Sunday, September 25, 2016

Book Talk: September Uppercase Box Review

Usually I am counting down the days til my next Uppercase Box but I've been a little preoccupied this past month. That didn't stop me from squealing in delight when I received my "your package has shipped!" email and realized I would have a lovely surprise when I got home.


pouch!!!
My first reaction when I opened this month's box was "PURPLE." The first thing I pulled out was the Out of Print (!!!) pouch with rolling carts you'd find in libraries printed on it with the words "This is How We Roll" in the middle of the front. I've actually book looking at pouches for some time now (even though I didn't have any particular use for them in mind) and Uppercase always seems to know just what I want. It also got me humming This is How We Roll by Fifth Harmony, one of my favorites from their Reflection album, all day long. Since Out of Print is its own company, that means this item is an Uppercase exclusive (can't include something anybody can find and buy on their shop, can we?). It's funny because I was just thinking about how I should maybe buy another shirt or something from them since one of my current favorite tees is one that I bought from them. Uppercase loves doing all the heavy lifting for me.

mini notebook & sticker
The next goody was a sticker from Nerdy Post, another subscription box. Nerdy Post is a fandom box and its creator, Alexis Lampley, does a lot of lettering and calligraphy, stuff like that. It's gorgeous. The sticker, that reads "certified book addict," comes with a card advertising the Nerdy Post box and its past and future themes. I am very intrigued by the Percy Jackson and the Disney box... I just might have to sign up. That may be dangerous, though, based on the number of fandoms I'm in. Can I afford so many boxes?! I guess we'll just have to see... The bonus item in this box was a mini notebook with the cover of The Forgetting by Sharon Cameron on its cover. When I say mini, I mean mini. I'm not sure I can fit anything more than tally marks in it but it's just so cute. 

It's been a while since I've reached for a dystopian so I was surprised when I read the note and it said this would fall into that genre. In the past couple years, dystopians have not been so great. The themes are still important and relevant but the execution is so bland. There doesn't seem to be anything new. I can't vouch for The Forgetting seeing as I haven't read it yet (I don't even know what it's about) but I hope it breaks the mold. I know it's still early since it's been out for less than a month, but having a rating above four on Goodreads is no small feat. Hopefully this means there's something innovative about this novel that's really hooking people in. I mean, I'd give it four stars for being so beautiful.

September box! (x)

I am very happy with this month's box. Uppercase has yet to disappoint. Probably the best thing about this month (even though it doesn't really affect me) is that OwlCrate chose a different book! That was what, a three month streak? Fingers crossed I can count on having two separate book recommendations every month from here on out. I'll also need to look into Nerdy Post because it looks so fun and colorful. I guess I'll have to start coming to terms with the emptiness of my wallet...


Talk to you soon!

xo, Yvette

4 comments:

  1. It's a pencil pouch! It is a very purple box, perfect for a Husky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right! I hope the next box has a gold theme.

      Delete
  2. That lil notebook!! So cute even in its inpracticality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right!!!! I have no idea what I could use it for.

      Delete