schedule a bit. I'm going to push the Happy Hub to the Sunday slot and bring next week's #hairoftheweek up to Wednesday. Meanwhile, follow me on Instagram to catch the latest #hairoftheweek and let me know what you think of this one in the comments below!


Talk to you soon!

xo, Yvette

4 comments:

  1. This picture is so cute your hair is so cute and look at ur lil nose I'm so blessed

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Classy has never been this easy." I feel like that needs to be a tagline for something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll use it when I open my own hair salon to pull in the customers.

      Delete