Wednesday, March 23, 2016

#hairoftheweek: {Bonus} Boho Lace Tieback

Since I'm on spring break and it's the end of a #hairoftheweek season, we're switching things up a bit. I'm bringing the bonus #hairoftheweek to you mid-week, and I hope you don't mind because we've got a big one headed our way this Sunday. I don't have time to come up with a hairstyle and go through the whole #hairoftheweek process over spring break as well as close out the season so my solution is to do the bulk of the work the summer before. Let it be known that I love to plan ahead.

The Process:

Early last year, I had been seeing the Boho Lace Tieback around and I thought it was pretty cool, but I filed it away for another day. When I saw Mack (Maia Mitchell) wearing a similar hairstyle in Teen Beach 2, I knew it had to make it into my lineup somehow. What better time than during my European vacation? I don't remember the reason why I chose Cannes, France in particular, but I have been saving this hairstyle for this very moment.

The Tutorial:

Cute Girls Hairstyles was the first to introduce the Boho Lace Tieback to me (what's new, right?). While it's definitely more boho to wear this hairstyle down and curled, that is simply not an option in summertime-Cannes. I mean, you could, but you'd overheat and die and you wouldn't even look cute doing it because all your hair is soaked through with your sweat and stuck to your neck. Yeah, I'll pass. To learn how I didn't die wearing this hairstyle, keep reading! (1) Part your hair in the middle. (2) Go a couple inches back and pick up a tiny, tiny piece of hair on one side of the part. It has to be right up on the part, though. No deviating. That's for later. (3) Divide that in to three, even tinier, sections and Dutch braid for one stitch. (You can also French braid, it'll look slightly different, but the overall effect will be the same.) (4) Add tiny piece of hair from the part to the section closest to the part. Don't add in hair on the other side and complete the stitch. (5) Keep lace braiding and, as you go, you can gradually move farther from the part. (6) I continued to add in hair until my temple, then I finished off the braid normally. (7) Tie it off and repeat with the other side. (8) Put the braids down and make a nice, high ponytail, but don't tie it. (9) Add in your braids and tie your ponytail. (10) Adjust your braids and ponytail as needed. (11) When everything is how you like it, release the elastics on the tiny braids and you're ready to take on a hot French day.

The Result:

3.22.16 #tbt boho lace tieback (x)
It was so long ago that my ponytail had barely reached my collarbone! Don't forget to give it a like on Instagram if you haven't already!

The Verdict:

The thing I remember most clearly about wearing this hairstyle was how difficult it was to get a good picture. Not only was I not at my best, with the sweat and all, but the sun was so brutal, I had to find shelter under some hanging flowers to avoid the unsightly shadows and harsh lighting of a photo taken in direct sunlight. For some reason, I sweat the most in Cannes. It doesn't make sense since it's by the sea and there should be a breeze. I'm not a big sweater and it was the only time during that trip I actually sweat through my shirt. Not even at Olympia, Greece was I this sweaty and we were far from any body of water then. This hairstyle does a great job of keeping those baby hairs and itty bitty flyaways out of your face because the braid is so fine. It's also different from a lot of other hairstyles as far as braids go so it's sure the catch people's eyes.


Let me know what you thought of this hairstyle in the comments below! I can't believe it's already been so long since I've worn this hairstyle (and been in France!). We'll be jumping right into Spring 2016 next week but before that happens, we have to get through the Winter 2016 Recap so stay tuned for that. As always, if you wan't to keep up-to-date with #hairoftheweek, follow me on Instagram! A new season means a new chance to earn that extra vote for Fan Favorite so be sure to turn your notifications on!


Talk to you soon!

xo, Yvette

4 comments:

  1. you look so cute and you have a lil flower halo aw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you let's go to France and be cute together.

      Delete
  2. I want to go to Cannes now because it sounds tropical and I see those palm trees in the background.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's on the Mediterranean so it's nice and warm always. Oh, how I miss the Mediterranean.

      Delete