Sunday, April 5, 2015

#hairoftheweek: Reverse Pull Through

Happy Easter! I hope everybody is having a lovely day and spending some quality time with their families. I don't celebrate Easter but I do like to get in on the festivities. In my previous #hairoftheweek post, #tbt Braided Braid, I've hidden a little Easter egg. You may want to consider checking it out (it made me laugh-cry).

There are a couple of exciting things coming up on xo, Yvette, so to ensure you never miss a post, I'd either follow this blog on bloglovin or via email, if that's more your style.

The Process:

This is a hairstyle I more or less discovered on my own but there are plenty of tutorials on this. The catch is that literally everybody else calls this the pull through braid. Whoops. Since I used a shortcut, I figured that this method was the "reverse" of  the braid. It wasn't. I'm clearly not always the brightest bulb. I didn't notice my mistake until after I had plastered this hairstyle all over social media so I just decided to roll with it. No point crying over spilled milk. 

The Tutorial:

The reason I thought this braid was "reverse" was because instead of actually pulling the back section through the front section, I split the front section into two strands and tied them together behind the back section. The semantics threw me off. Either way, it's essentially the same thing. Switch the places of the two sections. The only thing you have to remember is to get the back section inside the front section. In a true reverse pull through, you would do the opposite, obviously. Here's a tutorial. I will now retire to my box of shame.

The Result:

4.1.15 reverse pull through (x)
It's literally just a pull through. How did I miss that. I will be eternally face-palming over this one.

The Verdict:

Despite my slip of the tongue, so to speak, I am still pleased with this braid. I was worried it might look a bit too much like the Bobbles from Spring 2014 but comparing the two, there are very distinct differences. Looking back, it may have been easier to literally pull the hair through. I'm not sure how clean it would look, though. By the time I got to the bottom of this ponytail, I was not having an easy time getting the front strands to stay behind the back section. I think it would look really cute if you used colorful rubber bands because you can see how they peek out in the braid. Personally, I had a good time wiggling this ponytail around like a worm. Not sure if anybody else literally plays with their hair but that's how I spend my free time.


Don't forget to follow me on Instagram! The next #hairoftheweek post will go up on Wednesday for a special someone's birthday so keep an eye out for that. Let me know what you think of this one in the comments below!


Talk to you soon!

xo, Yvette 

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I appreciate that. I always seem to start off every season on a not-so great note.

      Delete
  2. It's okay that you had a talk-o. Everybody has talk-o's. It still looks great and I probably wouldn't know the difference. Are the horizontal lines in it hair or the hair ties peaking through that you mentioned?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The horizontal lines are, in fact, the elastics.

      Delete
  3. break all the rules, girl
    (really stresssin about that easter egg comment I can't find it this is a terrible feeling?????)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (are you looking in the right post bc you can't miss it)

      Delete