Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Book Talk: Popsugar 2015 Reading Challenge

We're well into the year and I have been hard at work on my Popsugar 2015 Reading Challenge. I haven't been one to participate in reading challenges in the past beyond my Goodreads reading goal but I thought I might try something new this year. I usually just read whatever I want, whenever I want, which allows me to stay in my comfort zone. Nothing wrong with sticking to what you know, but I always tell myself that I'm going to try reading more classics or that this is the year I'm going to venture into non-fiction but that never seems to happen.

The Popsugar 2015 Reading Challenge is a list of 50 challenges, one of which is "a trilogy" so the challenge technically calls for 52 books. There are quite a few on the list that are vague enough for me to stay in my comfort zone but just enough to push my limits. I'd rather ease into trying new books rather than diving in headfirst. I could have easily allowed myself to count one book for multiple categories and be done with it in two and a half months, but cheaters never prosper. That being said, I don't think completing this challenge is a realistic goal for me. There are so many new releases I have been anticipating (Magnus Chase, anybody?) that there simply isn't enough time in the year to get to every book I'd like to read. At the end of the day, the books I want to read are the ones that take priority because that really is what makes reading fun.

I would love to show you all 52 books I have selected for this challenge but that was be an impossibly tedious task and I can't imagine it'd be enjoyable for you either. However, I will share a couple of the books I am most excited about and will most likely get to. If you are, in fact, interested, I have added all the books I plan on reading to a shelf on my Goodreads which you can find here. Click the read more to see my top five picks!


Hyperbole and a Half by Allie Brosh

A book written by someone under 30. I really got a kick out of the blog, Hyperbole and a Half, back in the day. I loved Brosh's humor and her art style, it was just an all-around fun time. I've been meaning to get to this book ever since it came out but I am terrible at making time for non-fiction books. This year, I am finally going to get around to it. I've heard great things about this book and I am prepared for laughs.





The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury

A book of short stories. My first experience with The Illustrated Man was in seventh grade. We read a couple stories from it for English class and my teacher promised we'd get back to it but guess what never happened. Sigh. I have been interested in this book for six years and I've only read about two stories from it. I'm curious to know what else this man has tattooed on his body. It's been on my wish list for a while because I know I'd love and most likely reread it, but nobody has noticed so it's time for me to take things into my own hands.



Snow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch

A book with antonyms in the title. Recently, the YA community has been buzzing about this book. Personally, I love a good high fantasy and anything that sounds remotely like the Throne of Glass series has me intrigued. Kingdoms and magic and BA ladies? Count me in.








Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple

A book that takes place in your hometown. How many times have I seen this book in bookstores the last couple months? Way too many times for it to not have captured my attention. I didn't even realize it was set in Seattle until I started looking for a book that takes place here and that only piqued my interest. This is an adult novel and definitely beyond my usual sphere of literature but from what I'm understanding, it's a satirical novel. How can I say no?




Look Who's Back by Timur Vermes

A book that was originally written in a different language. The moment I heard about this book, I knew I had to read it. The premise is basically that Hitler's back. Sounds awful, but the year is 2011 and this reborn Hitler still thinks he's in Nazi Germany. All of a sudden, he's thrown into the spotlight for being the greatest Hitler impersonator of all time and the best part is that he never breaks character. All I'm hoping for is that this book lives up to expectations because, let's be real, it could go very wrong.




There you have it! Obviously there are 42 other books on this list and I could talk about why I chose each book but I decided a tl;dr version would be the best way to go about it. Let me know if you're doing this reading challenge or if you've read any of the books on my list. Talking about books is one of my favorite pastimes and I'd love to have a chat!


Talk to you soon!

xo, Yvette


P.S. I would have included The Sword of Summer by Rick Riordan on this list but it does not have an official cover yet. Also, it should be assumed that I am more than stoked for anything Riordan churns out.

4 comments:

  1. Oohhh let me know about The Illustrated Man because I loved Fahrenheit 451

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think anything Ray Bradbury wrote was an instant classic. I remember really enjoying the couple stories I read from The Illustrated Man, though. I'm expecting a lot.

      Delete
  2. Heck yeah to Magnus Chase! Also, I need books to read, so challenge accepted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope Rick writes Norse myth as well as he writes Greek. Egyptian mythology was a bit lacking.

      Delete