Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Book Talk: November Uppercase Review

The announcement that this month's Uppercase Boxes would be shipping early came at a time when I really needed some good news. Just knowing that it was coming was a sliver of hope, but then to find out I'd be getting it a week early? They heard my cry for help and answered it not a moment too soon. This month's selections are A+.

cookie cutters &
chapter preview
The first thing I noticed when I pulled out my Uppercase Box from its bubble mailer was a rattling sound. I thought it might have been one of the goodies but when I opened it, I saw a crushed little box and my first thought was "oh no." My poor (what I assume to be) Harry Potter-inspired cookie cutters had beem squished in transit and the tip of the lightning one broke off (I couldn't the glasses on their website so maybe it's an exclusive?). It won't effect the shape of the cut cookie at all but I was thinking about how Hephaestus must've been distracted that day in his forge to produce such a fragile lightning bolt. (Leave it to me to spin anything Harry Potter into Percy Jackson.) Upon closer inspection, I realized that it was 3D printed which is super cool. I visited Frosted Co.'s website and they say they use a biodegrable plastic to print these cookie cutters so you don't have to worry about ingesting toxic chemicals through your dessert.
exclusive cards &
bonus tattoo

Y'all know I love my stationary. I 100% squealed in glee when I saw what was under that crushed cookie cutter box. The next goody was a set of Uppercase exclusive cards from 9th Letter Press. (Please pardon the poor lighting. We're well into the rainy season here in the PNW.) It says "books are magical" on the front and features a unicorn with a bunch of books and flowers on a coral background. It's a set of five and her cards are usually $5 a pop so this is a good deal. I assume the insides are blank so I can write a novel in it. I also love how the color scheme of these cards match the cover of this month's book so well. They certainly brighten up a dreary day. 

title page &
autograph
There's been a lot of buzz about Carve the Mark by Veronica Roth recently among the YA book communities I follow across the internet. I think it's because some lucky people have been recieving (and finishing) their ARCs of the book and I'm already very excited for it. I mean, another sci-fi world built by Veronica Roth? You couldn't sign me up fast enough. Since people are getting their ARCs, we were treated with a chapter preview from the book. I haven't read it yet but do you think it would count towards my Goodreads Reading Goal? I'm trailing really far behind. I can't believe I let myself fall into double digits. 

The other bonus in this box is a temporary tattoo with what I assume is a quote from the book. It reads: "Love Always Changes Everything." I can agree with that statement. Again, I don't think I would ever use it because then it'd be gone. I can't bear to part with anything.

the whole box! (x)
And now we get to the best part! I was so shocked to see The Sun Is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon in this month's box. The last couple months we've been getting books I hadn't heard any hype about (not that that's a bad thing at all) so I was surprised to see a book everybody's already talking about. I've heard phenomenal reviews about Yoon's debut novel, Everything, Everything, but I have yet to get to it (or any book, it seems). So far I'm hearing reviews comparing TSIAAS to Eleanor & Park and based on the synopsis, I can see how they're similar. I think I just need to brace myself because, if Yoon is as good as everybody says she is, I'm seeing tears in my future. 


There were a lot of good things in this box. The only thing that was slightly disappointing was the mildly broken cookie cutter but not long after I posted my Instagram, both Frosted Co. and Uppercase reached out to me and offered to replace it. I took up one of the offers because I am not greedy and I don't even bake cookies. This can be a test to their customer service. They were certainly lightning fast in their response time so that was a big plus. Another thought that came to mind was, as excited as I am to get a chapter preview in this box (it's probably as close as I'll ever get to an ARC), this makes me think Carve the Mark will not be a book featured in a future Uppercase box because, you know, spoilers. It wouldn't be such a travesty. Uppercase will probably have a book equally as good that month that I haven't heard of, introducing me to something I wouldn't have otherwise been exposed to. There's always a plus side.


Talk to you soon!

xo, Yvette

4 comments:

  1. That material girl link is Me, as the person who has still yet to stick the amazing stickers you sent me anywhere because I love them too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That feel is so real. Every time I buy something my dad goes, "Wait. Will you actually use it?" and my answer is always a skeptical (of myself) "...yes?"

      Delete
  2. I'm surprised it wasn't Harry's glasses that broke. He was always breaking them in the books from what I remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really would think so. Zeus was a good guy for once and took the hit instead.

      Delete