Sunday, May 22, 2016

#hairoftheweek: Warrior Braid

This month has not been as warm as I was hoping it to be, but that's okay because I had the foresight to plan ahead and pick out backup outfits for all the big days in case wearing a dress was out of the question. Thankfully I was able to wear the outfit I had envisioned for this week's #hairoftheweek. The matching background was purely coincidental, but I can't help but think it's fate. Why else would those flowers have been planted there years in advance?

The Process:

This was one of those hairstyles that I knew would come in handy in a pinch, but for some reason I never got around to trying it. Maybe because I wasn't 100% in love with the ones Kayley Melissa featured in her video? Either way, it was entirely on a whim that I decided to do my hair and it turned out so perfectly that I couldn't not wear it out. I mean, I was going to see two shows (plus an early dinner date!) that day with Steph so I couldn't have asked for a better day for inspiration to strike.

The Tutorial:

This is a pretty easy hairstyle overall, but I would definitely save up some arm strength for this one. (1) Brush through your hair and section off the hair you're going to use for the Dutch fishtail. Put you finger to the end of one eyebrow and draw a straight line to the back of your head. Repeat with the other eyebrow. (2) Sweep this section to the side and tie the rest of your hair up and out of the way. (3) Take two small pieces from the midpoint of your hairline and begin Dutch fishtailing. Keep adding hair until you run out then continue the fishtail all the way down, stopping an inch before the very end. (4) Before tying the fishtail off, go back and pancake the braid as much as you can. Fix up the ends and tie it off. (5) Release the ponytail holding the rest of your hair and brush through it again if necessary. (6) Take the hair from your temples on both sides and bring them to the back. The amount of hair you pick up for this part is up to you. I just kept adding hair into my hands until it felt substantial. (7) Bring the two pieces of hair to the back over the fishtail. I would suggest keeping the start of the braid level with your ears so some fishtail can peek over the top. (8) Skim the top third of the section off each side and combine them. This is your middle strand. Braid down normally. (9) Pancake the braid before tying it off. (10) Check to make sure both braids are visible, brush through the rest of the hair if it got mussed up in the process, and make finger guns at yourself in the mirror because you're ready to go!

The Result:

5.18.16 warrior braid (x)
Doesn't this hairstyle just make you want to get down to business? To defeat the Huns? (Let's be real, daughters would get the job done much better than sons could.) Don't forget to give it a like on Instagram if you haven't already!

The Verdict:

I actually ended up wearing this hairstyle twice, once on Saturday with Steph and again on Wednesday to commemorate the birthday celebration my roommates planned for me (thanks guys!). Both times I did this hairstyle, the Dutch fishtail would not stay centered, instead opting to lean towards the left. I guess this is kind of my fault for bringing it to the left side to finish off the braid, but you really can't blame me. My arms needed some type of respite. That being said, I personally feel that it worked out for the better because, while the top is off to the side, the tail of the fishtail is not hidden behind the regular braid. This hairstyle is probably best done on second day hair because both the Dutch fishtail and the regular braid lost a lot of their pancake throughout the day, though that could just be my hair texture. I'll also say that depending on how much hair you take from the sides, having hair over your shoulder may look unflattering. I took less on my second wear and it didn't look or feel as awkward when my hair fell over my shoulder throughout the day. The Warrior Braid was a lot of fun to wear, especially if you're partial to flipping your hair. You'll look extra cool doing so with this hairstyle.


Let me know what you thought of this hairstyle! I love this photo (thanks Steph! #photocred) and the braid just looks so good. I'm sure I was the envy of all the people sitting behind me in the audience. If only they knew about #hairoftheweek. Can you believe there are only two more weeks before you get to vote for your favorite?! That's crazy soon! And that extra Fan Favorite vote at the end of the season is not a lost cause. You still have a shot! As always, don't forget to follow me on Instagram to stay up-to-date on #hairoftheweek and all the other fun things going on in my life.


Talk to you soon!

xo, Yvette

6 comments:

  1. people you are the envy of:
    1) the people sitting behind you in the audience
    2) me
    3) a lot of other people probably this is not a comprehensive list

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty much all three Schuyler sisters rolled into one.

      Delete
    2. *points finger guns towards the sky* for my wife

      Delete
  2. Thank goodness we got there so early, otherwise this pic would not have been made possible. Now I'm gonna have that song stuck in my head, but that's okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a fun day. I'm still dreaming of Ivar's... So worth waking up early for.

      Delete