Sunday, February 21, 2016

#hairoftheweek: Wednesday Addams | Double Inverse Fishtails

Last season I did a Khaleesi-inspired hairstyle and it was so well received, I knew I had to think up some more hairstyles based on characters we all know and love. A month ago, Abercrombie put their clearance on sale and it was an offer I couldn't refuse. This dress was one that I ordered and it just came in last week. The moment I tried it on, I knew what had to be done. Wednesday Addams has been on my mind since I saw the Addams Family Musical in November and all the pieces were falling into place for this week's hairstyle.

The Process:

As I mentioned in my intro, I bought this dress online and, at the time, I had no idea what I was going to do with it. I just knew it was gorgeous and I had to have it (plus it was on sale so there was no reason not to; all the signs were pointed towards yes). The second I put it on, however, something clicked into place. Well actually the first thing was "ohhh, there's a zipper..." but aside from my relief that I didn't bust the dress open trying to tug it on, my first impression was how Wednesday Addams the dress was. It doesn't have the white Peter Pan collar but to me, it was channeling a fancy, more grown up Wednesday Addams. With this image in my head, my mind immediately jumped to the possible hairstyles. If I didn't do the pigtails, I would've taken the character beyond recognition so that had to stay. Since I saw this as a dressier Wednesday, I thought I'd stick with the pigtails but instead go with inverse fishtails rather than regular braids. It's a basic hairstyle, but it's a lot less basic than two regular braids. I asked around for some name suggestions since Inverse Fishtail Pigtails is a mouthful so now we have the Double Inverse Fishtails. It's a really basic one this week but think of it as a building block for other hairstyles. I can already think of one for when my hair gets longer.

The Tutorial:

Ever wanted to look creepy-cute? Here's your ticket. (1) Part your hair however you like. Wednesday parts her hair in the middle but since my dress is most grown up, I parted my hair to the side like I normally would to go with the outfit. (2) Split your hair in half in the back. You might have a little more hair on one side, but that's okay. Don't worry about your part. (3) Brush through the hair you're working with and divide it in two equal parts. (4) Begin inverse fishtail braiding it. This is just like regular fishtailing, but instead of taking hair from the side, bringing it to the front, and combining it with the other section, we're taking hair from the side, bringing it around to the back, and adding it to the other section. If you need a visual, here is a tutorial. (5) Continue down the length of your hair and tie it off. (6) Repeat with the other side and when you tie this one off, make sure it's even with the other side. You don't want lopsided pigtails. Adjust as necessary. (7) Scowl, and you've instantly transformed into a fancy Wednesday Addams.

The Result:

2.17.16 double inverse fishtails (x)

"I'm a homicidal maniac. They look just like everyone else." Don't forget to give it a like on Instagram if you haven't already!

The Verdict:

It's made of lace and shadows.

I love that this look is wearable on its own, but even more fun if you get the reference. It's a simple hairstyle, but it pulls the look together quite nicely. I chose inverse fishtails over regular fishtails because personally, I find they're easier to do and they hold so much better. I don't know why this is -- it's literally a regular fishtail but backwards. Inverse fishtails also make the rest of the hair lay nice. Regular fishtails have you bringing hair towards your face but you don't have to worry about hair falling in your face when you bring hair back to make inverse fishtails. I've also included a picture of the dress since I've mentioned it in this post so many times. Amy tells me it looks like something Taylor Swift has worn. Taylor Swift as in #fashiongoals Taylor Swift. My dreams have come true. 


I think (Of) Lace and Shadows could be a cool book or song or band name. Dark but also feminine, in true femme fatale fashion. Even though paired with the outfit, this hairstyle screams Wednesday, this hairstyle isn't specific to her character. That's the great thing about it. It would look super cute with a cheery sundress or literally any other outfit. The hairstyle itself isn't doom and gloom, that's the state of mind. Let me know what you think of this hairstyle! I know it was bit of a cheat since it's very, very basic but I hadn't done it for #hairoftheweek yet. We all gotta return to our roots, right? And to be fair I never would have thought to do pigtails if it weren't for a character. Don't forget to turn on my notifications on Instagram to be alerted when I post! That's your best bet at getting you first like, and you know what first likes mean. ;) (The person with the most first likes gets an extra vote for Fan Favorite, if you didn't know.)


Talk to you soon!

xo, Yvette

2 comments:

  1. This is so perfect I love it. The last step is very necessary, I think. Wednesday is my favorite Addams.

    ReplyDelete