Sunday, October 23, 2016

Book Talk: October Uppercase Box Review

I finally got to open my Uppercase Box! I got the shipping confirmation last Friday and I was so excited to get my hands on it, only to find out it was arriving on Monday, the day after I'd gone back to school. I had to endure a whole week of  knowing I have my Uppercase Box while not having it at the same time. It was, in the words of Cinderella and Rapunzel's princes, agony.

The back of the journal
The first thing that came out of this package was a journal. I love journals. This, however, was no ordinary journal. No, it had illustrations of famous authors across the front and back covers and not only that! Each author was treated with a punk rock Snapchat filter. You can see the back of the journal in the picture to the left and the front of it in my Instagram photo. So cool. At first I didn't entirely understand what was happening and I thought to myself, "huh, I didn't know this was Oscar Wilde's style." The pages are lined and one corner on each page features one of the authors. It's worth $9.95 and I have a feeling this journal will warrant a double take.

New bookmarks & Erg sticker!
Recently craftedvan, my go-to for magnetic bookmarks, was having a sale and I was so tempted to pick up an adorable sloth one but my self control won over. The thing is, I have a few craftedvan bookmarks and I know they're sturdy but I'm such a worrier and I worry that my beloved bookmarks will wear out due to overuse. (That was quite the humble brag. "I read so much even my bookmarks can't keep up!" *eyeroll*) I knew it wouldn't be smart to purchase a new bookmark on a whim and it looks like my intuition paid off! In this month's box was a set of three cassette tape magnetic bookmarks by Studio Ding Dong. They have various colors but I got the blue set (which seems to be the best not because it's blue, but because it has the greatest variety of color) and it retails at $6.00 on Amazon. 

The title page is as gorgeous
as the cover
The bonus item is a sticker featuring a character from this month's book. Or, I assume it's a character. Erg is a wooden doll that appears to have sentience? I'm not sure. Most reviews claim that this book is weird so we'll have to see what that's all about.  

This month's pick is Vassa in the Night by Sarah Porter! I haven't heard anything about this book yet but based on the synopsis, it sounds like a Russian-inspired fairytale-type world. The more time I spend thinking about what this book might be like, the more excited I get. I feel like I haven't been reading a lot lately and this just might be the perfect amount of weird to spark my imagination. I'm also not very well versed in Russian folklore so this will be something new for me and my brain.  


Look at the beautiful cover! (x)
If I'm honest, I don't know what to do with the stickers I get with these books. I'm not sure if I should stick them somewhere (to the book?) or if I should just leave them lying around in a box because I can't commit to one place. I mean, if I stick them just anywhere then it loses meaning because then it won't be with the book. At the same time I don't want to deface the book either. Such a dilemma. Overall I am very happy with this month's box, sticker and all. I can't wait to put all these goodies to good use! 


Talk to you soon!

xo, Yvette

4 comments:

  1. If you have a bookshelf or something you could put the stickers there? So you're not defacing the book but they're still kinda connected? Idk ask Gordon he knows everything

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good suggestion. Asking Gordon is also a good suggestion he really does know everything.

      Delete
  2. In Japanese we had to read some Japanese folk lore. If you want more weird, check out some Japanese folk lore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm open to reading folklore from all around the world! There's so much out there and you can learn a lot about a culture's values from those stories.

      Delete