Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Book Talk: Duology Recommendations

There are times when you want a story that's a little longer than a stand alone but a trilogy or series feels like too much commitment. This is where duologies come in. In the last couple years, trilogies have been a trend in the book industry, leaving other types of stories overlooked. In this post, you're going to find five of my favorite duologies that'll hopefully catch your eye.


The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh


[The Wrath and the Dawn // The Rose and the Dagger]
Published: May 12th, 2015 - May 3rd, 2016
Genre: Fantasy/Fairytale Retelling/Romance
Average Page Count: 388 pages (The Rose and the Dagger page count currently unavailable)

Fairytale retellings are nothing new but Ahdieh brings a new element to the table. She took her inspiration from One Thousand and One Nights and applied that to the classic Bluebeard story, which is a retelling of Beauty and the Beast in and of itself. It's romantic and lusty and the characters are so complex. I love the world building and the relationships, not just between Sharhzad and Khalid, but also between Sharhzad and the secondary characters (especially the women). I can't speak for The Rose and the Dagger because it hasn't come out yet but The Wrath and the Dawn was so amazing that I'm confident Ahdieh can churn out another amazing read. If you want to know more about The Wrath and the Dawn, it was in my September Wrap Up.

The Assassin's Curse by Cassandra Rose Clarke

[The Assassin's Curse // The Pirate's Wish]
Published: October 2nd, 2012 - June 18th, 2013
Genre: Fantasy
Average Page Count: 314 pages

While The Assassin's Curse and The Pirate's Wish are also fantasy, they could not be any more different from The Wrath and the Dawn. This is a world of pirates and magic and mythical creatures. We get to experience this world from a pirate girl's point of view. The fantastical elements are captivating and it makes you want more. You need to pick up this duology to full understand how fun and exciting this world and story is. There's also a love story arc thrown in there but I wouldn't exactly call it romance. At least, not if you don't want to get on Ananna's bad side. If even after the two novels, you're still wanting more (like me) then you'll be happy to hear there are two prequel novellas to help ease you into the grieving process. These are a couple of fun, fast reads that will satisfy a light fantasy kick. If you want to know more about The Assassin's Curse, it was in my July Wrap Up. If you want to know more about The Pirate's Wish, it was in my September Wrap Up.

To All The Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han

[To All the Boys I've Loved Before // P.S. I Still Love You]
Published: April 15th, 2014 - May 26th, 2015
Genre: Contemporary/Romance
Average Page Count: 346 pages

You know those times when you're stuck in a reading slump and the only remedy is a fluffy read to get you back into it? This duology by Jenny Han is perfect for that. The angst and drama is nothing revolutionary but it's fun to get invested in these characters' lives. Another reason to pick up this book is the protagonist and her sisters are half Korean-half white. It's nice getting some representation in any capacity. I know it can get boring reading about a girl who does nothing but fawn over boys so it's a good thing that this duology includes wonderful familial relationships and even explores Lara Jean's relationships with her other friends along with the development of her relationships with all the boys she's loved before. If you want to know more about P.S. I Still Love You, it was in my August Wrap Up.

Control by Lydia Kang

[Control // Catalyst]
Published: December 26th, 2013 - March 25th, 2015
Genre: Science Fiction
Average Page Count: 396 pages

Control is one of those books I would not have thought to pick up if it wasn't recommended to me but I'm very glad it made it onto my radar. Set in a world where experiments have been conducted on a select few humans, there is a small population of people who have traits that, in another world, would be considered powers or abilities. But because these "mutants" are frowned upon, there are safe houses set up around this broken America to help them blend in and hide. Even though they aren't accepted by society, there are organizations who want them for purposes that maybe aren't so kosher. The storyline is similar to X-Men in that they have to face their adversaries on top of dealing with societal pressures and discrimination. sIf you want to know more about Catalyst, it was in my September Wrap Up (it's a long paragraph that also briefly recaps Control).

Bumped by Megan McCafferty

[Bumped // Thumped]
Published: April 26th, 2011 - April 24th, 2012
Genre: Romance/Dystopian
Average Page Count: 306 pages

Imagine a world where nobody can conceive after eighteen. That's enough for me to classify this book as dystopian. It's no surprise that teen girls are now a hot commodity to keep humanity alive. What is surprising is the fact that this book is actually pretty lighthearted and doesn't have that depressing vibe that a lot of other dystopians have. The light tone might have something to do with the dynamic between the twin sisters that were separated at birth. At the start of Bumped, they find out about each other and clash instantly due to their very different upbringings. Amongst all the drama, there are also the love interests, which add another layer of fun to the mix. The inciting incident is something that would change anybody's life, let alone two twins who just met and could have nothing less in common. When I read this book, I was sending some of the one-liners I found hilarious to my friends. It's a hoot and a half. 


Let me know if you've read or plan on reading any of these duologies! If you've read any duologies that aren't on this list and maybe should be, leave them in the comments below! There's something about duologies that is so satisfying. You aren't bogged down by the burden of a trilogy or a series but you get more to whet your palate with than a stand alone. I'm such a big fan of duologies that you might have to keep an eye out for a possible part two to this post in the future.

Want more books? I've got my September Wrap Up ready for your reading pleasure! Also check out my most recent #hairoftheweek post on the Swoopy Half Up! As always, don't forget to follow xo, Yvette via email or on Google+ (in the sidebar) and check out my Goodreads page to see what I'm currently reading!


Talk to you soon!

xo, Yvette

5 comments:

  1. "You know those times when you're stuck in a reading slump" did u mean the last ten years of my life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay wait in my head it was two years but my fingers typed ten

      Delete
    2. You've lived through a lot. Do you like fantasy because I think The Assassin's Curse would be a really fun one for you.

      Delete
  2. I've never really thought about reading duologies, probably because I never knew they really existed. Whoever thought up the concept of only two books in a series was genius.

    ReplyDelete