Sunday, May 14, 2017

#hairoftheweek: Snake Braid Headband

When I really need to focus on my schoolwork, I put on songs from my childhood. Sometimes that means ABBA, sometimes that means Michael Jackson. This time, it meant Bee Gees. I spent the week grooving to my favorite disco tunes while I figured out what kind of hairstyle I wanted to do. I also had an outfit planned involving my Celine Dion t-shirt. What better way to combine my two topical interests than with the song they did together? Immortality carried me through quite the week and provided my #hairoftheweek with a lovely caption.

The Process:

In an effort to diversify my hair portfolio, I scoured my brain for a type of hairstyle I hadn't done in a loooong while. The one that stuck out to me the most was my headbands. I hadn't done one in years which is truly a shame considering how much I love having my hair out of my face. I was also debating whether I should incorporate a lace braid or a snake braid into this week's hairstyle since I've been neglecting those techniques as well. Obviously, we know which one won, and I was so excited about it, I actually moved #hairoftheweek up one day from its original planned date!

The Tutorial:

If walls could talk, they'd probably tell me how much of a tragedy it would have been if I hadn't come up with this hairstyle.
(1) Brush all your hair and section off the top, using the ends of your eyebrows as a guide, and tie it off.
(2) Choose the side you want your headband to originate and pick up a 1-2 inch section outside of parted hair, using the top of your ears as a guide.
(3) Carefully brush this chunk of hair up and angled in the direction you want your headband to lay. If you don't you will have the biggest, most atrocious bump.
(4) Divide the chunk into three pieces and braid a regular three strand braid. I would suggest a medium-high tension. You want it to be tight enough so that the snake will hold, but not so tight that it won't snake without making a frizzy mess.
(5) Braid as far as you comfortably can. Before tying it off, hold the center strand and slide the other two up (still braided) back towards the start of the braid.
(6) Allow the snake to relax and stretch out a little bit. The tightness of the snake is up to you and the look you want to achieve. Adjust as necessary.
(7) Tie off the braid.
(8) Position the end of the braid underneath some hair and bobby pin it to keep it in place.
(9) Check to make sure the elastic is hidden and the hair tucked under the headband is smooth.

The Result:

5.10.17 snake braid headband (x)
I make my journey through eternity. Don't forget to give it a like on Instagram if you haven't already!

The Verdict:

Can you imagine doing this hairstyle with ribbon as the strands you slide up? That'd be so cute! Definitely something to consider for a spring/summer look. I was worried my hair wouldn't be long enough to securely make it to the other side but luckily it's the perfect length! Those with hair longer than mine would have no trouble with this hairstyle. This look is quick, easy, and requires very few tools so it's the perfect minimal hairstyle! The Snake Braid Headband would also be a great accessory to a ponytail, as long as you can keep the elastic holding the braid together hidden. The only trouble I had all day was trying to prevent the hair underneath the headband to keep from parting in the middle, but that was a minor inconvenience. It also left my scalp a little sore at the end of the day, but it didn't budge one bit so I would say that is a small price to pay. Any excuse for a scalp massage, right?


You can't see my Celine shirt in this picture, but I promise I'm wearing it! I try to save my flashier clothes for #hairoftheweek so you don't often see me in a white t-shirt... unless it's got Celine's face on it four times. What do you think of this hairstyle? Would you recreate it? As always, don't forget to follow me on Instagram to stay up-to-date on #hairoftheweek and remember the person with the most first likes at the end of the season gets and extra vote for Fan Favorite!


Talk to you soon!

xo, Yvette

1 comment:

  1. Oooh yes ribbons and flowers in it would look so cute! And I'll trust you're wearing the Celine shirt.

    ReplyDelete