Sunday, March 20, 2016

#hairoftheweek: #tbt Braid Flip Combo

I can't believe we've blasted our way through another ten hairstyles! While the quarter itself took its sweet time, each #hairoftheweek came and went pretty quickly. Either way, I'm so relieved it's spring break. This is some much deserved rest, if I do say so myself. I need me some R&R. The best way to do that is by trying out some new hairstyles, right?

The Process:

I've collected all your votes and it was a close race between the Braid Flip Combo, Rey's Triple Buns, and the Messy Heart Bun. Other hairstyles got votes but these three were neck and neck the entire way. Technically, the same number of people voted for each of these hairstyles, but the winner of the extra vote put both their votes towards the Braid Flip Combo, pushing it over the edge to victory. I'm definitely not mad about it. All three deserved to be in the top three and the easiest of the them won. ¯\_(ツ)_

The Tutorial:

I replicated the original Braid Flip Combo but to change things up a bit, I invested a little more time and used fishtails instead of regular braids. Every other step remains the same. If you're too lazy to click that link to read the original, I'll copy and paste it here with the changes. (1) Take about an inch and a half of hair from one side of your part and fishtail braid all the way down. Start the braid at your temple. Tie it off. (2) Repeat on the other side. In the video, she tied the two together at the back of her head right away but I saved this step until the end because I didn't know where my ponytail would end up. (3) Gently fluff out the smaller fishtail so the two are even on both sides. When the look is complete, nobody will be able to tell the thickness of the fishtails, just the width. (4) Pull the remaining hair into a low, loose ponytail and flip it. Tweak as needed. (5) When your ponytail is the way you like it, bring the two braids to the back and adjust them to where you want them to be. Tie it off there and pull the tails through the hole where you flipped the ponytail. (6) Make sure the hairstyle is to you liking then untie the tails on each braid. (7) Loosen the flip as needed and brush the tails of the braids out so they blend with the rest of the ponytail. Voila!

The Result:

3.17.16 braid flip combo (x)
Quite regal, if I may say so myself. Don't forget to give it a like on Instagram if you haven't already!

The Verdict:

It's been so long since I wore the original Braid Flip Combo, that I can't remember if I liked the regular braid or the fishtail better. Not that it really matters, they're both just as beautiful and wearable. It should come as no surprise that opting for the fishtails will be a lot more time consuming but if that's the look you're going for, it's well worth it. I had a bit of trouble with the positioning because one braid was angled too low and it wanted to hide amongst the flip of the ponytail. Overall, though, I had a much easier time this time around than I did with the original. I had pulled out the flip too much and it ended up very droopy. I love how wearable this hairstyle is, I got a lot done the day I wore it and it was appropriate for every occasion. This one's a winner. ;)


Thank you if you voted this season, and if you didn't, don't worry! There's always next season. I'm glad that there are people that actually want to participate in #hairoftheweek; it warms my heart. Why else would I be doing my hair all fancy every week?! I certainly cannot see the back of my head most of the time. Stay tuned later this week for the Bonus #hairoftheweek and the Winter 2016 Recap! Don't forget to let me know what you thought of this one. Did your favorite win? If you're interested in keeping up with #hairoftheweek and other life adventures by following me over on Instagram!


Talk to you soon!

xo, Yvette

6 comments:

  1. it is very regal nd u are a princess

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1) Allison is correct
    2) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯!!!!!!
    3) my fav won so I won by association

    ReplyDelete