Sunday, October 9, 2016

#hairoftheweek: Stacked Four Strand Fishtail

My first full week of school this year. It's already wild. I'm going to have to do some rearranging in my life to find a place for blogging but it'll be so worth it when I do. I've never had a schedule like this before so it's a new experience all around. At least I can count on finding and practicing a hairstyle every week to keep me on track.

The Process: 

When I find a new hair stylist I have a lot of videos and ideas to go through so I have a feeling you'll be seeing quite a few Lainey Marie hair styles this season. This week I decided to follow this tutorial for a Stacked Five Strand Fishtail, but there's an obvious discrepancy there. I opted for a four strand because I am not as well practiced in the art of the five strand and, honestly, it's nearly impossible for me to pass up the opportunity to include a four strand in a hairstyle.

The Tutorial:

While the name implies a regular fishtail, you're actually going to be doing an inverse fishtail. The name was long enough as it was. (1) Brush your hair and bring it all over one shoulder. (2) Separate a small section of hair from just below your ear. This will become your four (or five) strand accent so make sure you've got enough. (3) Braid your four (or five) strand all the way down and tie it off. Do not pancake. (4) Put your accent braid aside then divide the rest of your hair in two equal sections. (5) Inverse fishtail braid (bring strands from the front to the back) all the way down, pancaking periodically. (6) Once you have your two braids, put the accent on center of the fishtail and use bobby pins to secure them together from the back. (7) When the braids are where you like them, tie the ends together and release the original elastics.

The Result: 

10.5.16 stacked four strand fishtail (x)
This sweater looks and feels like a cloud. I thought that made this hairstyle look angelic. Don't forget to give it a like on Instagram if you haven't already!

The Verdict:

I liked the look of this hairstyle standing still (or at least keeping your head in one position) because moving your head up and down or tilting it to one side or another would cause the end of the fishtail to hitch up or the four strand to bump up. It just wasn't seamless enough. Possibly because my bobby pins are super cheap and crappy so they can't perform very well but I think it's mostly because of the tension when attaching the two braids to each other. The other thing was I pancaked the fishtail so much that it was on the verge of crumbling all day. That's my own fault though and I know my hair well enough that I knew that would happen. Maybe this one will look a lot better with a little more practice.


What do you think about this hairstyle? I think it's pretty doable so let me know if you give it a shot! Don't forget to give it a like on Instagram if you haven't already and follow me to stay up-to-date on #hairoftheweek! Remember the person with the most first likes each season gets an extra vote for Fan Favorite! Do not throw away your shot.


Talk to you soon!

xo, Yvette

4 comments:

  1. It does look angelic. And symmetrical. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am pretty proud that I got the four strand straight and right on the center of the fishtail.

      Delete
  2. I love this and the braided pull through so much I'm already stressed about which one I'm gonna vote for...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think clearly, Amy. Do you like these hairstyles because of the hairstyles themselves or because my collarbones are in the photo?

      Delete