Sunday, October 18, 2015

#hairoftheweek: Swoopy Half Up

I'm proud to be starting out this season with a bunch of my originals. I'm really glad I had a bunch lined up because this quarter has proven to be the busiest I've ever been in my college career thus far. Another perk of having my original hairstyles is that they're all so easy and I only have to practice them once before I'm ready to go. This hairstyle was so simple that I subconsciously had to make up for it by stabbing my eye with the mascara wand twice. That's what I tell myself to cover up my ineptitude.

The Process:

There are a lot of hairstyles revolving around headbands and I think they're gorgeous. The problem is that my hair is too slippery for the headbands to stay. To combat this problem, I've decided to try making a headband out of my own hair. I've done headband hairstyles in the past but not quite like this. Those have always been a braid or two from ear to ear. This one goes around the crown of my head. Maybe one day I'll find a headband that works with my hair but until then, I've got the Swoopy Half Up.

The Tutorial:

This is a hairstyle made up of a lot of judgement calls. (1) Part your hair however you like. It's up to you! I would suggest not going too deep and a middle part would look really cool. (2) Go back half an inch to an inch and section out about an inch of hair. You can take more if you want your "headband" to be thicker. (3) Braid regularly (nothing fancy!) down the length of your hair and tie it off. (4) Do the exact same thing on the other side. It's best if you take the same width of hair, keeping with the headband illusion. (5) Bring the two braids together at the back of your head and tie them together. (6) Take however much of the hair you want out of your face from the front and tuck it into its respective braid. (7) Viola! You're done! Just don't forget the untie the tails.

The Result:

10.14.15 swoopy half up (x)
This hairstyle, paired with my outfit, gave me such a boho-chic vibe that I was ready to start singing San Francisco and put some flowers in my hair in the middle of class. Don't forget to give it a like on Instagram if you haven't already!

The Verdict:

Ignore the slippers. #ootd
The Swoopy Half Up is so much yes. I have some little wispy hairs that like to fall out but that adds to the messy look. I love that since you're not actually holding your hair down, there's so much volume at the front even without teasing. It also keeps my hair out of my face, which I'm a really big fan of. It's also really easy to fix. If your hair isn't falling the way you like it or you think you pulled back too much, just pull it back out and try again. It's great having an headband alternative that's new and refreshing. It's not a hairstyle you see many people doing. It's also very customizable. Theoretically, you could use any type braid you'd like for the headband, it just depends on how much time you're willing to spend. You can also decide how relaxed you want your headband to be and how much hair you want to leave out. I also think this hairstyle would be really cute with curled hair. All the possibilities! It's almost overwhelming.


Hopefully after reading this blog post you realize how easy this hairstyle is and give it a shot. I would love to see you try it! If you missed the start of this season of #hairoftheweek, you can catch up here and here! Don't forget that when time comes to vote for fan favorite at the end of the season, the person with the most first likes on Instagram (follow me to keep up to date!) gets an extra vote to use as they please! And as always, follow xo, Yvette via email or via Google+ in the sidebar!


Talk to you soon!

xo, Yvette

7 comments:

  1. Those SLIPPERS. I love it.
    (also if you are reading this and you are Yvette's dad, hello)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all these Yvette originals! So cute and I also love how this one creatively solves the problem of a headband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Steph! It's great for when all you've got is the hair tie on your wrist and you want to try something other than a ponytail.

      Delete