Sunday, January 31, 2016

#hairoftheweek: Rey's Triple Buns

In the past, I have tried recreating hairstyles I've seen in movies and, for the most part, they've been pretty successful. (I always curse myself for not having enough hair but then everybody reminds me that I'm not actually an animated character... Thanks for knocking some sense into me, I truly appreciate it.) While the most fun hairstyles usually come from animated movies, there are also times when a hairdo from a live action film stands out. The best place to find iconic hairstyles are in fantasy or science fiction films so it should come as no surprise that this week I've tackled Rey's signature triple buns from Star Wars: The Force Awakens. It was only a matter of time.

The Process:

I think Star Wars is known for their fantastic leading ladies' hairstyles and Rey's was so easy, I couldn't resist. The thought first occurred to me before the movie even came out and all I saw were promos but after I saw it for the first time, I knew I had to recreate it. In fact, I would've done it weeks earlier but there was one thing keeping me from going for it and that was the fact that my hair is not a fan of bending. It'll hold a curl fine but trying to wrap a ponytail?! Forget it. The idea of curling the ends of my hair in order to get it to wrap around the buns came to me only about a week ago and it was like being struck by lightning. It was the answer to all my problems.

The Tutorial:

This is one of those rare instances where having less hair is better. If you want to see this hairstyle in action, there are tutorials all over the internet for this hairstyle so I'll include a couple of links here (x, x, x, x) before giving my own take on it. (1) Take a small chunk of hair at the top of your head and tie it off. To get an idea about how much to grab, the purpose of this step is to get your bangs out of the way and into the hairstyle, or if you don't have bangs, just take where your bangs would be. (2) Curl the ends of your hair. (This step is optional.) (2) Take the top third section of your hair and pull it into a bun. You should only pull through until the bun starts to droop. From my experience, once you think you have a third of hair, you need to drop some because you won't have enough for the next two buns. (3) The hair that didn't make it into your bun gets wrapped around the base and bobby pinned into place to cover the elastic and to get that hair out of the way. (4) Repeat Steps 2 and 3 with the second and third thirds of your hair. (5) Pull out a little bit of hair in the front to frame your face and get ready to tackle the Dark Side.

The Result: 

1.29.16 rey's triple buns (x)
The garbage'll do. Don't forget to give it a like on Instagram if you haven't already!

The Verdict:

I felt so powerful wearing this hairstyle. It was super cool and, not to toot my own horn, but I rocked it. Maybe it was just me channeling Rey's awesomeness but I felt like I could do anything. That last bun did end up crumbling a bit because the hood of my jacket would rub against it and loosen up the shorter hairs. Despite that, I was surprised by how well the hairstyle actually held up. Historically, I've had a lot of difficulty with wrapped ponytails so I was expecting this to fall apart by the time I got back from class. If you told me it was the Force keeping it together, I would believe you. Rey's buns ended up being very wearable and I was delighted when people got the reference.


I'm very glad I got to wear this hairstyle to visit Alegado. You might remember him from last June and he has always been so supportive of #hairoftheweek so I always make it a point to make #hairoftheweek day the day I visit him. It's also right up Alegado's alley since it's from Star Wars. It was a no brainer. Let me know what you think of this hairstyle and whether or not you're going to try it! It's actually super easy and really fun to wear. If you want to stay up to date on #hairoftheweek, follow me on Instagram so that you can win that extra vote by liking my #hairoftheweek posts before anybody else!


Talk to you soon!

xo, Yvette

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. And I wore my Star Wars mascara too I was really channeling the Force.

      Delete
  2. The Force is strong with this one.

    Also, what did Alegado think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He loved it! Him and all the people who joined our party as well. We were all Star Wars fans it was a good time.

      Delete