Sunday, August 7, 2016

Book Talk: July Wrap Up

This past month I've felt like I've been in a reading slump but you wouldn't know that based on my book count. Just imagine all the books I could've read if I were on top of my game. Sigh... I think it didn't help that some of the books I read this month were just meh. I enjoyed every book I read, but there weren't as many books that made me squeal or feel strong as I like to read. I guess you'll have to read more about it under the cut!

Stats:

  • Books Read: 8
  • Genre:
    • Nonfiction: 1
    • Superhero: 1
    • Historical Fiction: 2
    • Contemporary: 1
    • Satire: 1
    • Fantasy: 2
  • Page Count: 2,565

Books:

No Dream Is Too High: Life Lessons From a Man Who Walked on the Moon by Buzz Aldrin

I'm not special in wanting to be an astronaut as a child but that doesn't make it any less dear to my heart. I watch a lot of late night talk shows (On YouTube the next day, of course. I'm far too old to be staying up that late.) and Buzz Aldrin's appearance on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert was how I found out about his new book. I was over the moon, so to speak, that there was a way for me to connect with someone whom I admire so much. I honestly could not believe I didn't think of it before. Of course he's written books! There are thirteen life lessons in this book and the advice wasn't anything I hadn't heard before, but they were shared via Buzz Aldrin's stories and that's what had me hooked. The stories he chose to tell were relevant, interesting, and organic. As I read this book, I found myself thinking I was sitting in a room with Buzz, listening to him tell me about his life. I learned things I didn't know I didn't know about the moon landing and the space program and what it was like in general to be an astronaut during the Space Race. After finishing this book, I realized how much it meant to me. I'm considering getting a copy to keep, which is a big deal since I don't really buy books. It'd just be nice to always have it on hand whenever I need to remind myself of the life lessons Buzz Aldrin thinks I should know or when I'm simply missing space. 

Superman: Red Son by Mark Millar 

OH. MY. GOD. I don't know what it is about me but I can't seem to get around to reading the non-genre twisting graphic novels. I guess I feel like I already get the gist of the Superhero so I can jump straight into the interesting stuff. We know Superman as the all-American hero, but that only happened by chance. He could've landed anywhere in the world. It's just as possible he would have ended up in China, or Brazil, or even the USSR. That's the story Millar explores in Red Son. (The title is also a clever play on words, which I fully appreciated at the end.) Seemingly out of nowhere, Stalin now has the most OP weapon ever. An alien that defies all laws. It's a good thing the core of Superman remains the same. I'm not talking about his killer abs, but his desire to do what he thinks is right. There's no Soviet propaganda like I thought there would be (okay, maybe there's a little but that's just to keep with the times). We see all your favorite DC characters in this narrative, revamped. I've taken a few weeks to process this story (especially the end!!!) and I still cannot fully comprehend how amazing this book is. My life has been changed. If you're at all a fan of superhero comics, I would go as far as calling this required reading. It's that good (and brain-melting). 

A Tyranny of Petticoats: 15 Stories of Belles, Bank Robbers, & Other Badass Girls edited by Jessica Spotswood

My passion for history ignited in fifth grade when I first got an in-depth look at American history. Since then, I've been fascinated by the whole world's history, but there's something that American history that always keeps me interested. History is also told through the lens of the victor and the top dog at the time. Historically, that has been white men. Here we have fifteen stories about American girls told through space and time in America's history. 

"Mother Carey's Table" by J. Anderson Coats 

1710: British North America
[3 stars] This story was kinda weird for me. I didn't like the scene set towards the end. There was also an overall sense of sexism that didn't sit right with me. I understand that that's what it was like back then, but having this story be my first impression of the anthology wasn't the best choice in my opinion. In case you're wondering what it's about, it's pirates. Great premise, right? It wasn't bad, just not to my taste.

"The Journey" by Marie Lu

1723: The Great Land
[4 stars] I was excited to read more of Marie Lu's work and this story turned out to be one of the saddest. As the only child in her family, Yakone wishes to learn how to whale hunt with her father but never gets a chance to before the white men, gusaks, come and obliterate her Inuit village. She manages to get away with her father's dog sled and some supplies but the journey is rough, as one can imagine in Alaskan winter in 1723. There is a happy ending, but I will say no more. It makes me unbearably angry to think about how Native American culture was nearly annihilated.

"Madeleine's Choice" by Jessica Spotswood

1826: New Orleans, Louisiana
[5 stars] Set in a time and place when there were slaves, freed black people, and white people (they can do whatever they want obviously), this story is from the perspective of a young, free black girl. She's been enchanted by this white boy but a childhood friend (also young and free and black) has asked for her hand in marriage. This is where her choice comes in. It was so fascinating reading the social dynamics in this other world that I have never been exposed to before.

"El Destinos" by Leslye Walton

1848: Southwest Texas
[4 stars] A twist on the mythology of The Fates, these three sisters appeared in Texas one night and they have managed to live a quite life. In this incarnation, they're unusually young, granting them a different experience than they've had in the past. One would think immortality would make one immune to the follies of romance, but alas.

"High Stakes" by Andrea Cremer

1861: Boston, Massachusetts; and Natchez, Mississippi
[5 stars] I loved this story. It's unlike the others in that it's solidly fantasy. I think I would classify this one as a paranormal story. There are witches/wizards, goblins, vampires, and the like all coming together to compete in the Game. This year's Game has some high stakes (whoop there it is) seeing as America is on the brink of Civil War. I'd better not spoil any more because this one is so worth the read.

"The Red Raven Ball" by Carline Tung Richmond

1862: Washington, D.C.
[5 stars] I had a lot of fun with this one. Of course it was stressful, but hello? Spies? Heck yes. It's not easy living in DC during the Civil War. Literally caught in between the Union and the Confederacy, Elizabeth has caught wind that a Confederate spy would be attending the ball Grandmama is throwing for her and it's up to her to find out who it is. Spies are personally one of my favorite things ever (if I can't be an astronaut I'm gonna be a spy) so there was no question about this story being one of my favorites in the anthology.

"Pearls" by Beth Revis

1876: Chicago, Illinois; and Cheyenne, Wyoming Territory
[5 stars] So Helen was careless enough to be spotted dallying with Richard, but does that mean she now has to marry him? At this time in history, yes. That's why she's decided to run. Lucky she comes from a rich family and has at the privilege of education. With her knowledge in her arsenal, she heads to Wyoming Territory to escape to a teaching job. Here she comes in contact with a whole new way of life and has the chance to get to know this group of kids who ends up being a lot more special than what meets the eye. I loved the writing style in this one, which is no surprise because Beth Revis is one of my favorite authors.

"Gold in the Roots of the Grass" by Marissa Meyer

1877: Deadwood, Dakota Territory
[5 stars] It's hard for me not to love anything Marissa Meyer writes. Apparently back in the late 1800s, Chinese American girls were good at communicating with the dead. It's mostly fortune cookie stuff, but in doing so, Fei-Yen uncovers something much more sinister. Like, it's really dark. And it is also very unfair not only to the victims, but also to the scapegoats. I'll leave it to you to find out more. (I also found James to be very charming. He had me hooked.)

"The Legendary Garrett Girls" by Y. S. Lee

1898: Skaguay, Alaska
[5 stars] I love me some clever girls and the Garrett sisters are exactly that. They're the owners of the most successful saloon in Skaguay and that makes them a target for Soapy Smith, a real con artist during the Klondike Gold Rush. Soapy makes an "offer" that the sisters literally cannot refuse. The two of them concoct a plan and enlist the help of John, their Tlingit friend, to not only get them out of there, but also have their sweet revenge while they're at it.

"The Color of the Sky" by Elizabeth Wein

1926: Jacksonville, Florida; and Dallas, Texas
[5 stars] If there's one thing I know about Elizabeth Wein it's that she loves aviation. This early in the 20th century, aviation is still a very new thing and it's no surprise that it's glorified. Representation is important and it's extra inspiring when the first American to earn an international pilot's license is a black woman named Bessie Coleman. When her plane malfunctions during a practice run, Bessie doesn't survive and Antonia is left with the records of the plane. Intent on learning more about Bessie, Antonia goes on a half-nationwide journey and ends up meeting some pretty great (not racist and also real!) people.

"Bonnie and Clyde" by Saundra Mitchell

1934: Indiana
[5 stars] I don't know if you'd call this story fun, but I certainly had a fun time with it. Set in the Great Depression, the only place with money is the banks. In order to get money, you have to steal from said banks. Sweet, innocent girl by day; quick, thieving boy by night. That's the pants-wearing life she lives to keep her town from dying. Anything boys can do, girls can do better.

"Hard Times" by Katherine Longshore

1934: Washington State
[5 stars] Another Great Depression story but this time out West. When times are tough sometimes the only thing you can do is to get away. That's what many teenagers did a the time by train-jumping. Here we have a story of a girl who's been train-jumping for a while now (with a younger boy in tow) and has just encountered a well off teenage reporter who just might have a good heart. I may be biased, but this this was one of my favorites.

"City of Angels" by Lindsay Smith

1945: Los Angeles, California
[5 stars] If you paid attention in US history class, you'd know that while the men were off fighting in the World Wars, it was up to the ladies to pick up the work back home. Something that often gets written out of the narrative is that of the LGBTQ+. Guess what? Girls can like girls! They can and they have and that's what this story is about. It's a romance that was never meant to last, whether it be because of the war itself or the return of their beaus, but that doesn't stop Evelyn from dreaming of a life with Frankie. Even more so after she shows Evie all this "lifestyle" has to offer.

"Pulse of the Panthers" by Kekla Magoon

1967: California
[4.5 stars] When I saw this title in the table of contents, I was eager to get to it. I knew it wouldn't paint the Black Panther Party in a negative light and that was something I was excited to read. It ended up being a very sweet story of a sheltered girl learning about the world outside her small town with racial unrest as the backdrop. There isn't much else to say because "a very sweet story" pretty much sums it up. It gave a behind-the-scenes look of sorts of how it must feel to find sanctuary (as much as any place can be a sanctuary) in a world where you are essentially being hunted.

"The Whole World Is Watching" by Robin Talley

1968: Grant Park, Chicago, Illinois
[3 stars] Set in a protest during the tumultuous civil rights movement, this short story walks us through Jill's mental process as she recounts how her life has changed since moving from Tennessee to Illinois. In this internal dialogue, we get a sense of what a young black girl (who has just recently found out she's not heterosexual) is experiencing at this time in history. This is internal struggle is paired with the external conflict between the peaceful protesters and the cops ("pigs") who have free reign to do whatever they want. This is a story that unfortunately hits too close to home. It's discouraging to see how little progress we've made since the sixties and "The Whole World Is Watching" is a reminder of that.

As I was reading about all these wonderful girls in history, I decided to look it up on Goodreads and found out there's going to be a sequel. I repeat: there is going to be a sequel!!! Well, it won't be a true sequel, seeing as this is an anthology, but I assume part two will have fourteen new authors (Spotswood is sure to return for her own anthology) and will reset to the beginning of American history once more. I was elated to hear the news and I certainly will await 2018 with patient fervor.

My Lady Jane by Cynthia Hand, Brodie Ashton, & Jodi Meadows

I don't often get a chance to read historical fiction and this month I was fortunate enough to get around to two books (sixteen stories overall)! I hadn't heard of this book before it came in my Uppercase Box but it turned out to be such a treat. I was skeptical when I read the premise (she has to marry a horse?!) but I knew I had to trust my book box. They wouldn't steer me wrong. If you are unfamiliar with Lady Jane Grey, she was a girl who was queen for nine days before being beheaded. That's not the best plot for a romantic comedy so our lovely authors have revised history a bit and added a hint of magic to liven up the story. Honestly, this book shouldn't work but it does. It so does. I can't even explain it; it's best to read it yourself (which I highly recommend doing). There are some people who can transform into animals like Animagi in the Harry Potter universe although these transformations can be uncontrollable. This does explain that bit about having to marry a horse. Speaking of the horse, you can expect a lot of horse puns. Enough that their presence alone would qualify this book for a five-star rating. Along with the horse puns, there are also pop culture references throughout the story. I must've missed some of them because I'm not as well-versed in pop culture as I like to believe I am but I caught enough of them to get a good chuckle out of it. If you're looking for a (somewhat) quick (it's long but fast-paced), fun summer read, this is the book for you. It's a nice change from the cutesy contemporary novels (that I haven't been reading very much of this summer!) while still providing that bubbly experience. 

Challenger Deep by Neal Shusterman

I like to go into books knowing little to nothing so everything that comes at me is a surprise. That usually works out in my favor but as you've probably gathered, it didn't this time. I thought this book was actually going to be about a ship going to explore the Marianas Trench but nope. Everything is a metaphor. I battled with that disappointment for a while but it made getting into the story even harder because the writing is very stylistic. The writing was so foreign to me that it took more than half the book for me to get going. Despite my expectations and the jarring structure of the narration, this book portrays mental illness in a way that doesn't romanticize it at all. This book documents the journey of Caden's descent into his mental illness (I'm not clear on what he actually suffers from (not anxiety though) but I may have just missed it when I was reading), hallucinations, delusions, and all. An aspect of this book that added to the authenticity was the drawings sprinkled throughout. In his author's note, Shusterman talked about how his family has a history of mental illness and this book was inspired by his son. He had experienced what Caden was going through and the drawings are actually his. If I had known Challenger Deep was actually about mental illness and not a literal deep-sea expedition, I probably would've been able to rate this book higher. Expectations are powerful. I think if I had known, I would've had the chance to better prepare myself. When I read, I tend to take on the characteristics of the characters and diving into this book head first left me very paranoid and anxious and almost physically sick at times. That was just me reading the book. I can't even imagine what it would be like to truly experience something like that. Overall, phenomenal novel tackling mental illness but know that going in so you're ready for what you're about to face.

Look Who's Back by Timur Vermes 

I have been looking forward to reading this book for years (and the film adaptation is on Netflix so I'm planning on watching that in the near future). Understandably, it's controversial. By some unexplained phenomenon, Hitler has been reanimated. Hitler of all people. He himself hasn't changed but as you and I know, the world has changed a lot since he supposedly died in 1945. Set in 2011, Hitler is now experiencing everything for the first time, being himself, as he does, and it has drawn a lot of attention. It's not long before he lands his own show and his clips land on YouTube, sparking a nationwide (maybe even worldwide?) uproar. Some of that is in protest of this comedian whose likeness is too similar to the Real Deal (heh, little do they know) but most of it are in awe of this impeccable impersonation. One gripe I had while I was reading this was how Hitler would go on and on for maybe three pages about one new thing he was experiencing. This was the kind of thing I was expecting when I heard about this book, but in practice it was rather long-winded. The first page was exciting and funny but then it just kept going on until I started contemplating whether or not I should skip ahead. Then it would end and it would be fine until he found another new thing to rant about. 

Towards the end of the book, there was a scene that really scared me. It brought to my attention how terrifying he actually is. Throughout the book I was very much aware that he was Hitler with the sexist and racist remarks but he delivered these lines in a way that was extremely charismatic. I found myself taking this all very lightly because I knew it wasn't real, but this exchange between him and his secretary brought to light how dangerous his charisma is. I fell into the trap of an author's portrayal of Hitler. That's only a fraction of what he was like in real life. It pains me to say, but I can see how so many went along with his horrendous agenda. As a satire, Look Who's Back undoubtedly accomplished what it set out to do. 

Blue Lily, Lily Blue by Maggie Stiefvater 

Reading this book has been a long time coming. I actually started reading it months ago but the copy the library had provided me made my hands smell like cigarette smoke and that was entirely unacceptable so I returned it immediately to put it on hold again. Thankfully this time around my copy was scent-free enough for me to forgive the pages that were falling out. Although I loved the start of this series, The Raven Boys, I haven't been as impressed with the subsequent installments. I guess I was impressed with the first one but then the following books were just confusing? I can follow along with the events in the books but I'm struggling to grasp the concept of Glendower and Cabeswater and Greenmantle's web and the like. My favorite part of this book was the inter- and intrapersonal character development for every single cast member. I'm glad The Raven King is already out because at this point I just want answers. I didn't not like this book, but I have not been satisfied with this series so far. I've enjoyed the books themselves, but there's this feeling nagging at me like I'm not getting enough.  

Lady Renegades by Rachel Hawkins


This final book in the Rebel Belle trilogy makes up for the mess that was Miss Mayhem. It makes it easy to wipe my memory of that admittedly forgettable middle installment and I am very grateful for that. In the conclusion of the trilogy, the stakes are high as ever and even more urgent since there are other Paladins out to kill Harper. Not only that, but for some reason, her power keeps cutting out at the most inconvenient of times (i.e. when those other Paladins are out for blood). In order to get to the bottom of this, Harper sets off on a road trip to find David once and for all. This book was a bit predictable and the ending was paced a little more quickly than the rest of the novel but it was very enjoyable and, let's be honest, most things would be considered good after Miss Mayhem. I think this story would've worked solo with Rebel Belle as a stand alone but I can't be mad at some quick reads to boost my book count. Lord knows I need the bump.  


Okay, so that post was longer than I thought it would be. I blame the anthology. Hopefully you were entertained and were able to find some books you might enjoy out of this post! What have you been reading recently? I'm always down to talk about books and I need some good vacation reads so recommendations would be appreciated! I can't wait to give my Kindle a little more love.


Talk to you soon!

xo, Yvette


P.S. The Rio Olympic Games are officially under way and if you didn't already know this about me, every two years my life stops for two weeks and revolves around the Olympics. If you want to keep up with my thoughts on Prime Time, follow me on Twitter! I'll be livetweeting whatever I'm able to watch and occasionally (hopefully more often than not) it can be funny or entertaining. See you on Twitter!

6 comments:

  1. So I super super need to read Red Son especially since you loved it so much ALSO: like how in suicide squad amanda waller was like "what if superman WASN'T on our side" and this is that story isn't it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seriously blew my mind. I still can't fully wrap my head around it. A work of genius, tbh. It was pretty much exactly that but, you know, better.

      Delete
  2. I have got to read Buzz Aldrin's book so I can go to the moon. That's how that works right? I read it and then I'm an astronaut?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It worked for me. I think there needs to be one of those "dermatologists hate her!" ads for how fast I became an astronaut.

      Delete
  3. That anthology sounds awesome. I feel like you have informers who tell you all about the good books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That anthology is awesome. I honestly couldn't tell you how I find out about these books. Probably a mix of Booktube, keeping up with authors, and just taking a chance on new books. I do like to be the informant though. Making book lists is a lot of fun.

      Delete