Sunday, April 19, 2015

#hairoftheweek: Dutch Side Pony

I have been highly unproductive this week. It didn't help that, although this hairstyle is an Yvette original, I created it at the beginning of the school year. Since I created this hairstyle specifically for this occasion, it's been on hold for a while. What's the occasion, you ask? I'm celebrating the fact that Allison finally sent me the package she'd been holding on to for who knows how long. I'm so happy that she got around to sending it and I can officially sport some Virginia Tech gear.

The Process:

Back in Fall Quarter, I was testing out some new ideas and this one kinda happened. While I was working through the kinks, I had Allison give me feedback at every stage. Since she was such a help in the creative process, I decided I'd dedicate this hairstyle to her. At the time, I knew that she'd be sending me a t-shirt representing her school in some fashion so I thought I'd wait to for that to arrive before introducing the Dutch Side Pony to the world.

The Tutorial:

Y'all know I can't create something unless it's really easy. This is no different. What you see is what you get. Start of tying your hair to one side. Then you take a small section of hair from the side of the ponytail and start Dutch braiding. The sizes of the strands you take are trial and error but I always take the hair closest to the braid first before moving to the other side of the ponytail. That way, you can see each strand of hair flowing into the braid.

The Result:

4.17.15 dutch side pony (x)

For this #hairofthweek photo, I had to choose between getting enough of the shirt or getting a good shot of the hair. I went for the shirt because I figured I could take a close-up of just the hair and stick it in my blog post. Lucky for you, you read my blog posts. ;)
wow that hair is real close

The Verdict:

This is a fun variation on a side ponytail, and I guess a side braid as well. I think it'd look better if the hair going into the braid were fluffier to make them stand out even more. This is especially true since my hair is so long, it ends up looking more just like a braid. Even though my hair is quite lengthy, I do have some shorter pieces and all of them seemed to congregate at the top of the braid. By the time I got back from class, there were little wispy ends poking out everywhere. I thought it was endearing (as endearing as hair can be) but that might bother some people, in which case, this might not be the hairstyle for you. If you have a more creative name for this hairstyle, I'd love to hear it. Naming is hard. (Eventually you end up with twenty "Dutch Side Ponys" and it's really hard to keep track.)


Don't forget to like this photo on Instagram if you haven't already and follow me while you're there to keep up with the latest #hairoftheweek posts. If you have a Tumblr and want to stay updated on this blog, this is the place for you. If you don't, I would recommend following this blog via email (you can do so in the box to the right) or by following this blog (and many others) on bloglovin. If you simply have a superb memory, you can find new posts on this blog at 12:30pm PDT on Sundays and 4:00pm PDT on Wednesdays.


Talk to you soon!

xo, Yvette

6 comments:

  1. DEDICATED TO ME I AM SO HONORED.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU WERE A GREAT HELP BUT I WAITED FOR /SO LONG/.

      Delete
  2. Yvette you said "y'all" move to Alabama with me

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could think of a good name right now. Anyway, it's really cool how it kind of twists at the top and then looks like a normal braid toward the bottom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does, doesn't it? I hadn't thought of it like that.

      Delete