Sunday, March 27, 2016

#hairoftheweek: Winter 2016 Recap

We've reached that point of the season where it's time to close it out and gear up for the upcoming season. I've compiled all twelve #hairoftheweek posts into this Recap to make things a bit easier for you. Hopefully you didn't miss any of them as the season went on but if you somehow did, this is your chance to catch up! There's also some extra information about each hairstyle that was not included in their original blog posts so let's get to it!

January

1.6.16 rope half halo (x)

Rope Half Halo

This was one of those hairstyles that I couldn't believe I hadn't worn before. It seemed like a given, but it was new to me. I loved the volume the Rope Half Halo gave my hair and it tucked underneath the hair covering the bobby pins so perfectly, it felt like magic wearing it. On top of that, I also love the wintery feel of the photo. The Icelandic wool sweater really completes the look. Read more about this hairstyle here!

Skills: rope braiding
Materials: one small elastic, bobby pins
Difficulty: easy
Time: 3 minutes

Braid Flip Combo

1.13.16 braid flip combo (x)
The most surprising thing about this hairstyle for me was the amount of positive feedback it got. Since it's such an easy and simple 'do, I figured people would overlook this one. Definitely not the case. So much so that it became the Fan Favorite for this season! Read more about this hairstyle here!

Skills: braiding
Materials: three small elastics, one large elastic, bobby pins (optional)
Difficulty: easy
Time: < 5 minutes

Waterfall Feather Braid

1.21.16 waterfall feather braid (x)
The Waterfall Feather Braid caught my eye because, while it used similar techniques to what I usually employ, the look was very different. I'm typically not big on hairstyles that have hair still touching my face, but it was practicing this hairstyle that taught me how to waterfall braid, so I'm gonna give the face-touching a pass. At least it stayed put rather than falling in my face. I have to give it credit for that. Read more about this hairstyle here!



Skills: waterfall braiding, feathering, regular braiding
Materials: one small elastic
Difficulty: easy
Time: 5 minutes

Rey's Triple Buns

1.29.16 rey's triple buns (x)
At the time of this hairstyle, I had seen the new Star Wars movie twice in theaters and I had plans to visit Mr. Alegado, my former science teacher, who loves Star Wars and all things geeky. Deciding to recreate the hairstyle from the movie was a no-brainer. Who knew that doing something as simple as wearing Rey's buns could make you feel as cool as her?! Read more about this hairstyle here!

Skills: curling hair
Materials: one small elastic, three large elastics, curling wand/iron, bobby pins
Difficulty: easy
Time: < 10 minutes (without curling hair), 20-30 minutes (with curling hair) 

February 

Four Strand Crown

2.4.16 four strand crown (x)
Personally, this is one of my favorites of the season. It might be my affinity towards four strand braids or the way the light catches the individual strands, but there's something about this that makes me want to wear it all the time. That's another thing -- it's a really wearable, versatile, and buildable hairstyle. I can see so much potential in this halo. While braiding this halo was second nature to me, the difficulty and length of time for this hairstyle really depends on how well you've mastered the four strand braid. Read more about this hairstyle here!

Skills: four strand braiding
Materials: three small elastics
Difficulty: easy/medium
Time: 5-10 minutes 

Messy Heart Bun

2.11.16 messy heart bun (x)
The first time I wore the Messy Heart Bun was a few days before the romantic holiday but I decided to wear it again on Valentine's Day proper with a fishtail braid on the side, which eventually dissolved because my hair still isn't long enough. :( So in the end, I wore the heart with my hair straight and down. It looked just as nice all three ways and everybody got a kick out of it when they saw the bun for the first time. It was like finding a Hidden Mickey at a Disney park. Note: actual times will vary based on how quickly you can curl your hair so I'm going to stick with the time it takes to do just the heart, accounting for time to make and fix mistakes. Read more about this hairstyle here!

Skills: patience
Materials: two small elastics, many bobby pins, curling iron/wand (optional)
Difficulty: medium
Time: 10-15 minutes 

Wednesday Addams | Double Inverse Fishtails

2.17.16 double inverse fishtails (x)
The inspiration for this hairstyle came when I first put on the dress I wore for the outfit. The black lace screamed Addams Family to me and I simply could not resist. Wednesday Addams' hairstyle is really as basic as it gets so I thought I'd spice things up and make them fishtails -- nay, inverse fishtails -- to better match the tone of the dress. Read more about this hairstyle here!

Skills: inverse fishtailing
Materials: two small elastics
Difficulty: easy
Time: 10 minutes

 Mosaic Braid

2.26.16 mosaic braid (x)
Another outfit-centric hairstyle, I thought I'd hop on the one year anniversary of the black and blue vs. white and gold dress controversy and highlight my new black and blue dress. The hairstyle didn't show up well on camera, so that's a shame. It was still a fun one to wear because even in person it would take a little attention to detail to notice what made this braid special. Read more about this hairstyle here!

Skills: rope braiding
Materials: four+ small elastics, water
Difficulty: easy
Time: 10 minutes

March

Big Dutch Halo

3.2.16 big dutch halo (x)
The Big Dutch Halo is up there right next to the Four Strand Crown. I love this look because it's so full and princess-y and just overall amazing. I've already worn this hairstyle many times and it has never failed to disappoint. It'd be beautiful in spring with little flowers woven in or incorporated into another hairstyle. Something about this hairstyle just made me feel really cool. It's also very basic and takes very little time. Definitely a go-to hairstyle in my repertoire. Read more about this hairstyle here!


Skills: Dutch braiding
Materials: three small elastics
Difficulty: easy
Time: 5 minutes

Skeleton Braid

3.9.16 skeleton braid (x)
If I had somebody to do my hair for me, I would definitely choose this one to be done at the back of my head as it was intended rather than wearing it as a side braid. Not that it doesn't look amazing as a side braid. It'd just be nicer to be able to see the spine of the braid and understand why it's called the Skeleton Braid. Fluffy fishtail isn't a bad look, either. I would just like to see it reach its full potential. I would highly suggest trying this on someone else to see how cool it really is. Read more about this hairstyle here!

Skills: regular braiding
Materials: two small elastics, bobby pins
Difficulty: easy
Time: 10-12 minutes

Fan Favorite

#tbt Braid Flip Combo

3.17.16 #tbt braid flip combo (x)
I thought I'd go a little more advanced this time around since I had underestimated the Braid Flip Combo the first time around. Both ways looked really nice, especially with how the different types of braids catch the light in different ways. If you're short on time, the original is no downgrade from this slightly fancier version. I mean, it's the Fan Favorite. You can't go wrong with it. Read more about this hairstyle here!




Skills: fishtail braiding
Materials: three small elastics, one large elastic, bobby pins (optional)
Difficulty: easy
Time: 10-15 minutes

Bonus

#tbt Boho Lace Tieback

3.22.16 #tbt boho lace tieback (x)
It's funny how something as simple as doing your hair in a different way than normal can make such an impact. I can clearly remember every single day I've worn a #hairoftheweek hairstyle. Even looking back to last summer when I took this picture in Cannes, France! It seems like so long ago but I feel like I can remember every moment. This hairstyle would look amazing with your hair down, but you can also rock it with your hair in a ponytail as well. Read more about this hairstyle here!

Skills: lace braiding
Materials: two small elastics, one large elastic (three small and no large if you're wearing your hair down)
Difficulty: easy
Time: 5-10 minutes


That's a wrap! I hope you enjoyed all the hairstyles this season and maybe even tried them out! Definitely let me know if you do. Sometimes life can get stressful but having #hairoftheweek really helps and makes any day seem brighter. I can't wait for this upcoming season (my birthday will land somewhere in there and I still need a good hairstyle for the special occasion!) with the warmer weather and possibly more opportunity for outdoor photos. Don't forget to follow me on Instagram to stay up-to-date on the latest and greatest #hairoftheweek!


Talk to you soon!

xo, Yvette


4 comments:

  1. YOUR BIRTHDAY'S COMING UP HEARTSTRINGS PT 2

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH MY GOD NO AMY EXCLUSIVE IS STILL SITTING ON MY FLOOR

      Delete
  2. Ten of these are defined as easy. Nine of them you can do in 10 minutes or less. I don't see how this is possible. You must be the hair goddess.

    ReplyDelete