Sunday, December 11, 2016

#hairoftheweek: #tbt Feathered Fishtail

For some reason this season has been more hectic than others. I couldn't seem to keep up with anything in any part of my life but we're at the tail-end of the quarter so I just have to power through this last stretch to make it to the godsend that is winter break.

The Process: 

As you probably know by now, every ten hairstyles, I hand it over to you to cast your vote for Fan Favorite and that becomes the eleventh hairstyle of the season! I've been collecting votes for the past week and did a cheeky "throwback" post on Instagram. The Feathered Fishtail was always the clear winner since it was always in the lead, but towards the end the Knit Sweater Braid gave this one a run for its money. While something like that has happened before, I have never had my own favorite get zero votes! Not that it matters all that much because it's my hair and I can wear it whenever I want.

The Tutorial:

I always try to make the Fan Favorite pick a little bit different the second time around. You'll see how I switched things up this time. (1) Brush all your hair and pull it over one shoulder. (2) Split your hair into two chunks as if you were going to do a normal fishtail braid. (3) Take a strand from each chunk and instead of starting the fishtail braid with those, you're going to set those aside. (4) I changed the Feathered Fishtail by doubling the number of feathers so that means you're only going to do two stitches on each side before feathering. Go ahead and fishtail braid counting 1-2-3-4 for each strand you cross over or 1-1-2-2 if you're counting per side. (5) For strands 5 and 6, bring back the strands you originally left out and braid it in UNDER the new strand you're leaving out. (6) Repeat Steps 4 and 5 all the way down. Don't make the same as me! Gently tug on your feathers as you braid! If you wait until the end you will be too late! I wasn't thinking! (7) Tie off your Feathered Fishtail and adjust to your liking.

The Result: 

12.8.16 #tbt feathered fishtail (x)
I was not smart and waited until the end to accentuate the feathers. :( Don't forget to give it a like on Instagram if you haven't already!

The Verdict:

So I doubled the number of feathers to change it up and I'm not sure if that was the best move. The same effect could be achieved using a different technique that wouldn't significantly loosen the braid and put the feathers at the bottom at risk. My biggest downfall here was waiting until the end to loosen the feathers because it did end up loosening the entire braid but it turned out all right in the end. I was sure the braid would crumble but it held strong.


Other than my own user error, I think this braid is fantastic and maintains the essence of the original Feathered Fishtail while standing on its own. What do you think? Was this your pick for Fan Favorite? Thank you for participating and I'll be back next week with the Bonus #hairoftheweek! As always, follow me on Instagram to stay up-to-date on #hairoftheweek!


Talk to you soon!

xo, Yvette

3 comments:

  1. Still haven't figured out what this reminds me of. Which was your favorite this season?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a shirt so much like that one I'm gonna have to assume that you borrowed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's do a spirit week we can wear our shirts for twin day it'll be fun.

      Delete