Sunday, June 21, 2015

{Bonus} #hairoftheweek: Lopped Off

I hope everybody is having a great Father's Day and enjoying some quality time with their dads. As you can tell by the title of this blog post, I lopped my hair off! This was not an impulse decision. In fact, it was highly calculated. I didn't want to have that much hair weighing me down when I go away to bake in the Mediterranean sun and I also wanted to do something exciting for the bonus #hairoftheweek. A haircut was long overdue anyway and I thought why not do something a little extreme? My hair grows fast enough that by the time Fall 2015 rolls around, I'll probably have something to work with and I get to experience what it's like to have a light, fluffy hair during the summer!

The Process:

This haircut has actually been in the works for a while. My hair was getting obnoxiously long, and it only seemed to be growing faster so I had to get on it as soon as possible. The ends were fraying, it had to be swept out of the way to do anything, and it took a year and a half for it to stop dripping after I got out of the shower. As luck would have it, the timing worked out perfectly so that after I had completed the fan favorite, I would have time to get it all chopped off before visiting Mr. Alegado at my high school the week after and taking the #hairoftheweek picture there. When I made the decision to get my hair cut, I only told two souls (and then my mom so that she could make arrangements) (I am not old enough to be making my own hair appointments) and even then I didn't tell them when I was doing the deed. I tweeted about it later in the day and it didn't garner much attention, which was fine by me since I wanted the main attraction to be the bonus #hairoftheweek on Instagram.

The Tutorial:

This hairstyle requires very little effort on your part and can turn out differently for each person. It can also be personalized to your taste. The method is as follows:

1) Think about getting a haircut
2) Decide on a length
3) Mentally and emotionally prepare yourself for the commitment
4) Get to the hairdresser
5) Do it
6) Pay

Voila! Now you can shock anybody you didn't warn ahead of time with your significantly (or not) shorter locks!

The Result:

6.16.15 lopped off (x)
A special thank you to Alegado, who gave this #hairoftheweek photo that element of fun that only he can bring. It even got a chuckle out of my mom. Don't forget to give this hairstyle a like on Instagram if you haven't already!

The Verdict:

I am obsessed with my haircut. I'm loving that the dry time has been reduced so drastically and my arms don't get tired when I pull it into a ponytail. (I definitely need to work on toning my arms.) I was worried that I would regret this decision once it I got it cut but in the days leading up to the chop, I was still feeling good about it. There was never a moment of panic or doubt, which was my only indication that I was ready for this. Now that it's been done, I am still really fond of it and I'm glad my hair does not have personal space issues because I am constantly touching it. When my hair was long, I thought that made me look young but now that it's short, I look even younger. I'm starting to think I just have a baby face. (If this is the price I have to pay for people to think I'm in my twenties when those days are long gone, I'll gladly take it.) My hair is so light and fluffy now and it makes me feel like Bridgit Mendler, which is ultimately my life goal. One downside is that I can no longer whip people in the face with just the turn of the head. It is an upper hand that will return to me in due time. I could talk about my hair forever and by the time I'm done, it will already have grown back to the length it was before so I think this is a good place to stop.


Tell me what you think! Have you gotten your hair cut recently? Are you thinking about getting it cut? Let me know in the comments! Don't forget to check back on Wednesday at 4pm PDT for our June Happy Hub. There's a lot to mention and we might even catch another glimpse of Alegado! If you haven't already, follow xo, Yvette on Tumblr or via email (in the side bar) to ensure you never miss a post. (I would also suggest following me on Instagram because, while #hairoftheweek is over for the time being, there are other things you might not want to miss this summer.)


Talk to you soon!

xo, Yvette

3 comments:

  1. Sometimes I think about getting my hair cut short, but then I don't. I don't know why. I mean, it grows back. Also, Alegado's face cracks me up every time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really depends on how fast your hair grows. Mine grows like grass so it'll be back in the blink of an eye but others' hair just refuses to grow after it's cut. I love that expression! I asked him to be in my #hairoftheweek photo and he went straight to that face. Alegado knows what's up.

      Delete
  2. I am sitting next to my mom right now and I just made her text our hair lady to make me an appointment so no one here is old enough to make their own hair appointment.

    ReplyDelete