Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Book Talk: May Uppercase Box Review

This post was meant to go up on my actual birthday, which would have been perfect, because what better gift to myself than an Uppercase Box? It has officially been a year since I received my first Uppercase Box and I've gotten a lot of amazing bookish goodies that I never would have even thought of getting for myself! That sentiment definitely applies to this month's box, but don't just take my word for it! (I say as you proceed to read a blog post full of my words...)

scratch-off card & bookish earrings

Despite the uselessness (to me personally) of the first two items in this box, I can't help but gush over how cute they are! First is the little box with bookish earrings! They're so adorable but very impractical for me in particular because my ears aren't pierced. We'll figure something out. 

The second thing I pulled from the box is a scratch-off card, but not just any scratch-off card! From what I understand, if you have a winning card, the reward is... the book I received in this box...? Not sure how that's incentive for me to play... Or maybe it was meant for me to pass on to a friend? Either way, I'm obsessed with the color scheme of this box and so even if the card isn't a winner, it's still nice to look at. (Have we moved on to talking about men...?)

exclusive iron-on patches!
The next goody is very exciting and even cuter than the first two! Here we have two Uppercase exclusive iron-on patches! Aren't they the cutest things you've ever seen? I love the pun on the Get Lit patch and that cat is to die for! It reminds me of the cats from Neko Atsume, especially with that little x of a butthole. Now if only I had something to iron these patches to... Perhaps a jean jacket or a backpack? Suggestions are welcome! 


if you have any idea
what that signature is
supposed to say,
let me know!
We have arrived to the main event! Windfall by Jennifer E. Smith is this month's book! When I find myself in times of reading slumps, contemporaries come to me, speaking words of wisdom: easy read. (It doesn't really fit but it's the effort that counts, right?) I've read several of Jennifer E. Smith's books in the past, to varying degrees of satisfaction, so I hope this one is one of the better ones. As I mentioned earlier, if we're judging books by their covers, this one takes the cake. It's so spring and bright and happy. It's mesmerizing. Having something so fun and colorful on my bookshelf is such a nice change of pace. I think maybe I've been living in doom and gloom for a little longer than is healthy? I'm willing to bet this book has a good shot at pulling me out of my reading slump. Then again, any book I'm attracted to has about an equal chance of getting me back into reading. Perhaps it's best if I stay away from gambling until I actually understand how it works... Or I could just buy a a lotto ticket and hope for $96,000!
a blue-green scene (x)


I am not at all self-aware of my aesthetic but if I could choose one to mimic it would definitely be something along the lines of this month's box. Bubbly colors, adorable, and a good dose of femininity without being over the top. I cannot wait to get to this book since I've heard good things so far and apparently it's already been picked up to be adapted in to a movie? That sounds promising! What was your favorite part of this box? I think mine would have to be the color scheme and the reading cat iron-on. Let me know in the comments! 



Talk to you soon!

xo, Yvette

1 comment:

  1. Or you could make some mixed media art with those iron on patches. Or just Let it Be, you know.

    ReplyDelete