Sunday, December 18, 2016

#hairoftheweek: {Bonus} Candy Cane Braid

Time to top off the #hairoftheweek season with our Bonus hairstyle! The last couple years' Bonus hairstyles have been for our annual family Christmas party. Due to some scheduling conflicts, we had to push it back a week so this hairstyle is just floating in the void. It's fine by me, but y'all may never know how I do my hair for the party...

The Process: 

I've done a lot of side braids this season and I wanted to do something different for the Bonus hairstyle. Looking back on the ten different braids I've done this quarter, I realized I hadn't once touched a rope braid. 'Nuff said.

The Tutorial:

Usually I find easy hairstyles and I wonder how I didn't think of it first. Now I can turn the tables because the Candy Cane Braid is as easy as it gets. (1) Brush all your hair and bring it over one shoulder. (2) Divide it into two equal sections, as if you were going to fishtail braid. (3) Set the outside section aside. (4) Rope braid the section closer to your neck. I twisted them to the left (away from my neck) but do whatever feels natural to you. Tie it off when you can twist no further. (5) Using your rope braid as its own strand, twist it with the other section the same direction as the rope braid. (6) Gently tug on the hair in between the "stripes" if you want a little dimension (it will otherwise look like a rod) and tie everything together at the bottom.

The Result: 

12.16.16 candy cane braid (x)
Work some red and white ribbon in there and you truly will become a candy cane. Don't forget to give it a like on Instagram if you haven't already!

The Verdict:

Super simple and super appropriate for the season. As I mentioned in the caption above, I think incorporating some red ribbon in the rope braid would really bring out the candy cane resemblance. This is a hairstyle you can do if you do not have a lot of time (literally about a minute and a half) and want something comfy. This is no frills but still really cute. I'm obsessed.


I was messing around when I discovered this hairstyle so I was surprised when it actually turned out to be something let alone something so fitting for the holidays! Let me know what you think of this hairstyle in the comments below and as always, follow me on Instagram to stay up-to-date on all things #hairoftheweek!


Talk to you soon!

xo, Yvette

3 comments:

  1. Speaking of candy, is there such thing as a lollipop bun? (Google Images isn't helpful in this regard.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got a clear image in my mind the second I read this comment. Get me some ribbon, stat.

      Delete
  2. You 👏🏻 Look 👏🏻 So 👏🏻 Cozy 👏🏻

    ReplyDelete