Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Happy Hub: Mother's Day Breakfast

All week I've been debating whether to write and publish this post or not. On one hand, I have two midterms really close together, and on the other hand I have somewhat time sensitive content. Once I allowed to let myself put up this post late, I decided to go for it. As you've probably gathered from the title, I want to talk about what my family did for Mother's Day breakfast! In the past I've shared my input, but most of the planning and execution has been up to my dad. This year, I took charge of Mother's Day. The main part of the day for us is preparing and eating breakfast in "bed" (we actually do it in the bathroom, as per our family tradition). I started thinking about what I wanted to do in March and the ideas started coming together last month.


Breakfast before it got to the bed. (x)

Since waffling foods that aren't traditionally waffled (so, waffles?) have been all the rage recently (I've seriously been seeing e v e r y w h e r e), I thought it would be fun to incorporate it into breakfast in bed. Keeping it topical. My mom is not big on sweets, so a traditional American breakfast (or at least my idea of one) was out of the running. One of my first ideas, was a breakfast sandwich, but bread would be too thick for our small waffle maker. Following that train of thought, I substituted tortillas for bread and that's when I knew I had a winner. I found this recipe from Real Food by Dad online and used it more as a guideline than anything, because we tweaked a few too many things to actually say we followed this recipe. Our slightly modified version featured white corn tortillas instead of flour and smoked ham instead of bacon. We also trimmed the edges of the tortilla to make it pretty rather than folding it over because corn tortillas don't like doing that and we cooked the egg before putting it on the waffle iron to minimize mess. By our fifth quesadilla (the first one was not pretty and we only needed four anyway), we had it down to a science. 

A different angle. Mmm, just look at that parfait.

In addition to the entree, I sliced up an avocado, layered a fresh berry (just black, rasp, and straw because blue was too expensive) Greek yogurt parfait, and some one of those adorably small watermelons (you can't tell that it's mini now that we've cut it all up, but trust me). I have included (above) a picture of a different angle plus a shot of the rest of the family's meal (below). In years previous we've all just sat there and watched my mom eat while picking small pieces off her plate. We were smarter about it this time. 

Parfaits and quesadillas for me, my brother, and my dad.
Designing the corners, man.

I cannot leave my card unmentioned. I worked really hard on it, and I'm very pleased with how it turned out. If I, a girl with little to no artistic ability, can create something like this, you can too. Lots of little decisions went into finalizing the card, which was what took me hours to finish it. It really should not have been a two-hour project but it was and I'm not sorry about it. It's just what happens when you're as indecisive as I am. A handmade card covered in lavenders (my mom's favorite) on the outside and sweet, heartfelt notes on the inside was a guaranteed win. How could a mother not love something so thoughtful?! (Now I'm just tooting my own horn.)
Little lavenders line the back.


Somehow I managed to incorporate all my mom's fave things into this year's Mother's Day breakfast (without thinking about it, no less) so I can proudly declare this one a success. I am delighted that my mom loved this so much. It's only a small gesture to show how much I truly do appreciate her. Let me know how you celebrated with your mom on Mother's Day! I'd love to hear about all the day you spent with your undoubtedly lovely mom. I already feel the need to start gathering ideas for next year's breakfast, but maybe I should turn my attention to Father's Day instead... 


Talk to you soon!

xo, Yvette

5 comments:

  1. Honestly thought that was just a waffle. All this time. Never questioned it. I can't believe this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean, if you actually read my blog you would've known... #questionablewifegoals

      Delete
  2. I've never thought about having fresh avocado for breakfast. Sounds delicious. So do breakfast quesadillas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fresh avocado is amazing any time of day. Now I kinda want some breakfast quesadillas... The waffle iron made it nice and crispy.

      Delete