Sunday, March 8, 2015

#hairoftheweek: Twisted Edged Fishtail

This week has completely flown by. I can hardly remember any of it but there is a lot to remember. (Clouds, anybody?) I do, however, recall having to find time every day to practice this hairstyle. It was definitely not a walk in a park. Speaking of walks, I went on a hike this week. It was for class but four miles is four miles, am I right? I feel like I should be a lot more stressed seeing as this is the last week of class before finals week. The calm before the storm...

If you're new to this blog and you like what you see, be sure to come back every Sunday at 12:30pm PST [x] and most Wednesdays at 4:00pm PST [x] for a new post! If you don't want to be bothered to remember when I post, I feel you. Keeping up is easy. You can either follow by email in the box to your right or you can follow this blog, as well as most other blogs, on bloglovin! On to the good stuff!

The Process:

The moment I laid eyes on this hairstyle I knew that it would be the one. Lately, I've been doing easier hairstyles and I feel like it's been a bit of a cop-out. That being said, it was completely coincidental that this hairstyle wound up being so difficult. As with any hairstyle, it gets easier with practice and while this braid certainly does get easier, it is by no means easy. I tried styling this braid on wet and dry hair as well as starting with a ponytail and with loose hair. Every combination was just as difficult as the last. I will say that putting it in a ponytail made starting the braid cleaner but it doesn't look as good. Naturally, I went the more difficult route, which made my hair look like it was slowly solidifying into a fishtail. Typically, the hairstyles I do look more difficult than they actually are but this was definitely the opposite. The Twisted Edge Fishtail is not a very technical braid (you really only need to fishtail and keep track of strands) but with slick hair like mine, it isn't long until you have an unfinished fishtail unraveling in your hands.

The Tutorial:

You'll often hear people say, "This braid is hard to start, but once you get going, it's a breeze!" Not the case for this braid. The tutorial I used for the Twisted Edge Fishtail is from Cute Girls Hairstyles. Keeping the different strands separate was a challenge, especially when you were too far down to throw those pieces over your shoulder. I won't even try to explain this one so if you want to know how I achieved this look, go ahead and click on that link!

The Result:

3.5.15 twisted edge fishtail (x)
I got so many compliments on this braid, I'm glad all that practicing paid off. Make sure to check it out on Instagram and give it a like if you haven't already!

The Verdict:

I'm so glad everybody loved it as much as I did, for all the work I put into this. I can see the places where I messed up but I don't know if anybody else can. It was tough keeping this braid neat since my hair is so silky and the individual strands liked mixing together. I thought this braid might loosen up throughout the day, as fishtails typically do, but it did its job. I actually didn't want to take it out at the end of the day because it was still so perfect. This would be a good one for athletes if you have the time to create it. I have always had difficulty with fishtail braids and I end up grabbing different size chunks of hair for each strand. I tell myself I do this to give it a "textured" look, but we all know that's not true. If you're familiar with your hair and are a seasoned fishtail braider, I would definitely give this one a shot. If you ever wear it, let me know because I definitely want to see it! Don't forget to follow me on Instagram to see what next week has in store!


Talk to you soon!

xo, Yvette

6 comments:

  1. Very cute! I can imagine taking it out was hard after putting in all that work. I might have to try this one out if it stays together that well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was hard to take out both mentally and physically. This braid is really tightly woven. I definitely want to see it if you try it out!

      Delete
  2. 1) CLOUDS
    2) I can't see where you think you messed up girl
    3) I want to try this because I fishtail my hair a lot but I also don't think it will work out for me because my hair is soooo thin so can I borrow some yours pls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1) CLOUDS AF
      2) Good. I shall carry the burden of my flaws on my own.
      3) I'd try it anyway. You can always pull it apart to make it look fuller.

      Delete
  3. 1) clouds clouds clouds
    2) seriously what mistakes i don't see them
    3) one day my hair will grow and then i shall learn to braid it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1) Clouuuuuuuuuuuds
      2) The most obvious mistake is even with the hem of my sleeve
      3) I will be there waiting, eager to share tips and hairstyles with you

      Delete