Sunday, September 13, 2015

Travelog: Greek Isles Cruise

Now that we've finished one cruise, it's time to usher in the second half of our trip. If the title doesn't tip you off, Greece is the word. This cruise is taking us to the Greek Isles (plus Venice)! These islands have been a dream destination for me and my mom for years. I was overjoyed when I found out we'd have more time to spend in Santorini as well as a chance to explore new destinations in the Mediterranean. It's hard not to love Greece.


7/25/15 Venice, Italy

With the end of one cruise comes the start of another. This is our first true back-to-back cruise on the same ship and everything. We waited for the morning rush of disembarking passengers before getting off ourselves. We hopped on the People Mover (a monorail) which took us to Venice proper (Piazza di Roma). Our first order of business was figuring out how to get to our hotel (for my mom, brother, and myself) and how to get to the airport (for my dad) so that we could be prepared for the end of this Greek Isles cruise. Once that was accomplished, we hunted down a gondola (I took all those photos from the gondola myself) to take us around the Venetian canals. Turns out they only sing in the movies but our guy did spend a good chunk of our half hour on the phone.

A boat approaching a traffic light in a canal.
San Marco Cathedral (click to enlarge and see details!)
During our ride, we saw a Godfather t-shirt in a shop display, solidifying it as our first stop after getting off the gondola. From there, we made our (incredibly slow) way to San Marco Square and the Rialto Bridge. We kept stopping to check out little shops or take pictures, turning what would’ve been a 30 minute walk into nearly two hours. I didn’t even realize when we crossed the Rialto Bridge when we got there because it seemed to be under construction and it was lined with shops. We’d have to get on another bridge to see it in its entirety (if that’s even possible with all the scaffolding). San Marco Square, however, was grand and gorgeous. We got there in time to hear the Campanile bell tower (one of the most recognizable Venetian landmarks) chime and I definitely made sure to take my jumping pictures. Since we didn’t have a tour guide, I didn’t learn the significance of any of these landmarks but they were beautiful in and of themselves. It took us so long to get there that we had to turn around soon after we’d arrived in order to make it back to the ship before it left without us. Surprisingly to everybody but me, I was able to take us back the exact way we came. It isn’t as easy as it sounds considering the alleys are so narrow and they all look pretty much the same with little room for landmarks.

On the Rialto Bridge
Campanile bell tower

Once we’d returned to the ship and showered, we went up to the buffet to get a good view of our sailing away. The captain took us around the city so we got a view of San Marco Square from the outside in. When we’d had our fill, we left everybody on the top decks gaping at the ocean to grab good seats for the Welcome Aboard Show in the Stardust Theater, a sampler for all the shows to come on this week of the Jade. 

7/26/15 At Sea

Today is our last sea day before we have four back-to-back port-of-calls so we need to get as much rest in as we can. I had a couple things I wanted to get done and the easiest thing to check off my list was checking a book out from the library. When I got up there, the book I’d been eyeing was nowhere to be seen. I perused the shelves for a while and ended up racing my brother in a game of Sudoku. Having not yet eaten, we searched for our parents so we could head to the Grand Pacific restaurant for lunch. There seems to be two or three different lunch menus for the main dining rooms so we’ve had the same things three times already but I’m not complaining. One of the dessert options is a dish called roasted peach, which is easily my favorite dessert ever. It has the perfect balance of flavors and it’s a great finish to a meal.

How will I survive without roasted peach?!
Since we’re at sea, there was an afternoon show in the Stardust Theater. Today’s was Music of Broadway & the West End Cabaret. It was a nice lowkey show that included a mix of songs from classic musicals as well as more current ones. The Jade Production singers are extremely talented and who can turn down show tunes?!

Hanging out with my uneven tan and a jellyfish that won't sting me.
Since sea days are slow, we didn’t do much else until dinner and the show. Tonight’s entertainment was Haines Magic. It was the same show we saw last week so we were able to use this show as an opportunity to dissect the illusions. Some were easier to figure out than others but that finale still stumped us. It’s performed with inhuman speed and precision. They said it took two years to perfect it but I’m surprised it didn’t take longer. As usual, that was the end of our night. Even with naps a relaxing day at sea can be exhausting.

7/27/15 Corfu, Greece

Display of kumquat liquor.
We hadn’t booked any tours or made any plans for Corfu so we decided we’d just walk through Old Town (after chilling inside the terminal and taking advantage of the free wifi, of course). Corfu is the only European place that grows kumquats (and it’s one of Corfu's main exports) so walking through the streets, you’ll find a lot of candied kumquats and bottles of kumquat liquor. I was looking forward to eating some fresh kumquats but I was disappointed by even the grocery stores. We strolled leisurely through the streets of Old Town Corfu, picking up souvenirs here and there, and taking in the atmosphere. We eventually made our way to the Liston Promenade but by then we had had our fill of souvenirs and it was about time to head back to the ship. On our way back, we had a great view of the Old Fortress. We didn’t have time to go inside but we got pictures of the exterior. We also figured that since we could see the ship, we weren’t too far from the port. On our way in, we’d taken the bus and the walk back seemed to cover so much more distance. The heat and humidity were definitely no help. Thank goodness for the temperate cruise ship air conditioning.

Old Fortress. Very imposing.
The show today was called Showdown, which a dancer described as a cross between American Idol and a Motown X-Factor. There were elements of audience participation and each of the “contestants” had their own set of songs. We watched the first showing so that we would have the chance to return for the second showing and possibly catch the contestant that didn’t make it the first time around. The combination of nostalgic oldies and energetic dance numbers was a recipe for a good time.

7/28/15 Santorini, Greece

Ferry between Perissa and Kamari
A vibrant welcome
Today’s schedule was different from any other port I’ve been to. We didn’t get to Santorini until one in the afternoon so the morning was similar to an at sea morning. We were able to sleep in and save energy for a day at the beach. Santorini has a black beach, red beach, and a white beach as a result of its volcanic activity. The entire island is actually what was left over after a particularly violent eruption and the caldera is where the cruise ships “dock” (Santorini actually requires tenders to get to shore). After a long cable car line and a half hour bus ride, we made it to Kamari beach, the black beach. Now if you know me, you’d know I hate the beach with a fiery passion. I despise it so much that I could cry just thinking about it. But since my family was so excited for it, I thought I’d try to make the best of it. I did collect a handful of cool rocks since it was quite a pebbly beach but at the end of the day there was nothing to make my time at the beach worth it. If you like beaches, you’d probably enjoy this one if only for the novelty of it (the pebbles hurt to walk on and they get really hot but it’s volcanic rock so that’s cool). I left that beach wet and salty with my feet in pain, chafing thighs, and a pair of broken sunglasses. Thankfully, the next part of my day was about four trillion times better. During our previous visit to Santorini, we’d spotted an eatery called Obelix (named after the character in Asterix and Obelix). We didn’t have a chance to try it when we were here last time but we made a point to have some gyros this time around. I would highly recommend this place to anybody visiting Santorini. Their gyros come in slabs of meat unlike the kinds you find in America that are all ground up and stuck back together. When we finished our gyro pitas, we still weren’t satisfied so we ordered a couple souvlaki sticks. Oh man was that the best decision. Perfectly crisp on the outside but nice and tender on the inside. Not tough at all and no meat stuck in my teeth. I’m drooling just thinking about it. If you need any more reason to go, their wifi is very speedy. It takes a bit to get connected but once you’re in, you’re golden.

Pebbly black beach
They didn't stand a chance. (x)





You can't miss it.
Souvlaki sent from heaven above.
On our way back to the cable cars, we picked up a pair of cheap (quality, not monetarily) “Ray-Ban” (We all know they’re not. Who are you trying to fool?) sunglasses that could hold me over until I can find myself another pair as perfect as the ones I had. Then we hit the line for the cable cars. While the line still looked long, it hid three turns that made it significantly longer. Not that I’m complaining. Any line for the cable cars is better than the donkey path (for safety reasons as well as, well, that thing is a hike, to put it lightly). Since the last tender left at nine o’clock, there was only one showing of Angels. We decided not to go since we’d have to rush to make it and we’d already seen the show anyway and I instead spent that time catching up on this blog post because waiting until the next at sea day would leave my attached to this computer all day (and then some). 

7/29/15 Mykonos, Greece

Those famous stone alleys
Our main goal for the day was to get to the windmills that Mykonos is famous for. From where we docked, the town was a shuttle bus and a short walk away. Following the path that all the other tourists were walking, we were led into the narrow stone alleys lined with white buildings that most Greeks Isles are known for. Having wandered the streets, picked up some souvenirs, and sent a postcard to Amy, we decided it was time to make haste to the windmills so that we could make it back to the ship by the 3:30pm all aboard time. Walking around Mykonos, I could definitely see why windmills are a smart decision. It is definitely the breeziest of the islands that we visited and the captain said that this was actually a mild day. It’s not hard to see why Mykonos is such a popular tourist destination. Right next to the windmills is what’s called Little Venice. I don’t have an explanation for this because we didn’t have a tour guide or anything but there are shops and restaurants right up on the water, which I guess is where the name comes from. The entire town is picturesque and the streets are charming (albeit dangerous if you are not paying attention to the cars that can just barely squeeze through) but everything is so expensive. They know tourists are coming and they’re gonna milk ‘em for all they got. It was a hot day but beautiful nonetheless.

Mykonos Windmills
We had been looking forward to the Oh What A Night! show ever since that first night when they gave us a teaser during the Welcome Aboard Show. We loved it so much that Gordon and I went back to watch the second show only an hour later. Their choreography is so much fun and their voices are incredible. Their show is hands down my favorite of the entire trip. Including Elements and Men of Motown. They were that good. Oh What A Night! is a tribute band for Frankie Valli & the Four Seasons and they introduced me to a whole slew of songs and Gordon and I still have stuck in our heads. They’re doing shows and touring nonstop so hopefully they’ll come by my neck of the woods some time so we can go again and bring our friends this time. It was great seeing them on a cruise because we run into them all around the ship so it feels like we’re brushing elbows with celebrities.

7/30/15 Olympia, Greece

Original Olympic stadium. Tourists for scale.
Tunnel between Olympic Stadium and training fields.
Another port, another day to wing. Since we were docked right next to the downtown of Katakolo, we were bombarded with offers from taxis and bus services to take us to Ancient Olympia, where the original Olympic Games were held and where the torch still gets lit for every Games. Keeping in mind that I live for the Olympics (just wait until Rio 2016 and follow me on Twitter), this was the port I was most excited for on this cruise. We got a pretty good deal on the bus and we were on our way. (There was a man on the bus that looked like an older Percy Jackson with the dark hair and the sea green eyes… It gave me hope for the poor demigod.) It’s a shame that we didn’t have a couple days there because then I could go to the museums (Museum of the history of the Olympic Games??? Those are all my favorite things in one). But alas, we only had two hours so it was better to not even tempt myself. We bought tickets to the archeological site and explored just that instead. I kind of wish we had a tour guide to take us to the places of interest but at the same time, I’m glad we had the chance to go at our own pace. There were info boards for each site (which didn’t explain much if you didn’t already know who the people were or why a certain thing is significant) so it wasn’t like we were completely in the dark. It was really cool getting to see the original stadium. I cannot believe people actually ran around that thing. It was huge and hot. Just taking a couple pictures was enough for me. There was also a Temple of Zeus that was pretty magnificent. All over the ground there were pieces of columns that are waiting to be restored and put back together. It was a sight to see. We also got to see Hera’s Altar, which is where the torch gets lit using a parabolic mirror for each Games. We spent most of our time in the archeological site (taking pictures and trying not to die of heat stroke) but we did have some leftover time to visit the town. It was quaint and cozy and blessedly had a market where we could buy water. We had lunch back on the ship but seeing as we had a couple hours left before all aboard, my mom and I went back into Katakolo to do some shopping. Olympia knows that they’re the last port for any cruise stopping there so they make sure to supply souvenirs from Athens and all of the other Greek Isles just in case you missed anything. We actually did end up picking up some things that we regretted not buying on other islands so I’d say their business plan is quite clever.


Temple of Zeus (there's not much left)
Hera's Altar (doesn't look like much but x (torch lighting starts at 5:45))
The coolest graffiti I've ever seen.
The second to last night of the cruise means Elements. I’ve raved about this show in my previous Travelog and while this show had a couple more bumps, it was just as good. Having learned from our previous experience, we chose seats in the back of the theater. It was a completely different experience from sitting in the front. The first time we saw the show it was almost like we were part of the production. There were things happening all around us and we were able to notice the little details of the costumes, makeup, set, and other mise-en-scene. This second time, we got to get the full picture and watch the show as a whole. I would suggest sitting in the back half of the theater if you only get to see it once so you’re not left with neck cramps and whiplash but if you ever do get a chance to see it a second time, sitting in the front is a unique experience and it makes you feel like the show is happening to you.

*I just want to note that I fell down right in front of the Grand Pacific restaurant because I was not paying attention to a ramp and nobody laughed as hard as I did. I didn’t even trip over anything it was a down ramp and I fell forward. It was so funny that I was on the verge of tears. It was one of those moments that I will randomly think about for the rest of my life and crack up while everybody stares at me like I’ve gone mad.

**There was also a blackout for a minute when something in one of the engines broke. Definitely not something I’d experienced before and in our scramble to get to the window to see where the black smoke was coming from, we accidentally put too much weight on the collapsible bed and broke it. Whoops.

7/31/15 At Sea

Our last day on this ship. Funny how just one week ago I was laughing at the people sad about leaving because I had another seven days. I can’t say I’m sad, really. This has been a really fulfilling trip and I got to experience new things as well as revisit some places where I didn’t get enough. Packing up the stateroom and blogging are bound to take up most of the day (we seriously spread out) but we still have to make time for some entertainment. Today we got to see the International Crew Talent Show in its entirety since we missed the beginning of it the first cruise. It was more or less the same show but this time we knew what to look out for.

Between the talent show and the night’s entertainment, we had some free time to tie up loose ends and I was finally able to grab a table in the library to get some writing done.

My writing station in the library.
The farewell show for this cruise was Maestranza, a Spanish ballet. I was so exhausted just watching them dance up on stage I was ready to crash when it was over and it was hardly 8:30pm. Instead, we went up to the buffet for one last soft serve ice cream (with colorful sprinkles, of course) before closing out our suitcases and setting them out for the crew to pick up. 


Man oh man do I love Greece. Although the heat was borderline unbearable and we didn't have all the time in the world, I had such a great time exploring and experiencing the Greek Isles. I would say I'm satisfied but that implies I would be fine not ever returning! That couldn't be further from the truth. Reliving it via this Travelog was fun and all but visiting any of these islands again would be well worth the trip. Until then, I'll sustain myself with the memories I've made... and maybe plan for the next trip. One day is simply not enough!

If you missed the first two weeks of my trip, you can catch up here and here! Don't forget to check back next week for the final Travelog of this trip. We're going to Venice! Also, if you've been reading my blog for any amount of time, one of the people that consistently pops up in my posts is Allison (this is the link you're used to seeing) so you're probably familiar with her by now. This semester, she's gone abroad to study and she started a Tumblr to document her time in Switzerland and Rwanda, among other places. Be sure to check Allison out (linked is her new travel blog)!


Talk to you soon!

xo, Yvette

8 comments:

  1. 1) This post is so lowkey yamy (peaches, jellyfish, gyros, POSTCARD) it's basically highkey yamy
    2) Postcard looks real cute on my dresser <3
    3) Which do you hate more: beaches or bread?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1) yamy and chill
      2) I'm glad you like it! The search for a stamp and a place to write was no walk in the park.
      3) Beaches by a tenfold. There are some breads that I like but beaches are my friend 0% of the time.

      Delete
  2. I love kumquats! I've seen them for sale at Pike Place before. In February I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're so much fun to eat! The peel makes your mouth tingly.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful Greece bags photo. Love your Travelog. Follow every week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that photo, too. I wonder who took it... ;)

      Delete
  4. I actually like the oceanview from your writing desk too, seems like you could see all the way across to the other side of the globe. Where on land can you get such a view by your desk?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very relaxing watching the waves as I was writing. It was like a real life screensaver!

      Delete