Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Happy Hub: Fifth Harmony, SNL40, Zoya Lux, & More!

If you're familiar with blogs, you'd know that a lot of them do monthly favorites posts and weekly roundups of their favorite links. Happy Hub will be a combination of the two. I'll to be compiling all the things that brought me joy over the last month whether it be music, books, videos, or an event that happened in my life. The plan is to post them on the last Wednesday of every month. Maybe you'll find something here that you missed out on.

If you need to catch up on what's been happening on this blog, click here for some hair, here for some books, and if you're new, these posts here and here should bring you up to speed! Don't forget to follow this blog via email in that box to the right or follow me on bloglovin!


Tunes

I definitely have been on a Fifth Harmony kick this month. In the past, I just assumed I wouldn't like their music because I didn't like Me & My Girls. Turns out, that was the only song that didn't tickle my fancy. Not only have I been obsessed with their new album, Reflection, but I've also been listening to their older songs like Better Together, Leave My Heart Out of This, and Don't Wanna Dance Alone. Some of my favorites from 5H's new album are Sledgehammer and Reflection (what a plot twist, am I right?!). Their vocals are so strong, it astounds me. The final minute of This is How We Roll slays me. Top Down is also a good one. You know what? Just listen to the entire album.

I am not one to support 50 Shades of Grey but its soundtrack really is great. What a shame that these great songs are forever attached to such a gross movie. My personal favorite is Love Me Like You Do by Ellie Goulding. I have it on repeat almost constantly and will definitely be associating this song with this time in my life.

Aside from the new music, I have revisited an old favorite. Towards the end of the month, I was feeling very nostalgic and had some intense Troy and Gabriella feels which led me to Can I Have This Dance from High School Musical 3. Every time I listen to this song I want to waltz around the room, which is a bit problematic when I'm walking to class but I'm not complaining.

Another project (of sorts) I've started this month is recommending a song a day to Allison. So far, we've completed Phase Andy (Grammer) and have moved on to Phase Olly (Murs). It's a fun way to share music and I definitely look forward to it everyday. If you haven't been listening to their music you really should.


The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

I am a huge fan of late night talk shows, especially the Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon and Late Night with Seth Meyers. Jimmy Fallon has had such a fun month. He went from Arizona, where he Lip Sync Battled with Kevin Hart and Will Ferrell after the Super Bowl, to Los Angeles for a week where this Saved by the Bell sketch happened. For the rest of the month, he was back in New York and played Catchphrase with Colin Firth and Jack McBrayer and Charles Barkley was even on the show for the NBA All-Star Game. One my favorite sketches Fallon does is the one where he and a guest act out different scenes with insanely quick costume changes - all done live. This time, Fallon teamed up with Taylor Swift for a walk down Jumbotron Dancing memory lane.

It was so hard narrowing this list down (bonus video!). If I could link to every Tonight Show video that made me laugh, we'd be here all day. Instead, you can just work your way through the Tonight Show YouTube channel here.



SNL 40

Not only was the show itself phenomenal, but the stories of the after party left me in a puddle of fangirl tears. Jimmy Fallon recaps it here.

The show was so star-studded, I went into shock just watching the opening title. The monologue with Jimmy Fallon and Justin Timberlake was also one of the best parts of the show. It made me nostalgic for sketches I wasn't even alive for. (Jimmy Fallon was on top of things this month.) My favorite part of SNL will always be Weekend Update and while the Update for SNL 40 had killer one-liners, I do wish it were longer. Another highlight of the broadcast was the That's When You Break short. It truly is the best part of any episode of SNL.



Nails

Zoya Lux (x)
This month I wore Zoya Lux. When I'm wearing this polish, I feel as though I could flip somebody the bird and they would thank me for it. At the same time, I think it would make for gorgeous wedding nails. out with the bland french tips and in with the pizzazz of a Zoya PixieDust, I say!
Although these were meant to be my Valentine's Day nails, the polish didn't turn out pink at all. I hoped it was just the lighting but nope. In my opinion, it looks more like Zoya Cosmo than it does Lux. Nevertheless, it is still spectacularly glittery and eye-catching. My nails have since grown and a lot of the polish has worn off but I still have a hard time focusing in class. The sunny days we've been having definitely have not been any help.

This is the first time I've tried a PixieDust and the first night it was a lot rougher than I'd imagined. I was actually afraid it might snag my clothing. Overnight, however, it settled, for lack of a better word, and ended up closer to the texture I was expecting. For those who don't know, Zoya PixieDusts are textured polishes with a matte finish and chunky glitter.
Focus on the sparkles.
Ignore the lobster hands.



Blogosphere

Since starting my own blog, I've been perusing other blogs more consistently and one of my favorites is definitely Steph's. On her blog, Sparkle and Sprinkle, Steph blogs about gorgeous jewelry (sparkle) and her baking adventures (sprinkle). It's a nice, crafty blog and I'm all about it. She posts on Tuesdays and Fridays so make sure you go give her some love and comment on her posts!

As you already know, I started this blog at the beginning of February and the fact that anybody reads it at all is surprising. I'm going to assume that, because you're currently reading this, you are one of my readers (duh) and I really appreciate you.

Hopefully this post brought a smile to your face. These were all the things I enjoyed this month but I'm sure I've missed something. Let me know what made you happy in the comments!


Talk to you soon!

xo, Yvette

4 comments:

  1. Aww, the shout out made me so happy. :) Also, that nail polish looks like crushed up diamonds.

    ReplyDelete