Sunday, November 27, 2016

#hairoftheweek: Infinity Braid

I hope everybody had a lovely long weekend and I certainly hope you put it to good use! I try my best to be thankful everyday but it's something that can so easily slip our minds. It's good to have a reminder during the holidays when it's tempting to take for granted what you have or to lust after things you don't (I'm looking at you, Black Friday). It's also a nice time to spend with friends and family you haven't seen in a while. Quality time is hard to come by these days.

The Process: 

I mentioned in a previous #hairoftheweek post that I had been working on some new elements for future hairstyles. The Infinity Braid was one of them. The concept wasn't new to me, but I had never done it on my own hair and I wasn't sure how it would hold up. Apparently, not well. I made it work nonetheless. It was worth the struggle because I have been planning this hairstyle and caption for a while now. It would've been a shame if it were to fall through.

The Tutorial:

I imagine if you had more flexible hair (like hair that's easy to pull into a bun) your hair wouldn't give you too much trouble. (1) Brush your hair and bring it all over one shoulder. (2) Divide your hair into two equal chunks. (3) Take a small (like, real small) strand of hair from one side (I started with the inner chunk) and bring it underneath its section, up through the middle, and around the other section, bringing the strand back to the middle. (4) Keep looping this strand around the two chunks in a figure eight or an infinity pattern, tightening every time you get to the middle by pulling up. If it's not tight, it will look like a regular three strand braid with unequal division. (5) When you feel like you need more hair, pick up a little more to add to the strand. I find it's best if you can alternate which chunk you add in hair from so that you can keep the size of the sections even. (6) Loop until you can loop no further. For me, this happened when my infinity strand became thicker than the sections it was looping around. Tie it off. (7) If your hair is stiff like mine, you're going to have not just flyaways, but whole strands coming out of your braid. I let this happen and then gathered them behind the braid in a small elastic. No bobby pins required and nobody else can see it if they aren't looking. I find an elastic is far more secure for hair that was born to escape.

The Result: 

11.24.16 infinity braid (x)
How many nights does it take to count the stars? Don't forget to give it a like on Instagram if you haven't already!

The Verdict:

When I was first practicing, I went for big ole chunks of hair when sectioning out the strand that was to loop infinitely. I didn't understand why the braid would just stop at the collarbone. While the fine infinite strand makes it look like a very horizontal fishtail braid, it serves its purpose better than its thicker counterpart does. It's a shame, really. The thick sections made this hairstyle look distinctly like an infinity braid.


Have you tried the Infinity Braid before? I don't know if I would consider it a basic element since it's harder to incorporate it into other hairstyles than other elements, but then again it can stand alone as well as add to another preexisting element or hairstyle. I guess I'll have to do some more experimenting to properly definte it. As always, don't forget to follow me on Instagram to stay up-to-date on all things #hairoftheweek and Fan Favorite is coming up in just a few weeks so start thinking about which #hairoftheweek from this season might be your favorite!


Talk to you soon!

xo, Yvette

3 comments: